Notices

Got a scammer on the line :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Wouldn't it be ironic if this local buyer - a Porsche fan - was Nigerian!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the same thing when I sold a car through autotrader last year. They really need to change the wording on their automated emails, they do sound fishy.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Internet ScamBusters Snippets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Single Biggest Question We Are Being Asked Right Now

Whether we're on the radio doing an interview or in our office, there is one question that is comeing up more than any other. It is:

"I'm selling (or buying) a car online, and I just got an international offer, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate."

The answer is simple: no, it's not legitimate.

We know of NO legitimate international car offers -- regardless of whether you're buying or selling a car. But there are hundreds of people who have been scammed.

There are lots of variants, many of which include counterfeit bank checks and money orders.

This scam is not limited to cars. It is used with other vehicles, such as trucks and motorcycles.

Action: Don't sell or buy a car internationally online.

The runner-up for the most common question is also about buying and selling cars. Usually, these scammers are located somewhere in the US.

They want to use a specific escrow company (and they have a long sob story about why this escrow company is the one to use). This too is a scam.

Action: Be very careful, and use the escrow company of your choice, not theirs.

Don't get taken.
From scambusters.org
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a bit harsh - one of the best markets for early 911s right now is Europe, especially for US sellers, because of how far the Euro goes right now. To say 100% of offers are a scam is a bit of fear-mongering - I'd be frustrated if I were a legit European buyer looking to stretch my wallet as far as possible.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
optionpunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully he's not an RCMP officer
Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
vipola
Racer

Bahh.. don't worry.. just tell him that you always reply that to get scammer away.. it's simple and true.. there no problem with that..

He may even be on this forum and will laff with you about all this
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

well if all international offers are scams .. so much for us buying US cars !!!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by vipola
Bahh.. don't worry.. just tell him that you always reply that to get scammer away.. it's simple and true.. there no problem with that..
That's exactly what I said to him.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Just make sure he doesn't bring a certified cheque from a Nigerian Bank...
GLWS!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

You know it's a scam when you receive an email like the one (of 4 or 5) I recently received while listing a car from my mother-in-laws estate:

I really appreciate your response to my earlier mail.like i said i will like to buy this Car so please do withdraw the advert from the site. I will also like you know that will be paying you via PayPal due to the nature of my Job,am a Sailor and am always use my time on tour and even on sea,presently now in Qatar.But the Car is going to be ship by my Agent in London,United Kingdom .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate your payment via PayPal.

1.Your full name
2.PayPal E-mail Account
3.Your phone number.
4.Your Asking Price

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping the Car to my Agent in London, It's will be pick-up by my Shipping Agent, But concerning this issue, i would like you to send the sum of $600 to my Shipping Agent in London for him to arrange some Document and the money would be add with the payment would be sent to your PayPal Account.
Hope to hear from you soon.
**Have a nice day.

Regard
Sailor,
Ronald Roger S.
The $600 request was just hilarious.... to think people actually fall for these clowns.
I drew him an explicit map with my reply knowing it was more for me than to have any effect on the writer.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, is it legal to impersonate an RCMP? I forget...

LOL

GLWthis guy Chris!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got this one today with that same "Important Sales Lead from Autotrader" title. Now this IS a scam:

I am Alice McQuaide,I saw the ad you placed online in which you stated that you have this vehicle for sale,I have been looking for this type of vehicle for so long Please kindly get back to me if it's still unsold, I would also like to know your price,I am willing to pay what is good for you as am new to buying stuffs online.I would have loved to have a proper look and test drive,but I'm now off for work on the east coast of Brisbane(Australia) sailing,(i am an oceanographer),my method of payment for the item will be through my
PayPal,because that is the only method of payment i have access to here on sea, about the pick-up I think you do not have to bother yourself, i have contacted my pickup company,they will be the ones to come for the pickup at your desired pickup location after I might have sent in the funds into your PayPal.kindly get back to me with a
request for payment from your PayPal to send money as soon as possible.kindly send some pictures of it and remove the advert.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Christien
Race Car

Definitely a scam. How could they possibly get anywhere with this though? You send them your paypal info (just your email address) and they can't drain funds from it. Or does it just continue to where they ask for you bank account info, or for you to send them money?

My "scammer" turned out to be totally legit - came and test drove the car today. Nice guy, very interested.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

they send too much money and ask for you to send the difference...then the funds don't clear.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Christien
Race Car

Oh, that one.

Quick Reply: Got a scammer on the line :)