Notices

Moving to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

where are you moving from?
Jim how does your product work? is it just dark so people can't see in?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

DRL's statistically improve YOUR safety - avoid one fender bender because your Xenon's were on and you're well ahead of the B/E curve based on dubvious accellerated wear on a set of (admittedly not cheap) bulbs.

Plus - since 95% of cars here have DRL's - your truck will actually disappear to many drivers, driving up the chance of an accident for you.

Fog's will prolly get you the best benefit, no "veiling glare" for others and lower running costs - but I just hope you run "something" so everyone wins.

On the flip side - tinting ANY window that obstructs the ability of other drivers to see YOU is downright foolish. A critical factor in safe driving is communication - and that includes being able to "read" what another driver is doing, i.e. are they looking at you or not? Tint your windows and others can't tell if you've looked over to see you coming or not. Just makes things that much more dangerous.

Heck ALL tiniting is poor form in my opinion - since it impedes following cars from looking "through" your big truck and "read the play" as it evolves further up the road.

Boy - for a guy who drives rally cars - I'm curiously keen on safety eh? Hmmm, maybe I've crashed enough cars at high speed to CARE about being safe? Must be it. ; )

RK
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webbie
- find out the radio code if any
- disconnect the battery
- do not fully close the hook, leave a gap there, put something there to jam it just in case

The worst case is you need a jump start, or take the battery home and charge it up, that why you don't fully close the hook.
You could purchase a Manual Battery Disconnect from Princess Auto. You install it on the battery terminal, turn the green **** to disconnect the battery, serves as a theft deterent as well.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
DRL's statistically improve YOUR safety - avoid one fender bender because your Xenon's were on and you're well ahead of the B/E curve based on dubvious accellerated wear on a set of (admittedly not cheap) bulbs.

Plus - since 95% of cars here have DRL's - your truck will actually disappear to many drivers, driving up the chance of an accident for you.

Fog's will prolly get you the best benefit, no "veiling glare" for others and lower running costs - but I just hope you run "something" so everyone wins.

On the flip side - tinting ANY window that obstructs the ability of other drivers to see YOU is downright foolish. A critical factor in safe driving is communication - and that includes being able to "read" what another driver is doing, i.e. are they looking at you or not? Tint your windows and others can't tell if you've looked over to see you coming or not. Just makes things that much more dangerous.

Heck ALL tiniting is poor form in my opinion - since it impedes following cars from looking "through" your big truck and "read the play" as it evolves further up the road.

Boy - for a guy who drives rally cars - I'm curiously keen on safety eh? Hmmm, maybe I've crashed enough cars at high speed to CARE about being safe? Must be it. ; )

RK
security window film is clear, from both inside and out. It's purpose it to keep the glass together and add a few seconds of unexpected effort to the thief so it may (key word may) deter futher time spent at the car. Automotive colour film is different.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah - good point - I stand corrected and a little more informed. Thanks!

RK
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as an out of towner and soon to be intowner

wife is with State farm and the rates are good,
TD is supposed to be expensive

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
1) State Farm, RBC, TD Meloch-Monex, Dominion, Wawanessa, CAA, AXA, Aviva (the last 4 might be the best for cars as they do a 10 star crash free rating bonus).
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
fumoffu
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Moving from Maryland.

I did find that the US vehicle has the option to turn on/off DRL via menu button, so that'll save a few squid.

And from some quick calculations, I can't avoid the duty (Canadian Resident) and HST (GST+PST starting on 7/1) taxes when importing ($10k+) so that's a downer.

Still months away from moving but I'm preparing as much as I can ahead of time.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
fumoffu
8th Gear

I'm sure the insurance rates won't be merciful since I'm <25.

The only downside to security film is if the car fell into the ocean... while inside of it.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

One quick correction, you're actually moving to "Teranno" or "Metro", Canada is actually everything that surrounds that area. Its like the opposite if the US, where the "real" America is in the middle and the edges are "fake" America.

Just kidding, welcome to Canada! Don't forget our beer is higher octane than you're used to.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
The product is clear and quite thick compared to tint films. On side curved tempered glass capable of withstanding multiple impacts by a baseball bat without breaking. The idea is to create a barrier against hijacks and smash and grab robbery that typically happen at traffic lights.

Overlay with various tints is acceptable.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My partner and I just moved here from Chicago and have a permanent US residence in MI. We were able to get a State Farm policy that insures our cars in both countries. Good plan and not much more than what we were paying here. Are you coming in on a work permit or permanent residence?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
fumoffu
8th Gear

PR. Which means I'll be here for a while.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

And from some quick calculations, I can't avoid the duty (Canadian Resident) and HST (GST+PST starting on 7/1) taxes when importing ($10k+) so that's a downer.
I am not sure that is the case. As you are bringing a personal possession with you, you might not have to pay all IIRC. I would suggest that you check on that as I seem to recall than Arnaud (?) did not have to pay on his car when imported.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
fumoffu
8th Gear

Here's the twist, this won't be my first time 'landing' so technically I can't bring the vehicle up tax-free, and I don't fit in the category of returning residents who has been outside for more than a year. So more likely than not, I'll have to fork it up.

I will double check again before I leave as I'd like to keep every penny in my pocket.

Quick Reply: Moving to Canada