Notices

storing summer cars for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default storing summer cars for the winter

Just wondering how many of u store your P cars for the winter months? I'm in the process of cleaning/rearranging my garage to try to get ready for the winter months.

I'm trying to shoe-horn a Boxster, Jetta, CRV, 2-up snowmobile and snowblower in the garage for the winter. It's going to be tight.

When/How do u decide is the time to take the road insurance off?
My winter insurance rate is about $25/month, the on-the road rate is $120ish.....

I heard from another 986S owner that I should start up the vehicle every few weeks because of the layout of the flat-6 and oil drainage into the pan and away from the lifters. I'll put the battery on a tender, stabilize the gas, and may change the oil, and cover it. For my motorcycle that's in the shed, I just stabilize the gas, put/rotate the battery on a tender, cover and let it sit for the 4-5 month hibernation.

Last edited by petee_c; 10-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

All just my opinion but .......

i don't take the insurance off at all . then on nice clear decemeber days I can take it out for a run .. and taking insurance off and on gives insurance companies reason to look at your record and file. when it comes to insurance companies keep your head below the trench ...

I have an older flat six. i think your friends comments are total BS. the only oil up there is very minor and if some does leak past so what .... if you are going to start it you need to get it up to temp and drive it . if you just start it you are creating a whole pile of moisture in your exhaust manifolds, cat, muffler and pipes. even if it is stainless this now pooled water is not good.
Shut her off and leave her until you can start it and run it up to temp. How many newly started cars in winter do you see with water running out of the pipes .. think about it .. and Porsches (especially air cooled like mine ) do NOT like garage warm ups.... i am sure yours is not much diffeent..
Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 79 will be going into storage next weekend. I leave her the entire winter without going up to start it (it's almost a half hour drive to where I store it but $200 for up to seven months in a secured, heated barn is well worth it to me. Most of the oil needs to be replaced when I start up in the spring from the seals drying out, but after a bit of driving things seal up nicely again. I put stablizer in the gas, pull the battery, lay down a tarp and absorbent on the floor, then cover her. That's it.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM
petee_c
Drifting

i can resist the temptation to take it out for a spinin the winter.....

Snowmobile trails are a couple blocks from where I live, and hoping to build/maintain a backyard rink for the kids this season.....

I'll save the Porsche for warm weather fun.

P
Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

hey great .... is see a rennlist hockey game in our future
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM
petee_c
Drifting

don't get your hopes up.... starting small.... probably 20'x30' to start.... my kids are 4 and 6 at the moment.....
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

damn
.. we should send the leafs there to practice .. but your 4 and 6 year old may embarass them
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

I start mine every 5 weeks or so. let em run for 30 mins to avoid the seals drying up. also inflate tires to 50lbs and move them around a little. stabilizer in the fuel, silica gel in the interior, disconnect battery on 951 battery tender on the993 and good to go. wax before is good too. oh and I forgot...pray for spring... weather in this country sucks
Old 10-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Sputter
Pro

My take is that you change your oil so the engine doesn't sit in the dirty oil all winter. Running the car at idle for short periods during the winter defeats that purpose by adding the unburnt crap back to the oil. Idleing the car won't get it up to temps to burn off the crud.

my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Kevin Weidlich
Advanced

My car doesn't move for 6-7 months. No need to start it up. Start with an oil change before storage, add fuel stabilizer, battery tender, close heater vents and plug mufflers (pest control), raise tire pressure, and sit and stare at your car for what seems an eternity. I think that is all, hope this helps!

Cheers
Old 10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

my .02c, most of the above comments made and;

Put the car away clean but never put your car away wet - you want to make sure the brakes are dry. Take out the interior carpet and I usually take out the boot carpeting too.

Tire cradles if you've got them, you can also cover the air intake for additional rodent paranoia. I don't close the doors or hoods too tightly to protect the seals and make sure you don't leave on the e-brake - I learned that one the hard way.

And keep a picture of her in your wallet.

Bill

Quick Reply: storing summer cars for the winter