Notices

Drunk driving vs Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i think us Canadian Rennlist Members should Run for the Parliment... Or take it by Force
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NITEALB
smoke a joint!
for medicinal purposes only, right ?!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

At 50 over, the speed differential is not 50 but more like 30. No one drives the speed limit on the 400 series, the fast lane is usually 125-130km/h.

But this is a tought one. If you have two beers at lunch, you probalby won't do 50 over anyways. So I guess in that perspective, you have less of a chance of getting into an accident. Maybe that's her point of view. Now if you are going 50 over, for longenough time, in traffic, some morron will, sooner or later, do something to the faster driver to cause an accident.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
i think us Canadian Rennlist Members should Run for the Parliment... Or take it by Force
Hmmmm, who do we know that has a big connection in the Government...let me think here...

As per my experience and talks with local law enforcement (Dealership gave all Police discount, but still got tickets!), friends etc more people kill others or themselves under the influence and usually get off quite easily. Especially in Caledon where there is quite a lot of drunk driving it seems.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Bottom line....drive responsibly with moderation on consumption and speed.
I first read that as " consumption and weed.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the problem lies within our drivers education and licensing system here. I don't think I'm exagerating when I say that anybody can get their drivers license. There are far too many people on the road who simply shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Not to make this into a huge rant, but consider the fact that with a G1 license, you are not allowed on a 400 series highway. Pass your G2 test (which doesn't involve any highways) and suddenly you are allowed to drive on the highway, without ever proving that you are cabable of it! This is just one example of how ridiculously illogical our licensing system is. I won't go on, but I think you all know what I mean and can think of many similar examples.

Back to my point, everyday to and from work I see people coming close to causing accidents because they aren't paying attention, aren't using their mirrors/checks, can't properly judge distances or simply do not have control of their vehicle. The worst is merging and lane changing, the majority of drivers simply do not know how to merge, and as a result either cut other people off, crash, or hold up traffic. These people should not be allowed on the road.

So, bringing this around to deal with the threads' topic, it isn't fast driving that is dangerous it's bad drivers that are dangerous... whether they're going 50 or 150. In my opinion, it all goes back to our pathetic excuse for a licensing system and they way that new drivers are educated.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

agreed, the number of **** poor drivers i've seen in ontario (doesn't include track days!) is astonishing. give them a couple of drinks, surely that makes them worse.

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
I think the problem lies within our drivers education and licensing system here. I don't think I'm exagerating when I say that anybody can get their drivers license. There are far too many people on the road who simply shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Not to make this into a huge rant, but consider the fact that with a G1 license, you are not allowed on a 400 series highway. Pass your G2 test (which doesn't involve any highways) and suddenly you are allowed to drive on the highway, without ever proving that you are cabable of it! This is just one example of how ridiculously illogical our licensing system is. I won't go on, but I think you all know what I mean and can think of many similar examples.

Back to my point, everyday to and from work I see people coming close to causing accidents because they aren't paying attention, aren't using their mirrors/checks, can't properly judge distances or simply do not have control of their vehicle. The worst is merging and lane changing, the majority of drivers simply do not know how to merge, and as a result either cut other people off, crash, or hold up traffic. These people should not be allowed on the road.

So, bringing this around to deal with the threads' topic, it isn't fast driving that is dangerous it's bad drivers that are dangerous... whether they're going 50 or 150. In my opinion, it all goes back to our pathetic excuse for a licensing system and they way that new drivers are educated.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Webtool1
Track Day

My problem and addiction is that "sport" button.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Silver C
Advanced

Default Its the Stats that do it

Been a while.....

The global Road Safety benchmark is deaths and statistically accidents at speed are more likely to end in death than drunks failing to see the parked car in the city. Govt aren't interested in road safety,period they just want to stay ahead of the country behind us (the US) in terms of deaths per 10k population. Now mix alcohol and speed thats the real killer - literally.

The guy walking in front with the flag is coming back. Google Vision Zero to see where we are going.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by Zookie
speaking of lightweight, anyone seen these? http://www.worldcarfans.com/10911232...tarter-battery
That is slick. Very cool technology.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Shemmer
Are you ever going to show up to a meet I'm tired of bringing your DVD.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Shemmer
But is it more expensive than it's weight in gold?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

I don't care what anyone says but any amount of alcohol impairs your ability to drive...
So does driving when tired.

Maybe we should scrap the gun registry. After all, more people are killed due to alcohol than guns.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

The number of **** poor drivers I've seen in Ontario is astonishing.
Not just Ontario...try this continent. But what do you expect when DLs are handed out as if they came out of a box of Cracker Jacks?

But it is in the interest of the economy that everyone have a drivers licence since so many jobs are tied to it. Its like pass marks at school...they vary depending on...
Old 11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you drink and drive you get too comfortable driving that you think you are either A) Invincible, will never get caught B) Begin to believe you comfort factor is directly related to your artificial belief at that moment that you are the best driver on the road. C) Combing A/B you realize you can go a bit faster.

Yes when I have a 1 beer and drive an hour i'm more comfortable driving 150+ kph than I did when I drive sobar. It's just because your edge is off .. the same as driving at night even when sobar I tend to drive faster because I can't see 400 feet in front me. You lose a sense, the other senses might become better (maybe)

Quick Reply: Drunk driving vs Speeding