Notices

CPO cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO cars

Anyone knows what the minimum remaining life for the brakes and tires have to be for a CPO'ed car?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should ask - just talked to someone at DFC today about same issue - 50% is the minimum apparently.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 PM
MattAu
Instructor

In that case, definitely buy CPO cars from Pfaff because I was there this afternoon and was surprised to find out that they have a minimum of 70-75%!!! Don't ask me how you can have a range for a minimum.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Here`s what the hwy traffic act says:

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 611

SAFETY INSPECTIONS

Consolidation Period: From May 1, 2009 to the e-Laws currency date.

TIRES AND WHEELS

(a) except for front tires on a vehicle in excess of 4,500 kilograms gross vehicle weight rating, no tire shall be worn sufficiently,

(i) for the tread wear indicators to contact the road, or

(ii) that less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth remains,

in any two adjacent major grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire

SCHEDULE 2
INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR WHEEL BRAKE INTERNAL COMPONENTS OF COMMERCIAL VEHICLES AND MOTOR VEHICLES

(f) no bonded lining shall be thinner than 1.5 millimetres when measured at the thinnest point;

It makes very little sense why the dealer should say it needs 50%, 70% or even 75% to pass a CPO. It`s all smoke and mirrors at some level.

These are non-warranty items to begin with....... and as long as they pass Ontario Dept of Hwy safety inspection specs it should fly, otherwise it`s just another way for dealers to pass on added expense to you and profit to themselves.

For Mattau to suggest Pfaff maintains a higher standard because of what they told him, again, smoke and mirrors.... this expense just gets added to your bottom line.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:13 PM
MattAu
Instructor

I was being sarcastic. Having said that, there is a reason why CPO cars have more than just enough to pass safety. Think about it, you just drop $80,000 on a CPO car, the next think you want is to shell out another $2,500 for tires within weeks. It's much easier to convince you to pay $82,000 for a car that comes with brand new tires. At the end, you are still be paying for the tires, the sad thing is, you could have enjoyed that last 30% of thread and defer the purchase.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
the sad thing is, you could have enjoyed that last 30% of thread and defer the purchase.
That's exactly my point Matt.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i'd like to see a CPO cover tires and brakes .. even Zook couldn't pull that rabit out of the hat .. i guess the CPO you are paying for is that you are buying a Porsche certified used car .. not just a one that passes the goverments minimum expectation ...

personally I think the wear item claims are all crap anyway ...
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

what tires are $2500??????? oh maybe from the dealer. should be $1500 tops for the best tires in 19"
Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I think you're missing the point. A CPO warranty basically gives you the same coverage as the new car warranty but for only 2 additional years over whatever remains from the OE warranty. No new vehicle warranty covers consumable items like tires and brakes. To sell it as a CPO, the dealer must inspect and sometimes recondition certain wear items on it to make sure it meets the Porsche criteria for CPO. Tires must be matched approved "N" spec tires and must have sufficient tread life left; same goes for the brakes. Doesn't mean that they will put new ones on every time though; only if they are worn below a certain level.

Quick Reply: CPO cars