Notices

51km/h over

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly!

Clean and clear is the only way to go. If you've got one - then you have to drive like a wuss for THREE years. Who wants to do that?!?

Plus, there's some research that suggests the SAFEST speed to drive is 10% FASTER than the flow of traffic.

If that's true and the limit is 100 - but the flow is 130 - you actually want to be going 143!!!

RK
Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Now we're talking. I'm liking the new math here.
143 is now the new 100.
Civil Disobedience and proving reasonable doubt may be our only allies within this facist "free society". If only everyone could unite and take all served tickets through to court, we would see such a confounding pile up in our court system as to render it completely useless.
What about other traffic laws regarding driving below a minimum speed in the "passing lane" (for those who forgot, it is the one on the far left). Too bad these folks can't be tried convicted and executed on the roadside like the 50 and over "speed hazards".
I drove up north yesterday in the downpour, and it still awes me how people enter onto the highway, shift immediately into the safety lane (far left), cuddle their Timmys in the old crotch cup holder, play with their phones for that earth shattering conversation about the important things going on in their lives, settle in at a comfortable 80kph, and pay no attention to anything else but when they need to cut across 3 lanes to make their exit. These are the risks.
When you are travelling at faster speeds you tend to be a lot more attentive to everything around you (unfortunately speed traps even distract from your attention to the road) while coffee and texting take a back seat.
I had my moment to vent, and feel a little better, thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

.. well to some of us, the crotch cup holder is the only heat we can get ...

..note to self,,,not to be used for ice caps....
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lMAO

Originally Posted by theiceman
.. well to some of us, the crotch cup holder is the only heat we can get ...

..note to self,,,not to be used for ice caps....
Old 08-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Sputter
Pro

Default some people still flash

Two days ago I was running across the 7th between Liberty and Harmony road (closer to Harmony) when a tandem truck flashed his lights at me. Being a tad over the limit I slowed the hell down, sure enough a radar trap was few hundred yards down the road.

I owe that guy a coffee at least.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Funny story: my daughter was driving her Golf Cabriolet a bit fast last week when she saw a cop. She thought she was done, but the cop flashed her a thumbs up for having a nice ride!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Sputter
Pro

It is a sweet car.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:33 PM
akw
Racer

Wouldn't it be great if the police enforced the law equally? I love your example of the left lane.

end soap box

During my drive to Ottawa last night I passed more cars being in the right lane on cruise at 120 than I did in the left. In fact anyone who tried the left lane got held up behind similar retards to the ones you mentioned.

I never see (or hear) of anyone getting ticketed for driving in the left lane when not passing but it seems the officers are really keen to chase me down on the 401 when i'm doing the speedlimit (in the righthand lane) only to give me a ticket for having no front plate.

WTF

Originally Posted by Bahama
Now we're talking. I'm liking the new math here.
143 is now the new 100.
Civil Disobedience and proving reasonable doubt may be our only allies within this facist "free society". If only everyone could unite and take all served tickets through to court, we would see such a confounding pile up in our court system as to render it completely useless.
What about other traffic laws regarding driving below a minimum speed in the "passing lane" (for those who forgot, it is the one on the far left). Too bad these folks can't be tried convicted and executed on the roadside like the 50 and over "speed hazards".
I drove up north yesterday in the downpour, and it still awes me how people enter onto the highway, shift immediately into the safety lane (far left), cuddle their Timmys in the old crotch cup holder, play with their phones for that earth shattering conversation about the important things going on in their lives, settle in at a comfortable 80kph, and pay no attention to anything else but when they need to cut across 3 lanes to make their exit. These are the risks.
When you are travelling at faster speeds you tend to be a lot more attentive to everything around you (unfortunately speed traps even distract from your attention to the road) while coffee and texting take a back seat.
I had my moment to vent, and feel a little better, thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey Big news !!!!! ..... on the way to the meet today .. ( yes you candy *** guys that were there last night ,,,I got o bed at 4:00am and still managed to show up )

Anyways ..... saw the compass sign in Toronto saying " keep left lane clear for passing " it is a start .. ! I wish there was some place I could log on and give them the thumbs up and to get the word out ...
of course I like to think that some people read our forums and we in some small way influenced this...
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I was out for a drive today. I turned on to Hwy. 26 from Blue Mopuntain RD. east towards Collingwood. I saw a cop 2 cars back at the red light in the same direction I was going.
The speed limit is 60kmh then reduces to 50kmh.
He got behind me pretty quick.I decided to have some sport with him. I observed the speed limit to a tee. I couldn't go any slower. He followed me so close all I could see was the grill of his car. When the road went to 4 lanes he went around me and got stuck at a red light. I got beside him and gave him a dirty look. By the way it was the OPP in the old paint sheme.
When the light changed he took off. I followed him until he turned into the Wendy's parking lot.
I guess he was late for lunch.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

What you should have done is followed him into Wendy's to see how long he managed to park his broadening a$$ for that awesome lunch (I can see how that fine meal will make him so much more alert in the event of having to react to a real crime). I would have taken my camera out for a few interesting photos of the finest farce (oh I meant force) in this great land. (to be shared on the net of course). Why can't we take photos/vids of these guys doing incorrect things like speeding (for no reason), lane changes with no signals, following to close, harassing selected citizens because of their choice of car, etc.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of retards on the roads, we get some (I'll be nice here) "city folk" that head north on hwy 10, thru the village I live in (Chatsworth) on their merry way to Sauble Beach. Hwy 6 and 10 merge, with hwy 10 having to yield the right of way to hwy 6 traffic.

I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times that some retard has almost plowed into the side of my car while I'm on hwy 6 passing by the hwy 10 merge. In fact, often they think there's a "magical" extra lane and continue on, until they almost slam head-on into a huge tree.

99.9% of the time, the driver isn't even glancing over his or her left shoulder to check for oncoming traffic.

A-holes.

When I'm driving the family or the p-car, I watch attentively to avoid a collision.

When I'm in the winter beater, I hope they hit me. It would teach them a lesson.

Maybe I'm an a-hole for doing this? Oh well, tough ****.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Speaking of retards on the roads, we get some (I'll be nice here) "city folk" that head north on hwy 10, thru the village I live in (Chatsworth) on their merry way to Sauble Beach. Hwy 6 and 10 merge, with hwy 10 having to yield the right of way to hwy 6 traffic.

I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times that some retard has almost plowed into the side of my car while I'm on hwy 6 passing by the hwy 10 merge. In fact, often they think there's a "magical" extra lane and continue on, until they almost slam head-on into a huge tree.

99.9% of the time, the driver isn't even glancing over his or her left shoulder to check for oncoming traffic.

A-holes.

When I'm driving the family or the p-car, I watch attentively to avoid a collision.

When I'm in the winter beater, I hope they hit me. It would teach them a lesson.

Maybe I'm an a-hole for doing this? Oh well, tough ****.
That intersection has a $hitty design. That, and not paying attention, gets what you see all the time.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

It's interesting to note that Mr. 50 over and or Mr. 'safer roads' just ran over someone killing them and of course unlike Mr. Joe Q Public did not spend 1 minute behind bars, did not attend a bail hearing, was able to shave and had a suit brought to him and was released without posting bail. This is unlike the other 99.999% of the public who had anything REMOTELY like this happen to them would have spent a night in jail instead of a police office and would have been transported in a police van to the Collage Park courthouse for a bail hearing (not always the next day I might add) and would have then had to post bail. This did not happen.

Further: Who released the information about the police contact with this bike rider that occured 1 hour before this accident? The fact that the man may or may not have been drinking does not have anything to do with the issue of once he is clinging to the side of a car you don't keep driving. The fact that this report got into the press so fast (the incident report forms wouldn't have even made it to HQ yet) leads one to wonder if some 'backchecking' is being done on behalf of the former AG.

Interesting how the courier is being painted as a 'troubled person' and 'drunk' and was perhaps falling off the wagon yet the car owner who is reported to have been yelling back and forth with this person has not been painted as others would have - as suffering from 'road rage'?? Interesting huh?

Funny how it took until the AFTERNOON to charge him when they already had lots of witness statements.

Funny how there was no 'fail to remain' charge unlike others who have been charged when they drove to Tim Hortons down the street to report an accident when they didn't have a cell phone. (That happened to a guy in Woodbridge last year).

Will the videos from camera's in the area of the accident make it to Youtube as fast if they don't show the former AG in a good light??

My nose test alarm is going off.

Quick Reply: 51km/h over