996 Cab for QUICK sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks everyone!
Gotta say, it's the "support" I got here that kept me moving forward even when there was some doubt

FFaust...you have the perfect set-up now...coupe and droptop and although +- $ 21,000.00 is not an insignficant sum, it is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things for a guy who can afford a new 911 - and it's a Porsche cab for goodness sake that you love, know the history and hey...the top goes down! If you need the dough really bad one day, you can always bail on it quick. Until then, GIC's are paying 1/2 of 1% now....a blast in a 911 with the top down is priceless. I bought my cab with PDK and a ladies day gift certificate at the track so its "our" car. I hope your bride enjoys drving the cab but none the less...sounds like you got a hell of a partner there - mine...well her patience is running thin with the GT3 purchase last week...so somebody please buy my 95 C2!!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the car
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

@ Overdraft: Just to be clear, the 996 is gone. Yeah, $23, 4, 5, isn't that extreme but I just couldn't pull it off AND get in to the 997. So I will miss it but can't do anything about it. I'm thinking that, maybe in a few years, I could get a slightly older Boxster as a cab for wifey and I. Oh, and where can I see some pics of this GT3 you speak of
Hey, I looked at the "For Sale" thread but didn't see it, where can I find out about your 993? Price, pics, mileage, etc.

@ atr911: Sorry dude, the seats are a keeper, definitely a box I would have checked. I'll trade you the wheels though... from you avatar, I can tell that you're not using them much
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 997 is gorgeous. I love speed yellow. Congratulations.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Absolutely beautiful. And I love the colour. Everything I didn't like about the 996, they fixed with the 997. When prices drop to where 996 prices are now, we'll have one in the stable, for sure.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Absolutely beautiful. And I love the colour. Everything I didn't like about the 996, they fixed with the 997. When prices drop to where 996 prices are now, we'll have one in the stable, for sure.
I hope for my sake, that never happens. If you look at the market values of 911s over the years there are a few red headed step children that bottom out very low and some that remain very high.

I suspect that the value of the 997 cars will depend greatly on the value of the next generation vehicles but that because of the poor reputation of the 996s the 997 will remain reasonable valuable through the years.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Values of the 997 series will follow the same depreciation curve as all modern Porsches; supply and demand at play...lots of 966/997 built and with the economic world crisis, lots of people unloading non-essential toys at fire sale prices. Look at luxury homes in Florida; some are 70% their highs. All All p-cars (except for very rare/desirable models) fall to eventually find a bottom and then slowly begin to appreciate. That 996 Cab is a bargain and if the car is maintained it will start to inch up in value.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Disagree to a certain extent. The used 997 market is fairly strong at the moment because many people are hanging onto these cars instead of trading up to the latest version due to the economy.

Look at the 964 or mid 70s 911. Neither maintained their value much because they're both book ended by far better designed cars. The 996 sits between the 993 (a classic for life) and the 997 (a 'fixed' version of the 996). Add to that the RMS issues with the earlier cars and the relatively low power output compared to weight gain and to most the 997 will be the ideal choice of the generation. I'm not suggesting a rock bottom price for 996 cars but I expect to see them bottom out somewhere near $18-22K even for nicer examples. 997 will probably not see much lower than $25-30k for a well equipped S model.

Either way, poor financial investments. Good thing the entertainment investment is worth each and every penny! :P
Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
@ Overdraft: Just to be clear, the 996 is gone. Yeah, $23, 4, 5, isn't that extreme but I just couldn't pull it off AND get in to the 997. So I will miss it but can't do anything about it. I'm thinking that, maybe in a few years, I could get a slightly older Boxster as a cab for wifey and I. Oh, and where can I see some pics of this GT3 you speak of
Hey, I looked at the "For Sale" thread but didn't see it, where can I find out about your 993? Price, pics, mileage, etc.

@ atr911: Sorry dude, the seats are a keeper, definitely a box I would have checked. I'll trade you the wheels though... from you avatar, I can tell that you're not using them much
Ffaust - sorry didn't pick up on the fact you sold your cab - I hope that makes the ownership experieince on the new 997 that much better...it is a beautiful car. This is my 1995 993 on the block BEFORE the OEM 1b kit professionally painted and installed on it (Guards Red) and the 17" wheels painted black leaving the outer rim silver - all by the body shop for Porsche of Chatenooga. Porsche of Chatanooga just installed H & R springs , alligned it correctly & tint last month and new OEM shocks last year. The owner of 14 1/2 years is an engineer (now 68 years old) with TN light and Power and painstakingly maintained her for its 127,000 miles - and was a heck of good guy to boot. I have enjoyed many conversations with him on it to get its history. I have a file of receipts and documentation 3/4 of an inch thick and photocopy of the original window sticker. He (the PO) kept the originals in his file as a keepsake. It was a stock straight up 911 Guard's Red on Black and bought the car as a DE project for me in December. So...... I had it lowered, windows tinted then Aero 1 b (with brake light) including rockers installed and wheels painted. About to start moving it North here and considering selling it here before transporting it.

The interior looks like it was barely sat in. The paint finish as described by the service manager looks like the car is 3 or 4 years old and defies logic to anyone who has seen it at the dealer. It is tight tight tight. I will post snap of the "After picture" but if you go to the For Sale thread on the US thread you will see a picture of a TechArt kit modelled after the OEM one that is being installed on mine on a felloe PCA members in Canada. It will come out of the body shop Monday or Tuesday and I will post a snap of it then. This car is perfect for someone who wants to get an rock solid car, with all history, that looks like very few out there, with all OEM mods - for a reasonable cost. I will have $ 28,000 USin the car and hoping to get an addition $ 1,000.00US + transport and duties for my efforts. I just blew my brains out on the GT3 but please PM me if you know anyone who would give this car the love and care of owership it has had - and continues to deserve.

The attached snaps are my car in January - again - BEFORE the kit went on...

I will post GT3 snaps when I get some good ones....car is in VA.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
Disagree to a certain extent. The used 997 market is fairly strong at the moment because many people are hanging onto these cars instead of trading up to the latest version due to the economy.

Look at the 964 or mid 70s 911. Neither maintained their value much because they're both book ended by far better designed cars. The 996 sits between the 993 (a classic for life) and the 997 (a 'fixed' version of the 996). Add to that the RMS issues with the earlier cars and the relatively low power output compared to weight gain and to most the 997 will be the ideal choice of the generation. I'm not suggesting a rock bottom price for 996 cars but I expect to see them bottom out somewhere near $18-22K even for nicer examples. 997 will probably not see much lower than $25-30k for a well equipped S model.

Either way, poor financial investments. Good thing the entertainment investment is worth each and every penny! :P
If you compare apples to apples (996 Carrera vs 997 Carrera) and not apples to oranges (996 Carrera vs 997 Carrera S), the 997 model is actually heavier and slower than the 996 it replaced and has essentially the same engine with an extra 5hp. Back in 2006, both the 996 and 997 forums were filled with posts about leaking RMS'. It wasn't until 2007, that the RMS seal version stopped being an issue, so 3 model years of the 997 would have potentially been affected with the same nuisance leak. The reason you hardly see it mentioned anymore, is that the seal in it's last iteration has done the job on both the 996 and 997. Mine was replace under warranty 45,000kms ago and has been bone dry ever since.
Of course a "well-equipped" 997 S will not hit the same rock bottom price as a base 996 or 997...actually it will probably bottom out slightly lower or in the same range as the 996 C4S (which was loaded with no charge std equipment like the TT from the get go).
As far as the 964 is concerned if you look at present values you'll note that they are going up. It's no longer viewed as the ugly sibling in the 911 family and is becoming more and more desirable.
On the other hand, the run of the mill entry-level 993 Carrera is seeing some significant price softening from the over inflated speculative pricing of a couple of years ago.
But I do agree that cars are rarely good financial investments...so we need to drive them as much as we can!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pongobaz
If you compare apples to apples (996 Carrera vs 997 Carrera) and not apples to oranges (996 Carrera vs 997 Carrera S), the 997 model is actually heavier and slower than the 996 it replaced and has essentially the same engine with an extra 5hp. Back in 2006, both the 996 and 997 forums were filled with posts about leaking RMS'. It wasn't until 2007, that the RMS seal version stopped being an issue, so 3 model years of the 997 would have potentially been affected with the same nuisance leak. The reason you hardly see it mentioned anymore, is that the seal in it's last iteration has done the job on both the 996 and 997. Mine was replace under warranty 45,000kms ago and has been bone dry ever since.
Of course a "well-equipped" 997 S will not hit the same rock bottom price as a base 996 or 997...actually it will probably bottom out slightly lower or in the same range as the 996 C4S (which was loaded with no charge std equipment like the TT from the get go).
As far as the 964 is concerned if you look at present values you'll note that they are going up. It's no longer viewed as the ugly sibling in the 911 family and is becoming more and more desirable.
On the other hand, the run of the mill entry-level 993 Carrera is seeing some significant price softening from the over inflated speculative pricing of a couple of years ago.
But I do agree that cars are rarely good financial investments...so we need to drive them as much as we can!
You sir, are wrong.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

You sir, are wrong.
well, I guess only time will tell who's right and who's wrong.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm with Phil on this one. While I couldn't find production numbers in a quick google search, I suspect 997 is close to or more than 996 #s, so I suspect their values will sink more or less as much. I do agree with the notion that, over time, the 996 will join the ranks of the mid-years and 964s, but those cars, if certain issues are addressed, are perfectly good 911s.

Keep in mind that, up until just a few years ago, 2.4L longhoods like mine were considered crappy old 911s. Something happened (very fortunately less than a year after I bought mine) that suddenly turned them into classics and their value went through the roof. Even after they came back down to earth a bit with the recession, my car is worth more than twice what I paid for it in 2004. I could see the same happening to the 964. But not to the 996 - as Phil said, it's simple supply and demand. They made so many of them that there are tons available. Same with the 997.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 393 Posts

997s do also have RMS issues as well as late 996s , this is not just early 996s. but it is not that expensive to relace so shouldn't be major concern. 997.1s are going in the 40s in the us now, so prices should continue to drop especially as they come off warranty and new models come out and leases end. these cars are for fun not investments

Quick Reply: 996 Cab for QUICK sale