Notices

All Canadian Team in 24hrs of Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrant
The cost of the car, entrance fees, fuel/tires/etc, is paid for by the team/car owner, Steve Paquette, and his wife, Leah Thomas.

The crew donate their time and misc expenses.

Our goal is to find one or more corporate sponsors to take over those team costs, while all other cash raised goes toward the Children's Hospital.

If you know of a company that might be interested, please let me know!

We're in it for the long haul, and are willing to make these initial sacrifices to prove just what it is that we're capable of, as a vastly underfunded team.

We're hoping that a major sponsor will recognize and appreciate that, and then step in as a partner and provide the financial backing required to TRULY be competitive.

This past year or 2 has been really tough for that, obviously, but we're determined to keep going.
Jeff, thanks for your openess! Is the Rolex 24 Hour Race the only race that the team enters or are there others?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 24hr is the main focus, for sure.

Being based out of Vancouver, BC, and being volunteers, it's logistically impossible for us to make all the races. Never mind the financial aspect of it.

That being said, we do try and target a few other closer races throughout the year, like Miller or something in California, where it's not a 4-day tow just to get there.

We're not sure what we're doing this year at this point, but we're always looking to go racing.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I really don't know... but it's a Cup Car that's been modified to Grand Am spec. (I think that's about $80k worth of pieces parts added to a standard Cup).
GrandAm cars are Cup S variants of the basic Cup, with lotsa extra downforce parts, engine and gearbox mods. They either come from the factory as such, or are modified by teams from the base Cup.

The RSR is a completely different car.

GA cars can compete in ALMS though. GT Challenge class allows that this year. Against Speed World Challenge Cups and new 2010 Cups. Some sort of equivalency through restrictor and/or ballast.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

The 24hr is the main focus, for sure.

Being based out of Vancouver, BC, and being volunteers, it's logistically impossible for us to make all the races. Never mind the financial aspect of it.

That being said, we do try and target a few other closer races throughout the year, like Miller or something in California, where it's not a 4-day tow just to get there.

We're not sure what we're doing this year at this point, but we're always looking to go racing.
Congrats on a great effort Jeff. Next year, I hope to add to the Canadian presence there!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
Congrats on a great effort Jeff. Next year, I hope to add to the Canadian presence there!
Hey David, are you paying for a ride or fielding your own team?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fryd
Awesome! Will hopefully see you there.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Hey David, are you paying for a ride or fielding your own team?
We'll see!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 AM
michel944
Pro

Sorry, a little late to the party but I watched the race and you did a heck of a job under the circumstances !!! Well done to your team Jeff. Being an ex. Formula Ford racer who did it without sponsors I can appreciate the work, believe me....

Quick Reply: All Canadian Team in 24hrs of Daytona