Notices

Nice car collection "Sultan of Michigan"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly crap !!! Someone who says 80% of these cars are not collectibles is out of his mind or is too much into Porsches and missed out on what is going on elsewhere !!!

European side: Ferrari Enzo, F40, 288 GTO - Porsche Carrera GT, 959, Slant Nose - Bugatti Veyron. He's got a bunch of very expensive european cars that are more current (Maserati, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston-Martin, Rolls-Royce) thus not collector cars yet. For those time will tell.

But on the American car side, WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's not talk about the bunch of current Mustang and Corvette hotrods....Let's talk about all the 50's Corvettes, the 60's Corvettes, the 60' Camaro's, Chevelles, Olds Toronado, Dodge Coronet, the 70 Cuda and Challenger (do you know that a 1970 Hemi Cuda or Challenger can bring half a million or more ? And then the 50's and 60's Corvettes bring between $80k and $200k, have you seen how many he's got ?)

I say this guy is unsanely whealthy !!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TurboS
You were the Sultan of Swing, your new designation is the Sultan of "Beta" Males, and Albert is your chief advisor. lol
Esh, you are relentless... LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by snasrulla
Esh, you are relentless... LOL

Thank You,

I'm working on another DVD (copy for you Mr. Swing), Unfortunately you'll only be able to pick it up at one of the meets. Fortunately, I called your wife on your behalf for permission to attend... LOL j/k (not the DVD part)
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
nthimage
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by The Stig
Using the power of The Google, I found this info on the "elusive" collecter:

He calls himself the “Sultan of Michigan” because he purchased one car from the Sultan of Brunei. His name in Ken Lingenfelter and lives in Brighton, Michigan. He used to own Metropolitan Title Insurance Company and sold it at the height of the market for about $50M and put it in the cars and the warehouse. He recently bought Lingenfelter Corvette after it went bankrupt. He is not related to John Lingenfelter but it makes for a better story.

Nice collection of trickle chargers too. Still a few important cars missing. Surprised I didn't see a Koenigsegg, Pagani or a McLaren F1. I'd have those instead of a Vector W12 or a PT Crusier.
It's amazing the information that is wrong on the internet. Google your friend? Not exactly.

I have never asked, nor will I how much the title company sold for. It's none of my business.

He was cousins with John, but due to the schedule with selling his company, he didn't have time to buy LPE after John died on Christmas of 2003.

Technically, there aren't any cars "missing" as he buys cars he enjoys to drive. Growing up racing on Woodward and Telegraph makes a big imprint on one. Additionally, no Pagani's are US legal. His cars are drivers.

Originally Posted by atr911
What a wonton waste of money. 90% of those cars aren't worthy of sitting in a warehouse and are daily drivers for hollywood types.

As for the american stuff, again, the same applies. A car collection is only worth something if the vehicle is rare or has a special story. Otherwise it's kinda like a coin collection of all the cars over the years. I'm even going to argue that the Porsches don't deserve to be there (the 959 and the slant nose being the exceptions).

I think I prefer to refer to this guy as a car 'Hoarder' rather than a 'Collector'. Sell 80% of those to somebody who will drive them and save a ton of warehouse space.

On a side note, how the heck do you make sure the oil gets changed on those cars regularly enough??
Just because a car isn't worth 1 Million or more doesn't mean they are worthless. While some are a depreciating asset, others are not. Additionally, he has the opportunity to use them; and no money is lost unless you sell it at a loss. Hoarder? Some cars rotate in and out of the collection. Just because they sit that way in the video doesn't mean they are permanently sitting that way. The cars are all in good working order, and are driven to local car shows.

New cars generally aren't appreciating assets, however, they are fantastic to drive; and he loves to.
Originally Posted by petee_c
........... I'm not sure if it's a good use of his money either. Too many cars to drive, and there can't be that much pleasure from looking at them in a warehouse. I would wonder if he's thought about openning up a public display of them.... pay someone to run it, hire someone to clean and dust them etc etc.

I can't imagine that many of those cars has any personal memories associated with them.

It is an impressive display of wealth. Congrats.

(as an aside, I guess he didn't read the thread here on flat spots on tires, or storing cars for extended periods of time with the doors closed etc.)
Note my previous comment.

Originally Posted by michel944
Holly crap !!! Someone who says 80% of these cars are not collectibles is out of his mind or is too much into Porsches and missed out on what is going on elsewhere !!!

European side: Ferrari Enzo, F40, 288 GTO - Porsche Carrera GT, 959, Slant Nose - Bugatti Veyron. He's got a bunch of very expensive european cars that are more current (Maserati, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston-Martin, Rolls-Royce) thus not collector cars yet. For those time will tell.

But on the American car side, WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's not talk about the bunch of current Mustang and Corvette hotrods....Let's talk about all the 50's Corvettes, the 60's Corvettes, the 60' Camaro's, Chevelles, Olds Toronado, Dodge Coronet, the 70 Cuda and Challenger (do you know that a 1970 Hemi Cuda or Challenger can bring half a million or more ? And then the 50's and 60's Corvettes bring between $80k and $200k, have you seen how many he's got ?)

I say this guy is unsanely whealthy !!!
Some of those muscle cars are extremely valuable; others are in great condition that are great to drive. Some of those 50's 'vettes are worth even more than that
Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

And who exactly are you?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
nthimage
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pickering993
And who exactly are you?
A friend of the owner.