Notices

Advice on fighting tickets in Montreal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on fighting tickets in Montreal?

Anyone have any recommendations for fighting a speeding ticket that my wife got in Montreal (Westmount).

Any luck fighting them in person or is it better to hire a consultant. Her goal is to eliminate or at least reduce the charges to prevent any points on her record and the associated hike in her insurance premium.

Some background on the citation if it helps.

My wife was pulled over on The Boulevard back on the 10th of Feb. She was ticketed for what she assumed was an improper lane change as she navigated around a stopped delivery truck, but when she read the ticket carefully later at work she realized the ticket was for using a cell phone while driving. In her wisdom she decided to go back to the spot where she was pulled over to see if the officer was still there, which he was, and still pulling over cars maneuvering around the same truck. She questioned why she was cited for the handheld device when she didn’t have one. The officer took her ticket and tore it up and then told her she would be cited for speeding. He did not give her the ticket there but said he would mail it to her. She asked what speed she had been going but he could not tell her.
Well the ticket arrived today and she was, cited for going 51km/h in a 30km/h zone.

TIA,
Aron
Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Aron,

There's an association in Montreal led by an ex cop which is called " sos ticket " or something like that.
They help you in your fight against the system,which in your wife's case seems to be unfair to say the least...
Check out their website,it should be of some help to you !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
Her goal is to eliminate or at least reduce the charges to prevent any points on her record and the associated hike in her insurance premium.
I think it may have been mentioned before, but to an insurance company a moving violation is a moving violation, whether you were 1 km/h or 100 km/h over the speed limit, if you received a ticket it will/may affect your premium. The points system only impacts the ministry of transportation.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by snasrulla
I think it may have been mentioned before, but to an insurance company a moving violation is a moving violation, whether you were 1 km/h or 100 km/h over the speed limit, if you received a ticket it will/may affect your premium. The points system only impacts the ministry of transportation.
i dont know about that... the only 2 speeding tickets i have been convicted of over the last 6-7 years of Driving, has been Reduced to Minor Speeding NO Points... my Insurance has never gone up for this

my paralegal does MTL i think aswell, pm if you want his info
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Thanks for the leads. I'll pass them on to her. She's back in Montreal this week.

Aron
Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Boulevard has a ridiculous speed limit
Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zookie
i dont know about that... the only 2 speeding tickets i have been convicted of over the last 6-7 years of Driving, has been Reduced to Minor Speeding NO Points... my Insurance has never gone up for this

my paralegal does MTL i think aswell, pm if you want his info
If you change your insurance company provider, they will pull an abstract, if you stay with the same company, there may be a chance that they do not pull the abstract and no change the premium.

I will ask a friend of mine who has been in the insurance industry for years to confirm, but I recall him telling me this years ago.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

If you change your insurance company provider, they will pull an abstract, if you stay with the same company, there may be a chance that they do not pull the abstract and no change the premium.

I will ask a friend of mine who has been in the insurance industry for years to confirm, but I recall him telling me this years ago.
Both my Tickets showed up on Renewal... been with RBC since Day One, maybe im a Loyal Customer...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zookie
Both my Tickets showed up on Renewal... been with RBC since Day One, maybe im a Loyal Customer...
Just got off the phone with my buddy, and thats exactly what he said. If you have been a loyal customer they may waive increases for one or two minor convictions. However, even on renewal they don't necessarily run abstracts, they do it randomly. Anytime you do get any moving violation your insurance company "has the right" to increase our premiums, they may choose not to.

If you change your provider they will run an abstract and it will affect your premium. But he did confirm the points thing is a ministry thing, not an insurance thing.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

yup i can confirm Sultans findings ,.. have been a loya Royal bank customer for years .. the ticets are all counted by the insurnace company IF they run an abstract an dit doesn't necesarily trigger an increase .. my last abstact was run 2003.. i keep paying they leave me alone ..
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
Anyone have any recommendations for fighting a speeding ticket that my wife got in Montreal (Westmount).

Any luck fighting them in person or is it better to hire a consultant. Her goal is to eliminate or at least reduce the charges to prevent any points on her record and the associated hike in her insurance premium.

Some background on the citation if it helps.

My wife was pulled over on The Boulevard back on the 10th of Feb. She was ticketed for what she assumed was an improper lane change as she navigated around a stopped delivery truck, but when she read the ticket carefully later at work she realized the ticket was for using a cell phone while driving. In her wisdom she decided to go back to the spot where she was pulled over to see if the officer was still there, which he was, and still pulling over cars maneuvering around the same truck. She questioned why she was cited for the handheld device when she didn’t have one. The officer took her ticket and tore it up and then told her she would be cited for speeding. He did not give her the ticket there but said he would mail it to her. She asked what speed she had been going but he could not tell her.
Well the ticket arrived today and she was, cited for going 51km/h in a 30km/h zone.

TIA,
Aron
I know a thing or 2 about fighting tickets in Mtl....I also have a couple of Lawyers that do this for a living.....BTW, SOS Tickets suck!!! PM me of you want mroe info...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Every charge (HTA) in Ontario (last copy of ticket) is sent to Kingston where it it microfilmed and copies then sent back to Keele st. I can't tell you any more then that but I can 'suggest' that tickets can be sorted by company name and 'perhaps' from there compiled by month. There 'may' even be new technology soon that will speed the suggested process up. Data becomes cheaper the more you download I hear. Monthly fees are nothing and could pay for fees in less then a three doz tickets, in theory.

If you have not had a raise in insurance (if you have tickets) it is because of different factors such as you have not changed insurance companies or there has been no reason that you have been flagged for a 'look see' such as an at fault accident or maybe you give them volume business such as several cars and house/life insurance etc. However: All CC of C convictions are flagged for the industry.

But it isn't that they don't know or cannot know if they choose to find out how many tickets you have and the days of single manifest upon 'request' downloads are way behind us (15 years ago). Now it's a mouse click away and a .tiff file displayed on a screen.

If you have a few tickets - suck up the small increase with your current company - don't change to another or you will pay dearly. Do not lie about tickets to a new firm under the idea that you can say sorry after if caught. They will cancel your policy. When you hunt for a new firm after this you will find yourself in the facility section of the insurance industry at about a 300% plus increase. Seen it happen to people. Or not paying your insurance - say two cheques bounced or NSF in a one year period and your in $purgatory$. Only industry in the world with this type of draconian penalties that are sanctioned by the Government. No other industry has this much control or power over you and with very little oversight from the Superintendent of Insurance for Ontario - who is pretty much a rubber stamper for what the industry whats. They pretty much poke a stick as far up your wazoo as they like and tell you to smile or it could get worse.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Thanks for all the great info.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Aron

Quick Reply: Advice on fighting tickets in Montreal?