Notices

Premium Membership

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Membership

Can someone tell me what advantage it give to pay the premium membership?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

you mean membership. afaik there is no premium membership just member or user. allows you to access member only areas such as for sale and off topic. also allows you to post for sale or wanted. also supports the site which you may like. also lets you add signature to your posts. there may be other perks as well.
also doesn't make you look like a cheapass...membership is pretty cheap anyways.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Retrofishy
Advanced

HEY! Who are you calling cheapass??
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually - being a non-member makes you look like a "user". : )

I'm sure it's just a legacy term from the coders of the message board application - but I think it's so fitting to brand those who don't pay for the awesome value of Rennlist to be branded as "users".

NO indictment of any one user of course - just sayin'.

RK
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
vipola
Racer

I personaly think that if you want to support a forum, you add way more value by beeing active and by posting DIY and answering question then by paying a 17$ fee just to make peoples think you are involved into it...

There is a few sponsor on the top of this forum, I don't think they NEED my 17$ to keep this forum alive, but the day I'll receive a message saying they can't afford the hosting bill and they NEED donation I will donate with pleasure.

If it dosn't give anything else than the 'appearance' of involvment, I'll stay a user

Thanks =)
Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Its a completely personal choice. I contribute because I get value from the Forum and therefore like to support it in a small way, but I completely respect the decisions of others to make other choices. In a strictly functional way there is no particularly wonderful return rather than the satisfaction of supporting it, I think.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I should be paid for my contributions.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I was on Pelican years before I was on here, and get way more out of Pelican than I do rennlist. Nothing against rennlist, it just caters more towards the later cars, whereas most of the guys on Pelican wouldn't know what to do with a bottle of coolant fluid if you gave them instructions (myself included). However Pelican never setup a paid membership, nor do the vast majority of forums I've ever seen. As such, I don't see the need to contribute to it. Advertising should draw the revenue a forum needs, and traffic should be generated by the wealth of its posters' contributions, not their wallets. Welcome to capitalism.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Sputter
Pro

I'm one of cheapass's too.
I belong to renntech.org. As a paying member I get all the TSBs and part numbers I could ever need. For me, that has value and is worth paying for.

This is more like a "drop in and chat" site for me as there are much better 986 sites around.
I like the site and I get to see Omar's avatar, also it's nice to chat with folks that are local.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,170 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by vipola
I personaly think that if you want to support a forum, you add way more value by beeing active and by posting DIY and answering question then by paying a 17$ fee just to make peoples think you are involved into it...

There is a few sponsor on the top of this forum, I don't think they NEED my 17$ to keep this forum alive, but the day I'll receive a message saying they can't afford the hosting bill and they NEED donation I will donate with pleasure.

If it dosn't give anything else than the 'appearance' of involvment, I'll stay a user

Thanks =)
Sounds like a typical "cheapass" response ..... oh wait . Ronan said that already

oh come on i'm just kidding ...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah Sputter you should be showing up at a get together any time .... by my decade calender anyway ,,,
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill N
I think I should be paid for my contributions.
all 341 of them ? they must be good
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

This comes up a lot. Rennlist is essentially a user supported community. Membership gives you more storage of PMs. a gallery for your photos, the ability to buy and sell on the forums etc.

If you compare Rennlist to Pelican or 6speed, you will see that there are almost no ads here. Those of us who have been here for a long time prefer not to be bombarded with ads.

When IB purchased this site they promised not to change its nature and character. Hence few ads and support by Members.

I think it is safe to say that most people who are Members paid because they got value out of the site, usually saving a lot more than Membership cost.

Best,
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Pelican and Rennlist both have one banner ad on each page, but the one on rennlist is almost twice the size and IMO more intrusive.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
all 341 of them ? they must be good
You don't think I'd post the good stuff for free, do you?

Quick Reply: Premium Membership