Notices

Going to Germany - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to Germany - what would you do?

I just booked a trip to the Fatherland this summer. I'll do the factory & museum tour, head to the track for a day, but what else would you do as a Porsche owner? Any great gear to buy? I'm going with my wife and mom, and have a few family things to do while I'm there, but can certainly get away for a bit.

If you've been to Germany and have some suggestions let me know.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Are you taking the Porsche over?.........If not... just get drunk!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Rent a 911. Go to Nurburgring. Rent a race car there.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
If you've been to Germany and have some suggestions let me know.

Cheers,
Sean
You didn't say how long you are going for and what the purpose of the trip is other than going to the museum.

If you have a rental, head down into Austria for a few days and take in some good roads and scenery like the Hahntennjoch, Gaichtpass, Faschinajoch and many more passes in the area above the A12 and between Feldkirch and Innsbruck.

The Hahntennjoch from Imst, Austria.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
swbatte
Pro

I asked Ronan about shipping the car there. I could buy a used BMW over there for that kind of dough. So, my car will stay on this side of the Atlantic.

We're going for 10 days. There's a wedding and some touristy things we're doing. I'm just looking for some ideas. I like the Porsche rental idea, Austria is an hour away, and the ring is about an hour north.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

We went last year.
Klon is a beautiful city with some cool places to eat along the river, and of course, the cathedral.
Heidelberg Castle is a nice day trip too.
There is an extensive museum in Nurnburg that traces the evolution of European culture from the end of the Ice age all the way up to modern times.
If you are into Castles, Burg Eltz is a very cool one nestled between two mountains, it's near Koblenz.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Be careful about tracking a rental car. You are actually insured at the Ring because its technically a public road, but you can and will get a worldwide ban from the rental company if you are seen. One way to deal with it it to rent from a German firm like Sixt so the ban would only be from them. There are brilliant auto museums. Mercedes is fifteen minutes from Porsche and well worth the visit. BMW is Munich also briliiant.
Of the cities Berlin is the most lively...I love the place and will be there next week' Rhine castles worth a trip, and if you do the Ring its not far too do a day trip. If you are in Bavaria you could do King Ludwig's castle the prototype for the Disney castle.
Make sure you know the rules of the road...entering traffic to the autobahn has priority and hanging out if the fast lane if only good if you are the fastest thing out there. Don't eat or drink if you are driving,and they have stricter alcohol limits. Best not to have even one. If you are a Bugatti fan the National Motor Museum in Mulhouse has the Schlumpf collection, including two Bugatti Royales. Its huge and just over the French Border near Strasbourg,
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
swbatte
Pro

Thanks everyone for the input - good to know info in particular about cars on the ring. Anyone know of a website covering rules of the Road for Deutchland?

I think I'll take a drive down to Austria one of they days we're there. My brother works for BMW, so I'll see if I can see their facility in Munich as well. I don't know how much car stuff my wife will tolerate - but truthfully I'd like to see some the castles again (I was over there as a boy and remember them vividly) as well as just some time to relax.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/regeln.shtml

http://gogermany.about.com/od/planyo...ng-Germany.htm
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there in November of last year on my way back from a work trip to Saudi Arabia. It was a car museum themed trip - 4 museums in 4 days. VW Autostadt in Wolfsburg, Mercedes and Porsche in Stuttgart, and BMW in Munich. All the museums were quite cool. Your wife would probably like all of them because they are are new, are very well designed, and cater to more than just die hard gear heads. I am planning to go back for about 10 days with my wife in a few years to tour around sothern Germany and northern Switzerland. Have a good time.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice to know i am going there this summer!!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Shipping a car to Europe is around $1500, to bring it back should be about the same. For $3K CDN, you can't really buy anything nice. Renting a car (some econobox) for a month will be over $1000.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family went to Austria last year at this time (my mother is from Vienna). If you enjoy hiking make your way up to the Schladming area if you have a chance (3 hrs north of Vienna). This is world cup ski country but at this time of year it is nearly empty...we stayed at a wonderful place called Schuterhof which is a fabulous ski lodge with fantastic food and bevvies and great amenities, and it is cheap at this time of year.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
swbatte
Pro

Originally Posted by Imo000
Shipping a car to Europe is around $1500, to bring it back should be about the same. For $3K CDN, you can't really buy anything nice. Renting a car (some econobox) for a month will be over $1000.
That price can't be by air. Is it by sea? If so it can tie up your car for a couple of months to get it there and back. Give me some more details - I would be interested. My research showed air freight with insurance cost about $10,000 plus to get it there and back.

The off season ideas about the ski lodges is a great idea. I'll chat to my wife about it to.

These are great suggestions - thank-you for all the help & ideas!

Quick Reply: Going to Germany - what would you do?