Notices

Import To Do List...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts
Default Import To Do List...

My car was picked up in Ohio on Saturday, so I expect a call tomorrow or Wednesday saying they are bringing it over! This is the first time I've brought a "newer" car into Canada and I would appreciate any help on items that I have missed. So far the plan is: go register the car, pay taxes and get a trip permit, drive to Autowerks for oil, filters, brake flush, DRLs, safety and smog check, take to Canadian tire for child seat anchor and RIV check, email RIV paperwork and Recall clearance letter to RIV (I already have the clearance letter), back to MOT for plate and fit registration. Anything missing?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I assume you have sent the title to US customs 3 business ahead of crossing teh border (confirm receipt)?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I seem to recal that getting a trip permit in Ontario is tricky. Don't quote me but I believe that you have to get it within 10 days of title to car changing. That's why it's usually a good idea to get one from the state where the car was resident at the time of transfer. The one I got from New Jersey was good for 30 days which allowed me to do all the stuff you mention.

Your transport company should give you the RIV Form 1. You can't get Form 2 untill you get Form 1 and provide RIV with the recall letter. Form 2 is sent to you from RIV. This can take up to 10 days. Cdn Tire has to have Form 2 in order to do its check.

I don't believe that you can register the car without the RIV completed for which you need the CDN Tire check. Most of your steps are correct but the order is a little off.

I'll be interested to know if I'm off base on the trip permit but that is my recollection.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
JasonKM
Racer

MTO was brutal about issuing a trip permit for me. They insisted on the original purchase agreement and would not accept a fax, even directly from the dealer. One MTO office also insisted I have the Form 1 complete, which I asked I was suppose to get the car to the border and then they expected me to leave at the border to go an get a trip permit. I simply used the plates from my old car and drove carefully!

My car was purchased in MA was does not have trip permits
Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Trip permit is easy, just bring import forms and bill of sale to license office.
you may want to call Riv after a week to get them to fax form 2 to you otherwise you may be waiting a long time.
oh and don't forget the first thing to do is take some pics and post here...better yet video the unloading off the truck. enjoy!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM
JasonKM
Racer

sorry I was referring to trip permit to drive it home. Once it's landed here it fairly easy. I would still try and get a trip permit from the state where you're buying the car as these are good for 30 days.

When I imported my car I paid the RIV fee online, faxed my Form 1 and recall clearance by noon and received Form 2 by 3pm the same day. I had the safety and emissions done the next day and plated a few hours later!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! Pics to follow........
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Texas temp tag the dealer put on was only $5 and good for 60 days.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you needed to send the Clearance letter and your Form 1 to RIV in order to receive Form 2 (which you will need for the inspection).

I did this last week when I imported a 996 to BC. BTW, the Blaine crossing (in Washington State) has the RIV office on the Canadian side, so when I was done with the Canadian customs, I walked into the RIV office and handed them my paperwork. Form 2 was emailed to me the next day (on a Saturday). I had the inspection done on Sunday and registered\insured on Sunday. Time between picking up the car and driving it around (legally) in Victoria was 48 hours!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

any idea how to get the clearance letter as i hear porsche canada will not issue them anymore unless you go to one of their dealers and pay something like 1200----any way around this as i dont have warranty coevrage and buying the car privately from the us
Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

get it from a US dealer.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

PM me and I'll give you a contact....
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
firesm
Pro

Ah - I wish I had been on this forum back in august when I imported my car...would've saved myself a lot of money and frustration!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as you have your Form 1 go online with the RIV and make your payment. You will shortly thereafter (took a few hours in my case) be able to download the Form 2 from their website, and you can then go to CDN tire for the inspection as soon as your mods are done.

Best thing to do is get a temp permit in the state that you bought the car in, if its too late for that try and borrow a dealer plate so you can drive it to the shop and CDN tire etc. without attracting any problems from the local constabulary.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

zedder,

In my experience from June 2009, tHe MTO trip permit is pretty hard to get for a US car. They won't issue one if the Bill of Sale is more than 10 days old.

Best bet would be to have the seller u issue u a new BOS with a new date....

alternatively, take your chances and drive with plates from another vehicle..... search online for images of temp plates from the state u bought it from and get some ideas on what they look like....

it took me about 14 days to get my Ont plates, I had to wait for new tires before I could get a safety..... seemed like an eternity. I just kept a copy of the Bill of Sale, RIV stuff, insurance with me in the car.... I passed about 6-10 cars during that 2 weeks, and never got stopped.

Good Luck,
Peter

Quick Reply: Import To Do List...