Notices

PSS9 or H&R coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PSS9 or H&R coilovers?

I am considering upgrading my 987 Boxster S supsension to coilovers. I do 5 to 10 track events plus 10K km's a year. Looking at the Bilstein PSS9's or the H&R Street Performance. What are the pro's/con's of each product. Which product would be best for good tack performance and a "comfortable" street ride? Would Bilstein HD shock and H&R lowering springs be a good option as well?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Hi Paul (?)... I had PSS9's on my 97 993 and liked the 9 point adjustability they had. Everyday I set them at midpoint and for autocross (all I could do without a roll bar) I'd set them full stiff. Full soft I found the car rebounded (jounced?) a little to actively to bumps for my liking.

Funny how a track session or DE sets us off down that damn slippery slope.....
Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find the PSS10's are the choice today
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the H&R springs on my 997 C4S this summer. I've only done one track day since having them on - I didn't notice that much of a difference on the track. I'm not at a level where the suspension has that big of on my track driving anyway I like the look of the H&Rs, which is the primary reason I did it, but i find the street ride too harsh. I'm going to switch to the PSS10s in the spring.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
I think you'll find the PSS10's are the choice today
X2
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p987yow
I am considering upgrading my 987 Boxster S supsension to coilovers. I do 5 to 10 track events plus 10K km's a year. Looking at the Bilstein PSS9's or the H&R Street Performance. What are the pro's/con's of each product. Which product would be best for good tack performance and a "comfortable" street ride? Would Bilstein HD shock and H&R lowering springs be a good option as well?
A coilover is only as good as the shop that has a setup for them (it becomes infinitly more important when you move on to multi-way adjustable units like Tein, JRZ, Moton, Penske, etc).

The good news is that the pss10's have a redesigned valving system (better circuits with more defined changes apparently) than the Pss9's and we have several shops in toronto that can setup the car well, and if you want to play around with the settings yourself, it's only one dial (compression/rebound adjusted together) so there's not much you can screw up.

Courtney at autowerks has a WIKID bunch of pss9 setups (i can verify this first hand, if you tell him what tracks you goto and how aggressive an alignment you want and how many street kms you do and all that, he can work wonders while keeping tire wear in check).

5-10 track events is a pretty decent amount but you do a lot of street driving. will you even bother crawling under the car to adjust the compression/rebound from street to the track? will you raise the car to clear the snow and then lower it in the summer if you drive it all year? How many sets of tires do you want to chew up?

if you're answering no to a lot of these questions, then maybe a set and forget spring/shock combo is the best bet. H&R springs and Bilstein shocks seem to work great and are what most rennlisters choose. one of the faster local track members, jumper 5486, uses the H&R lowering springs and he boogies around the track. These cars are extremely capable right out of the box.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

PSS10 = Comfort
H&R = SLAMMED!

Both are good for the track, but PSS10's are the "Latest" Design... i have PSS9's myself, i wish i would have gone with H&R coz they go wayyyy lower, and i like mine Slammed

Quick Reply: PSS9 or H&R coilovers?