Notices

Excessive white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive white smoke

Well, pulled the car out of storage this morning and I am now getting a huge amount of white smoke out of the tail pipe. I've had a bit of white smoke in past years but usually after a hundred clicks or so the seals seem to expand and there is only a very small amount thereafter.
This time around it was really bad. The best analogy I can think of is Spyhunter. lol. Seriously though the father-in-law had to back off because he couldn't see for the first several minutes. Got better after I pulled onto the highway, but when I stopped just before pulling into the garage, it got really bad again.
I fear it may be time to go to a shop. I know there have been a few suggestions in the London area, but anyone know of a reputable one that has experience with possible oil leaking into the cylinders? Would like to get this resolved soon so I can enjoy her for the rest of the summer.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

You need to tell us more about your car...year, model, mileage, etc?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pull the plugs and look at the condition. Keep track of which cylinder they came from. If they are clean as a whip I would suspect a head gasket problem on that cylinder. White smoke usually corresponds to coolant being burnt in the cylinder. Check your coolant level as well. That is of course if the smoke/steam is from the exhaust. Good-luck I hope I am wrong. I have been wrong before many times...lol........Bill
Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Kirk930
Instructor

When I pulled my 930 out of storage a few weeks ago, there was a fair bit of white smoke when I first started it. Cleared up after a short while. I figured it was stale gas. No problems since......
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Bill, he drives a 79 911 targa, so not likely any coolant in the cylinder

How far/long did you drive it after getting out of storage? My car was also more smokey than usual this year - seems to be a bit of a common problem, maybe because of the early spring or mild winter, who knows. It took me a good 500 km to fully clear it out, but it did stop smoking after about that.

I would say go have a really good, long, hot drive. Give it some really good mileage (several hundred km at operating temp) before you really get alarmed and start throwing money at it.

If you do need to take it in for service, the only place in London really, is RPP. Many speak well of them, some people speak very badly of them. I've never been there, so can't say myself. But they're the only game in town. If you don't want to go there, the next nearest place is Kitchener, I think.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

Thanks everyone. As was mentioned, I have a 79 SC Targa. It has about 120,000 miles.
The drive home was about 50kms. Not too long of a drive, I know. I guess I was just worried because of the volume as compared to the last couple of years. I plan on pulling the plugs next weekend so we'll see if there's any fouling there. Need to find a magnetic spark plug wrench though. The last plug is always a major pain to get at. Will try Princess Auto to see if they carry one. May have to take a run up to Toronto and back to see if that helps. Maybe I can swing by one of the TO get togethers.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you happen to use one of those ethanol gasoline mixtures when you stored it?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doh.....It sure sounded like a water pumper problem...I should have known better...I'm glad I was wrong and I hope you find your source of the issue. Good-luck....Bill

Quick Reply: Excessive white smoke