Pics and Video - Rennlist Niagara Cruise Nov 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
HI
I'm a fairly new member to Renlist, and a new owner to Porsche (2003 996 tt x50--just negotiated to buy it). How do we find out about this event when it rolls around next year? My wife and I love Niagra on the lake, and would love to attend if its in the same area next year.
BTW--great photo's--great cars. Really cool to see some of the older models in such great shape. Looked like great fun.
Stay tuned to this location.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I was getting the same thing with Eshel's videos. But I found a fix. I had to downgrade my version of Quicktime to 7.6.0 or older.

It seems on both my Win 7 PC (v7.6) and on my Win XP Pro PC (v7.5.5), if I'm running the latest and greatest Quicktime version (7.6.4), his videos will only play audio.

Try downgrading your version of Quicktime.

Quicktime for Windows

Quicktime for MAC

Just make sure to uninstall the newer version first using the "Add/Remove Programs" Control Panel app in WinXP or the "Programs and Features" Control Panel app in Win7.
Thank you for this Stan hopefully it works for others in the same predicament on the Windows side. Question, why does the latest version of Quicktime work on some machines, and not others?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting the same thing with Eshel's videos. But I found a fix. I had to downgrade my version of Quicktime to 7.6.0 or older.

It seems on both my Win 7 PC (v7.6) and on my Win XP Pro PC (v7.5.5), if I'm running the latest and greatest Quicktime version (7.6.4), his videos will only play audio.

Quicktime for Windows

Quicktime for MAC

Just make sure to uninstall the newer version first using the "Add/Remove Programs" Control Panel app in WinXP or the "Programs and Features" Control Panel app in Win7.
Fabulous, worked this time, great job Esh. Mac's aren't so bad after all! LOL
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Quicktime for Windows

Quicktime for MAC

Thanks Zeeman, it works now
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboS
Thank you for this Stan hopefully it works for others in the same predicament on the Windows side. Question, why does the latest version of Quicktime work on some machines, and not others?
If I were to "guess", I'd say it's a combination of codecs and media players that are installed on the system. Plus there's always the MAC vs. PC issues too, and we would need to take into account from where the file originated and how it was created.

The latest version of Quicktime DID work on my system except for the streaming video you posted. I'd bet if I were able to download it, it would work as a non streaming file. Quicktime 7.6.4 worked fine with all M4V, MP4 and MOV files downloaded to my PC, plus the streaming video from Apple (I'm a Mac ads and the Movie trailers site).
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If I were to "guess", I'd say it's a combination of codecs and media players that are installed on the system. Plus there's always the MAC vs. PC issues too, and we would need to take into account from where the file originated and how it was created.

The latest version of Quicktime DID work on my system except for the streaming video you posted. I'd bet if I were able to download it, it would work as a non streaming file. Quicktime 7.6.4 worked fine with all M4V, MP4 and MOV files downloaded to my PC, plus the streaming video from Apple (I'm a Mac ads and the Movie trailers site).
If you are watching a Quicktime video with a quicktime player and codec, why would other media players/codecs come into play or affect the playability of those files?
Mac vs Some PC's not all had issues, if it was universal then that statement would be correct.
The file was created in iMovie, same as all the rest.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboS
If you are watching a Quicktime video with a quicktime player and codec, why would other media players/codecs come into play or affect the playability of those files?
Mac vs Some PC's not all had issues, if it was universal then that statement would be correct.
The file was created in iMovie, same as all the rest.
Most codecs are shared library files between all media players. Apple has their own propietary codecs, as do other players, ie: H.264 or Divx, but once installed on a PC, it becomes usable by all players. There may be incompatibility issues when that happens, especially cross-platform.

I'll put money that the PC's that were able to play your video had older versions. Not everyone upgrades to the latest versions. And in fact, most don't unless they are told to do so. If someone has a version of Quicktime older than 7.2, a message pops up on your video that says you will need v7.2 or better to play it. If you got that message and upgraded to 7.6.4 and the video still didn't work, what conclusion would you draw?

When you create a video, you specify how you want to create it. From what audio/video codecs to use, to what sampling filters to use and other such configurable settings. What may work on your MAC, may not work on another if they are missing any such components.

Now that being said, why v7.6.4 won't work with your videos is a mystery to me. I would have thought that the newer version should have no issues with playing videos that were created with applications that preceded it.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I finally get to watch these after being away for a while with only a blackberry! It's playing fine on my box, WinXP, quicktime 7.5. Thanks Geoff and Eshel for putting them together!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
jinto
AutoX

very nice!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Nice shots!!! Well done!!!

Quick Reply: Pics and Video - Rennlist Niagara Cruise Nov 1