Notices

Qc vs Ont speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Qc vs Ont speed limits

Travelling south on hwy 101 through Quebec the other day, speed limit is 90 kph. Cross over into Ontario on the same road, same conditions, etc. posted speed limit immediately drops to 80 kph. What gives?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Taxes are higher in Ontario. As hard as it is to believe that Quebec is not the worst managed province in the country, Ontario is indeed worse.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
Travelling south on hwy 101 through Quebec the other day, speed limit is 90 kph. Cross over into Ontario on the same road, same conditions, etc. posted speed limit immediately drops to 80 kph. What gives?
FFS.

(Fascist Fantino State)

All kidding aside. All single/double lane highways without center barrier in the province are mandated to have a maximum speed of 80Kph unless conditions such as school zones etc lower the speed limits. The single or double lanes with barriers (such as hwy 11 section before Bracebridge for example) are allowed up to 90Kph as they have 'modified' exit/entry onto the highway.

Hwy 115 was 'upgraded' a few years back from 90Kph to 100Kph in some sections because cross over bridge sections were built. Where the short on/off ramps were added the speeds drop back to 90Kph again.

'Freeways' as defined by our HTA in Ontario are allowed up to 100Kph because they have 'controlled' exit/entry ramps.

Its just the difference between Ontario's nanny state and PQ.

Alberta has speed limits on highways based upon road conditions and night time driving (100Kph) against clear weather and daylight hours, (110Kph). I think this makes far more sense as does their lack of PST. (Thats another matter!)
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I was in Texas last year where they have sensible 80mph limits on lightly travelled highways.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 272 Likes on 182 Posts

Sqeaky wheel gets the grease guys....e-mail your MPP and get all your buddies to do the same.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Yeah, right. When was the last time a speed limit got INCREASED in Ontario? Ever? Certainly not that I've heard of.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

The only examples I can think of are the 115 and hwy 11 but that was AFTER highway upgrades - not just because.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Alberta with the 110 limit and legal radar detectors makes highway travel awesome, trust me. Of course, there are very few corners on the highways here, so I guess a higher limit is safer?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
FFS.

All kidding aside. All single/double lane highways without center barrier in the province are mandated to have a maximum speed of 80Kph unless conditions such as school zones etc lower the speed limits. The single or double lanes with barriers (such as hwy 11 section before Bracebridge for example) are allowed up to 90Kph as they have 'modified' exit/entry onto the highway.
FWIW, Huron County Roads are 90kph, no barrier.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by chrenan
Alberta with the 110 limit and legal radar detectors makes highway travel awesome, trust me. Of course, there are very few corners on the highways here, so I guess a higher limit is safer?
Yeah, no turns except a few miles near Banff!! LOL Can I trade you the 401 instead? And Fantino?

You guys are so lucky!

I always remember driving a POS rental car from the Calagry airport to Banff, over to Lake Louise and then up the Icefield Parkway and over to Marmot wishing I was driving something better!

How are the Mounties and P car owners getting along?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by petee_c

Really? Interesting. But it's county roads right? I wonder if there is a difference in the Act and how it applies to the local county level? I'll check with a friend in MTO to see how that works.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by petee_c
Yep. We've got a cottage on Lake Huron, near Grand Bend. I drive up there all the time. Hwy 81 (runs between 402 and Lake Huron, near the Pinery Provincial Park) is a 90 km/h highway. 2 lanes (one in each direction), undivided, unpaved shoulder. There's a short-cut we take off 81 that's about 5km, straight, no crossroads at all, all the farm houses set way back (so it's easy to see kids/pets), also easy to spot cops (never seen a single one) and you can just fly through there. I've seen faster speeds on that road than at Mosport. That's where I learned just how powerful 996TT brakes are.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

Travelling south on hwy 101 through Quebec the other day, speed limit is 90 kph. Cross over into Ontario on the same road, same conditions, etc. posted speed limit immediately drops to 80 kph. What gives? ..and there was an OPP hiding behind the sign
..finished the story for ya
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Kevin Weidlich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
This is why I sometimes take the 4hr drive for an oil change in Calgary! The scenery isn't bad either. I have never driven in Ontario myself but is sounds like it is the same as BC. However, The BC popo might be a little more generous ( I got busted outside of Golden and let's just say he lowered it to excessive speed!!). In city limits i can understand but on larger freeways and on our national highway, 90 is a joke. In the summer on the BC trans canada highway they are everywhere and have their radar set to 90 if you go 93-95 pull them over. I am not saying we have to drive 150 but at least 100 or 110. it is very rare to see a 100 or 110 speed sign in BC. As soon as you leave Alberta and enter BC be careful. On this last trip and most trips, no cops from Calgary to the BC limits but from Golden to Vernon (approx. 3.5 hrs) I saw 4 different cruisers. I could go on but i think most would agree that with modern cars the 90 speed limit is a little archaic.
Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Careful driving in QC though... those french cops love nailing ontario plates. On the plus side, if you want to really air out your P-car the hwy toward montreal is brightly lit, straight as an arrow 3-4 lanes wide, concrete barriers with no place for popo to hide, and EMPTY at midnight!

Alberta is looking better and better everyday... and not just from a driving point of view!

Quick Reply: Qc vs Ont speed limits