Notices

dealer prices in canada are really just crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

The fun will begin in earnest next March when our dollar will be worth $1.05 Obamapesos.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I don't understand your question.

Are you saying that someone bringing up a car from the US that they bought at a substantially lower price, should sell at what Canadian cars are selling for?

If so, sure, they can try, but I'm not the one that'll buy it. If I am going to buy a US car, I might as well just go down there to buy it and pocket the savings myself.

My logic is...if you are going to pay less for a US car and then try to sell it to me, I want most of those savings.
This still doesn't makes any sense to me. Why do you care how much the previous owner paid for a car? Isn't that irrelevant? When you are buying a car, do you ask the seller how much they paid for it?

Now, what you need to consider is that it takes time and effort to bring a car over and none of these are free. You don't feel that a car should worth what the current market value dictates? I certainly do. I can't see how cars from the US are somehow inferrior to those that are originally made to the Canadian market. After all, they are all made on the same assembly line, using the same parts and techniques. The only real difference (before federalzation) is the spec they are originally built to.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Now, what you need to consider is that it takes time and effort to bring a car over and none of these are free.
But they're not worth tens of thousands more either. Furthermore, you may make $100/hr at work...do you make that sitting in front of the TV or whatever you don't get paid to do?

Originally Posted by Imo000
You don't feel that a car should worth what the current market value dictates?
I do.

Check the list price of a base 997 on the Porsche NA site. Do you think there is a mile high wall keeping us out of the US. Why is it that Canadian business thinks a border makes a difference? Its the same market simply because I have access to it and very easily.

I just bought a can of 3M Super Trim Adhesive for US$19.79 at Advance Auto Parts. The same can is $30 up here. Gosh, I didn't know the exchange rate was 50%.

I don't bother asking why (I know it is greed) anymore. I just shop stateside and give Canadian business my middle finger!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Code:
Now, what you need to consider is that it takes time and effort to bring a car over and none of these are free
This is hard to put a value on. It depends on what price range your looking at. If you looking for a clean low mile car, I hate to say your paying top dollar, even in the U.S. and looking and looking. Not because there are'nt alot of cars available, but from what I have seen, some americans are kind of hard on their cars. If your looking for the cleanest stuff, Check these guy's out.

http://sloancars.com/new-arrivals/
http://www.rpmsportscars.com/
http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/vas...inventory.aspx

You could probably say "well I can get something cheaper from a private party".
That might be true, but the time and effort it might take to weed out the B.S.
might be frustrating. What I would like to see from Canadian dealers is more of an effort to deal at reasonable levels considering the U.S. market priceing.
Beause a car is local, that is worth a small premium, to me. I don't have the time to search for cheap clean cars in the U.S.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I just shop stateside...IXLR8
Hey Alex, I was reading your post and thought: this sounds like a guy I know on the BMW MOA Forum!

Anyway, welcome to Rennlist, and hope you're mending nicely.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transport cda

im always lurking but i thought i would give some input to this thread.
i have been looking at purchasing an american vechicle for quite some time. i would have pulled the trigger (the money is not the problem, its the time i have too take off work to travel and inspect/purchase) but thank god i didn't, i can see the USA=CDN by Xmas.
anyways, i dont know anyone who has done this business transaction. So
by reading threads on this website and other car related sites, i have educated myself and fell fairly confident with this future adventure.
anyways, i want everyone to know that i have enrolled in a vechicle importation course porvided free by transport canada. Most of you experts know about this, but for the new buyer, it may be of interest.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/events-ev...r-101-eng.html
Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by molson cdn
im always lurking but i thought i would give some input to this thread.
i have been looking at purchasing an american vechicle for quite some time. i would have pulled the trigger (the money is not the problem, its the time i have too take off work to travel and inspect/purchase) but thank god i didn't, i can see the USA=CDN by Xmas.
You never really know how the markets will go, well at least I don't.

I bought my 2001 Box S from a dealership in Chicago near the beginning of June 2009. I bought it when the dollar was around 86-88cents. I got a pretty good deal on the exchange looking at the currency market for the 6 months .

In hindsight, from my standpoint, it 's a lot better deal now. U would probably save 8-10% off what I paid for mine....

I would disagree and say that money's the problem.... you're obviously wanting to save money by shopping in the states, there really is no other reason to (shop in the states). It's not hard, just not (as) convenient. If u don't have time, then buy 'local' and pay the premium. The 2ndary reason is that there is more choice in the states, but any used car dealer can "go" to auctions (although I would assume most are online )and find one to your specs. Again, it comes at a premium.

My car purchase only cost me 1 day off work. I took a Friday off and flew down with my wife to Chicago early in the morning and drove back Friday afternoon and Sat. Morning. I got an independent shop to look over the car for me before I finalized the deal.

Peter

Last edited by petee_c; 10-19-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

also there is no way to quantify Americans are harder on their cars than Canadians .. Americans would say we have a shorter summer here in Canada and therefore beat on the cars when we can ,.. and also have all those salt and corosion issues ... s o I don't think that is valid...

I agree that people buy in the US for cost savings period. lets face it Porsche doesn't want us doing it but look at how many used car lots are .. i have been to TONNES of idependants to find out they were brought up from the states by Brokers.. ask Dave ..

Xlr8 dude doesn't want someone else to make money bringing the car in and selling it to him .. he wants the savings. Although I see his point , if you want the savings... go get it .. That is free enterprise . I would not pay equal dollar for a US car either ,, but that is just me .. i would only pay less, but not the same as US car costs so somewhere in the middle...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
arenared911cab
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We essentially have an open border (at a cost of course Riv, Duty, GST and in my case pst) It is very simple process, even with the delivery fee to the border I still saved thousands for my 993. Plus you get the pick of the litter, mileage, color, mods etc because you have so much choice, both private and dealer. I've bought two from the US now and its really effortless. ( i lucked out with the 993 and bought it at 1.04 cdn/us and paid the fees base on 1.10 cdn/us) Plus all of my parts come from the states also, much cheaper. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

RIV is administered by a third-party organization (not the gov't) which collects revenue and earns profit for each car that is imported into Canada. As a result, I wouldnt expect the folks at "RIV" to give someone a hassle if their recall letter originated from a U.S. Porsche dealer, although they do keep an eye out for outright forgeries.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I guarantee they won't have a problem with a recall letter from a US dealership, at least they didn't in 2006 when I brought in the boxster with exactly that.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Ice: if you wanted a car and liked it why would you not pay the same for a US car or Cdn if it is already imported? both from the same factory. does this apply if say you were looking for a an older pcar as well? I would think that if it is the car and condition that you want you should pay the same for Cdn or US car.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Webtool1
Track Day

I picked up a PCO 996ttS in Dallas, flew in/out same day, had it trucked up enclosed by Mackie, dropped on my driveway here.
The Dallas dealer put DRL's on, gave me a crappy little recall note. Then just a safety cert. & emmission cert. here from The Tire and you're good to go. RIV is right on West Mall, they couldn't be more helpful. Its a cakewalk.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
larman2001
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Christien
Why does the car have to go back? So long as you can get a recall clearance letter (there ARE other ways than paying DFC/Pfaff) and do any RIV required modifications, you can keep the car in Canada, whether Porsche Canada/dealerships like it or not. Tell them to kiss your ****. Start calling US dealerships, offering $100 for a recall clearance letter. It took me 2 phone calls to get one (dealership in NC where I had PPI done) and he didn't charge me. 10 minutes later it was in my fax machine, and the car passed RIV with only DRL modification ($75 at Mantis). Suck it, Pfaff.
Can they screw around with your CPO warranty if you don't do the inspection?
I bought an 09 C2S Cab this week from L.A. and will have their recall letter.
Still, PCNA says $1,200 inspection is mandatory.

My main concern is the warranty.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

What I don't get is the warranty booklet says warranty is valid in US and Canada. So can they even tag on this extra charge AFTER the fact?

Quick Reply: dealer prices in canada are really just crazy