Notices

Any one run Yokohama Advan A048's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any one run Yokohama Advan A048's?

I have a stock 987 Boxster S. I have been using MPSC's on a set of dedicated track rims (18" Cayman OEM) - 33 psi hot all around - switched side-to-side between events. Each set I have run, has corded on the outside - usually driver's front (lots of r-hand turns at my home track Calabogie). My last set of tires was good for 5 track days - about 8 hours of driving. I'm considering the Yokohama Advan A048 for my next set of track tires as they can be turned "inside out" on the rim. Has anyone used the A048? Have you turned the tires "inside out"? What type of life did you get? How did they compare to MPSC if you have run them?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had A048's on a twin turbo Rx-7 but do not have experience with MPSC to be able to compare for you.

If you do go the A048 route, I would urge you to check Talon Tire in Montreal. They have spectacular pricing on those, and being in Canada is an additional advantage for Canadian customers. They have online pricing.

David
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran A048s on my 964 for lapping days at Mosport and I was really impressed with them. When they are warm they are the stickiest tire I have ever had, but I did not have the chance to rotate them as I sold the car they were on before they were worn (3 track days). The only negative I can think of was that they were really quite loud for street driving, especially at highway speed, and they were awful in the wet.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being the person that bought Pickering993's 964 I can attest to the fact that they are loud on the street/highway. Haven't tracked the car yet, don't plan on it. So far the noise is the only downside I have noticed at the moment. I don't drive it in the rain so I can't comment on wet driving, but visually looking at the tread pattern suggest its not optimal for wet drives.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree - Talon has great prices on the A048's - $125 less than the MPSC's per tire.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

I have them on my 993. they are almost half price in the us. I have flipped them on the rims but that is not really necessary as they can be run backwards in the dry. I don't track them in the rain but on the road they are fine in rain. I got about 10 days out of the rears and my fronts are about half worn. I haven't used michelin sport cups and don 't want to...they give no warning before they let go, these tires (compound and tread) is very similar to r888s. If I were to order new r compounds I would either go with Nitto's (owned by toyo I think) NT01 very inexpensive or the RA1s, mainly because of price but I like the 048s and yes they are noisy (but I can't hear them over my car).
btw I don;t use the michelins but 33 sounds way too low for psi hot.

Quick Reply: Any one run Yokohama Advan A048's?