FS cheap VW Jetta 1.8T GLS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts
Default FS cheap VW Jetta 1.8T GLS

I’ve got my neighbor’s ’01 Jetta 1.8T GLS for sale. He wanted to buy a newer car so when the shifter linkage bent and then eventually broke, he decided not to fix it and asked me if I wanted to buy and fix it. The problem was much less than first thought, first (before the linkage broke) I thought the transmission was gone but it turned out it was only the shifter cable for the for & aft that bent. On the way to my father’s machine shop it broke. I was in 3rd gear, entering the highway so driving to the shop was not a problem.

Last week I replaced the cables and shifter box with a good used one and now it’s as good as it was before. I think what caused the cable to bend was an aftermarket floor mat that he just got and on top of it, at it’s last cleaning, the passenger side ended up under the driver side pedals. After some settling, this didn’t let the clutch to go all the way down and when he pulled on the shifter (to get out of 5th) he bent the cable. VW have a rather unique shifter cables, they are semi flexible. The more resemble a flexible rod than a spun steel cable.

He had the car for 6 years and commuting all over Ontario with it. It’s well maintained and it doesn’t show it’s age. Here’s the link to the Kijiji add: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ166691177

I'm asking $4200 with safety and e-test but I'm open to offers. If anyone is interested, or want to see hig res pics, feel free to PM me.
Attached Images     
Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

wow.... 290K km..... cool. Looks great! Looking at the steering wheel, it looks like it might be leather interior?

I have a similiar car - 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T 5spd, with the factory 'sport' suspension and aftermarket rear sway bar. I got it chipped 3-4yrs ago by APR. good to know that some people can get it to run that long.

Mine's got 162K.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Yup it has leather and every other option available. He bought it already chipped and is actually pretty quick for a small 4 cyl. You wouldn't know it had 290K if you didn't look at the odometre. He's my neighbour and I did some basic maitnance work on it a couple years ago, but besides the susual (tires, brakes, oil & filter), this car has been extremly reailable. So is my TDI. I think the key is the long distance driving. Cars last much longer if they have a chance to properly warm up as opposed to the quick inner city drives. Highway driven cars are mostly driven in 5th gear for a good chunk of their life. This does very little wear to the mechanical components. Most of the wear and tear will be the front part of the exterrior (stone chips on the bodywork and windshield). Otherwire, mechanically they are usually much better shape than the same mileage city driven cousins.

My daily driver is a '00 TDI Jetta GLS that just turned over the 460K mark. I'm expecting to get at least 600K before doing anything to the engine. Yes it's a diesel but, besides the engine, most componenets are the same as all other Golfs/Jettas.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Marc Masterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sold

Last edited by Marc Masterson; 06-01-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: sold
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Highway driven cars are mostly driven in 5th gear for a good chunk of their life. This does very little wear to the mechanical components.
Depends, highway kms these days is almost just as bad if you're driving from Ajax to Oakville on the 401, its bumper to bumper in 1st gear for alot of the way.

I use to live in Newmarket and work downtown, and most of the way it would be stop and go. Highway mileage yes, but the equivalent of inner city driving.

Outside of the above circumstances, yes I would agree.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Thanks Marc but yesterday we decided to keep it in the family and sell my father's "well used" '92 Miata instead.

Quick Reply: FS cheap VW Jetta 1.8T GLS