Notices

Insurance is a scam

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by forcemaster
Silver Wheel clients BEWARE! I have experienced a theft and 4 months later I'm still waiting! I have had 3 interviews, 1 recorded by tape, 1 verbal, 1 typed, and now have been requested for 1 under oath. I'm a hard working guy thats not into scamming, worked hard to get what I have and have built my car with my own two hands. I drove the car to highschool and have owned it for over 18 years.Trailered the car to the U.S and it was stolen right off of my trailer. Now talking to Pat O'Neil (president) of silver wheels and nobody can help me! Said it's being investigated by Rick Szumlanski
for the past 3 months! I get an e-mail yesterday that he needs a statement under oath and that will take 2 weeks from now and my theft happened in Oct! This insurance is a scam! 4 months without my car or even any coverage! STAY AWAY from Silver Wheels!
Could it be that there is more involved when a Canadian car is stolen and not recovered from the USA?

A friend of mine had to make a claim through Lant (Silver Wheels) when his Plymouth Satellite rolled out of his driveway and into the river across the street from his house... they treated him like royalty and he got the car restored on their dime quickly and without issue.

In fact, I've really heard nothing but good about Lant Insurance, and although I never made a claim while my '72 911 Targa was insured with them, they always made the time to talk to me when I called with a question.

I'd say that your issue is an isolated one, but I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Call a lawyer, have them write the insurance company a letter stating that you'll be looking to recoup costs and interest on your money that they've held up unnecessarily, through the courts if necessary. I'll bet your claim gets settled very quickly.

Insurance is indeed a scam, a racket, if you will. But it helps to know how to play ball with them, and remember that everything is a negotiation. There aren't hard and fast rules, even though they will tell you that there are.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I ignore posters with ONE post count who come on here specifically to post a complaint about a firm after using Google and getting a hit on the term 'Silverwheels' on this thread.

I hate the insurance industry just as much as the next driver here in this Province - but they are a necessary evil - an evil that can be fixed if our Premier had any ***** and his cabinet wasn't in bed with the industry.

This first post here strikes me as a little too 'payback' and as we have no 'other side of the story' to judge anything this person says - we can only take what he says at face value. Oh wait, this is the internet. I take NOTHING at face value.

It's not personal forcemaster but I don't know you, or your driving/claim record so therefore - I don't trust what you posted. But my opinion doesn't matter - just your insurance companies opinion. If your on the level - I hope things work out for you. If not...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Suddenly, the woman whipped the blanket off and threw it at the medics, revealing that the only item of clothing she had on was a pair of closed-toe shoes, Knight said. And then she turned around and noticed Knight, still stopped and now shocked behind the wheel, about 50 feet away.

"She walks directly to me,” he said. “She walks up the hood of my car. And she begins stomping on my windshield, completely naked.”

The woman, who Knight estimated to weigh about 250 pounds, cracked his windshield with the first stomp. She got a couple more in before plainclothes officers pulled her off and handcuffed her as she screamed and wailed, Knight said.
Beats my own deer ran into me story!

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/02...he-naked-city/
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Even with sky-high rates, you do still have to wonder how these companies actually make money. Ottawa got hit with 20cms of snow over the past 24 hours and during the couple of hours of rush-hour yesterday, police reported over 100 accidents here. 100! Imagine what this one snowfall cost the insurance industry in repair claims... and we get snowfalls like this several times a month, for four months a year. And we're just one city. The numbers must be staggering!

Although having said that, having the safe drivers pay for these head-up-the-a$$ mouthbreathers that go around recklessly causing accidents is just wrong. There's no reward for being a safe driver anymore, just a smaller punishment. Boo.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Most people have $500-1000 deductibles. The average fender bender is probably under $1500 in body work to fix, so I'll bet at least 50% of those don't go through insurance.

Insurance companies in Ontario have been posting record profits for several years now. Don't cry for them. THey're making a killing.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

not to mention that once these people make claims they pay for their own claims and then some over the next few years. Insurance companies never lose money. not to mention that they reinsure at lower rates to cover their risk.
I will never feel sorry for any insurance company!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 514 Posts

Reading this makes me think I should not have my car fixed by RBC. I have accident forgiveness on my policy. I'm going to be at fault for the accident, the other car is probably 2-3 k in damage, mine is more like 7k. Is their an advantage to not claiming my car and paying out of pocket? Either way there will be an at fault accident on my record. The adjuster will be out tomorrow, do noes the time for me to cancel the claim.

Edit: it sounds like it won't make a difference for me, either way there is a claim. And I'm sure they will find away to jack my rates in May when I get renewed.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Reading this makes me think I should not have my car fixed by RBC. I have accident forgiveness on my policy. I'm going to be at fault for the accident, the other car is probably 2-3 k in damage, mine is more like 7k. Is their an advantage to not claiming my car and paying out of pocket? Either way there will be an at fault accident on my record. The adjuster will be out tomorrow, do noes the time for me to cancel the claim.

Edit: it sounds like it won't make a difference for me, either way there is a claim. And I'm sure they will find away to jack my rates in May when I get renewed.
..or dropped ... dont be surprised ...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 514 Posts

I hope not, but nothing would surprise me. My renewal documents arrive early May. So it won't be long till I know.

Quick Reply: Insurance is a scam