Notices

Battery Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 10:20 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Did you try Topping up the fluid with distilled water and charging your battery with a charger prior to replacement? That's usually all it takes.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Did you try Topping up the fluid with distilled water and charging your battery with a charger prior to replacement? That's usually all it takes.
I did that last September to my battery, but it is self discharging far too quickly despite repeated slow charges over the winter.

I also performed a load test at 1/2 the CCA and the voltage was dropping far too quickly.

So its either an East Penn, AC Delco or Audi battery (half the price of the Porsche battery) this week.
Old 03-31-2010 | 02:24 AM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah but did you get her number ?
Dude, I was with my father-in-law's brother!!! I'm sure the ICEMAN could have managed a move, but it was well beyond my abilities....besides, i'd lose a lot more than the TTS )
Old 04-05-2010 | 07:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If you have a battery maintainer that plugs in your lighter then plug it in first . it will keep your memory and electronics on life support while you change the battery.
That is fine as long as the battery maintainer puts out pure DC and as long as its current capabilities are greater than any draw due to an interior light, etc.

I attached a cigarette lighter plug and wires to a spare battery and plugged it into the lighter outlet.

NOTE: when you disconnect the battery, make sure the positive terminal is then insulated (wrap a rag around it and tape it up), because powering the car up with a spare battery through the lighter outlet now makes your battery terminal "live". If it shorts to ground, you're in for a surprise.
Old 04-05-2010 | 08:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That is fine as long as the battery maintainer puts out pure DC and as long as its current capabilities are greater than any draw due to an interior light, etc.

I attached a cigarette lighter plug and wires to a spare battery and plugged it into the lighter outlet.

NOTE: when you disconnect the battery, make sure the positive terminal is then insulated (wrap a rag around it and tape it up), because powering the car up with a spare battery through the lighter outlet now makes your battery terminal "live". If it shorts to ground, you're in for a surprise.
that's why you shouldn't do this .. use the maintainer method they can put put a amp or two if needed. Your not going to draw more than 50ma max to keep memmory alive, and you won't risk arc welding your tools to your car.
Old 04-05-2010 | 10:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

that's why you shouldn't do this .. use the maintainer method they can put put a amp or two if needed. Your not going to draw more than 50ma max to keep memory alive, and you won't risk arc welding your tools to your car.
That is why you disconnect the negative first when removing a battery and connect it last when installing a battery. Use this method and you won't weld tools to your car. Furthermore, it won't matter what you are connecting to the cigarette lighter outlet...a maintainer or battery.

Many charging devices are called maintainers. They don't all produce DC.
Old 04-05-2010 | 10:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

By the way, I installed a new battery today. The last one rolled over and died when I did a load test at 1/2 the CCA.

According to East Penn, they are an "exact fit OE replacement battery" and sure enough, they are, right down to every detail on my last OEM Porsche Moll Kamina battery.

East Penn 648MF
Battery group size: 48 (DIN H6).
Specs: 70 Ah, 700 CCA, 875 CA, 120 minutes RC.
Size: 280 mm long, 175 mm wide, 191 mm high.

More East Penn 648MF battery pics.

The original battery that Porsche supplied when the 993 cars were delivered was a group 91 which has the same dimensions as the group 48, but is shorter at 175 mm high. Electrical specs are down a bit as well.
Old 04-06-2010 | 12:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I get my batteries at the local wrecking yard. With a group size number and a tape measure in hand, I can have a choice of two skid full of good used batteries. I pick the newest and best brand name I can find and at $25/each, with a 90 warranty, I can even have a few spares sitting at home for testing purposes. I know this is not what the OP was looking for but maybe it'll be a useful information to someone else that reads this tread.

Quick Reply: Battery Help