Notices

Canadian Suspension - Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM
arjag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Canadian Suspension - Question

Hey guys, just gotta say how much I love this site and appreciate all of the feedback. It is invaluable for a new owner like me.

I have a question about our Canadian cars. Are they considered non-US/RoW cars? I have been following the 993 thread about spring and shock set up and if our cars already have the M033 springs and Monroe shocks from the factory then we should also have a lower ride height than the US cars. Is this correct?

If (as usual) we are lumped in with the US then I am assuming that my present setup (green shocks) are the original Monroe shocks. Probably true with only 75K km on the car. If they are original then it should be getting time to replace them. According to the 993 thread then I should consider the M033/Bilstein HD setup if I don't already have the M033 springs. I don't track the car but I want a good setup for street. I have 18 inch turbo twist wheels on the car.

And then there is this talk of corner balancing??? Is that a variation on an alignment and can it be done at any alignment shop?

Sorry for all of the questions but I really feel like a newbie - my British cars are so simple.

Thanks in advance

Alex
1998 C2S
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, our cars are not RoW, but US cars (SUV ride height, unless the previous owner has lowered it to RoW height). Even if you car is equiped with the optional M030 (sport) or M033 (comfort) suspension, it is still US height.
Your green shocks are the original shocks most likely.
I would probably not recommend the M033, unless you like driving a Buick.
But I would safely recommend the Bilstein PSS10 suspension. The kit comes with shocks and springs. The ride can be lowered to Euro height (or even lower if you want) while the adjustable shocks (10 different settings) will allow you to tune the comfort (or sportiness) to your liking. In any case, the ride will never be harsh, even on 18" wheels. No need to upgrade the sway bars in your car because you already have the beefed-up 993 Turbo sway bars on your C2S.
As far as corner balance is concerned, it's mostly a track thing, not worth it if you drive your car on streets only.

Quick Reply: Canadian Suspension - Question