Notices

Convertibles and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 02:55 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Default Convertibles and Motorcycles

How many of u here own Convertibles or removeable top cars? Any of the rennlisters here ride?

My 2001 Boxster S has seen the bulk of my sunny weather driving since acquiring it at the beginning of June. Today was the 1st day I took the motorcycle to work since getting the Pcar.

Of course, there haven't been a ton of sunny days this year in S. Ont.

My commute is about 40km along country roads to Stratford.

My streetbike is a 2000 Honda VFR800, I also have a trackbike, but am in the process of selling it.... not enough time to use it. It's a 2000 Honda CBR600f4 - well used, but still running strong, - buyer's been found, just working out the details.....

For people who also ride, which vehicle gets more use/mileage? The Pcar or the 2wheeler?

P
Old 07-31-2009 | 03:52 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

My 911 is a coupe with sunroof but I also have a BMW 330Cic that has droptop summer weather duties and is my daily driver. No bike, I prefer doors and 4 wheels.
Old 07-31-2009 | 03:57 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

So far this wint.... errrrrr, summer, I've put the top down on the daily driver less than 10 times. I'm embarrassed by how few miles I've put on the Harley.
Old 07-31-2009 | 06:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have not been on my bike since i put my Targa on the road after riding it for over 20 years. .. and since I was the first on scene at the motorcycle accident on the Hanlon this week . I will never get on it again ..
So i will stick to all my cruising in the Targa

Last edited by theiceman; 07-31-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2009 | 08:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

No bike here, and a 911 coupe. It's the single regret I have about the car. So I've decided to buy a 2nd one

Actually, my wife has decided she wants one, but because she'll want all the creature comforts, we'll wait until the 997 market has dropped and pick up an early 997 cabrio. Probably 4-5 years, when both kids are old enough to ride in the front.
Old 07-31-2009 | 08:24 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

No convertible's here since my days of abusing Miata demo's and a really badass M Roadster (the one based off the Z3) that was sold to make room for the 996.

Bikes...the list is long and distinguished. Ninja 500, Gixxer 600 K1, 2002 R6, Gixxer 1000 K4, Hayabusa, VTR1000 Firestorm and have test ridden just about everything else at some point or another. Only things left to do: some serious dirtbiking/supermoto and moto-trials. Cruisers and I don't get along...I want to lean, they don't

How are you liking the Viffer? Let me know what you're looking to get for the trackbike if your deal falls thru? Is it a salvage or clean title?
Old 08-01-2009 | 12:51 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Hi Omar,

The trackbike is a clean titile...... 50,000km+ maybe as high as 55,000km, not sure.

Basically it's a rashed up 2000CBR600f4, that I bought cheap and put on the track..... used it maybe 6 times in 2007, and it's been *super* winterized and stored since....

Most stuff is original, I haven't added any go fast goodies to it. It came with an aftermarket cam chain tensioner. The only stuff I did to it before tracking it was:

new Pilot CT2 tires front and rear
new chain - ?can't remember if I did sprockets, I'm thinking yes but notsure
overhauled forks
new EBC front brake pads....

I do have new *never mounted* Left,right, front fairings for it, but have never mounted them.....

I basically got it to get my 'mojo' back after my accident on VFR#1, but having 2 kids under 5 at the time made it hard to ditch the family to go ride around in circles on weekends.....

----------

I like the Viffer, I had a different 2000 vfr from 2001-06, but it met an untimely (and my fault ) demise when it T-boned a Chrysler Concorde in Wloo. I went to quebec to pick up the current one after that insurance claim.

On the VFR, it's got an Ohlins shock, heavier fork springs, touring screen, throttlemeister, heated grips, heated vest, Sargent seat, hard luggage..... I put about 8-10,000km/yr for the past couple years......

I started riding in 2000, started out with a used 92 FZR600 for the 1st season or 2.
Old 08-01-2009 | 01:19 AM
Rod.
Instructor

No convertible since my TR-6 days 10-12 years ago, but I do have 3-wheel bike now -- a Can-Am Spyder. Have only had it for 3 weeks -- and traded in my Suzuki 650 V-Strom for it -- but think it's a keeper. Basically, it's an open sports car with 3 wheels. With ABS, traction and stability control, it's pretty much as safe as a small car and way more fun. And it's Canadian!

Cheers,
Rod.
Old 08-01-2009 | 06:28 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
pilot 2ct's
Pete, how do u like these tires? I'm looking for a reasonable street alternative to the race rubber that seems to be on most bikes stock...changing tires every few thousand kms sucks.

How's the grip levels? can you still get a knee down without worrying?

No convertible since my TR-6 days 10-12 years ago, but I do have 3-wheel bike now -- a Can-Am Spyder. Have only had it for 3 weeks -- and traded in my Suzuki 650 V-Strom for it -- but think it's a keeper. Basically, it's an open sports car with 3 wheels. With ABS, traction and stability control, it's pretty much as safe as a small car and way more fun. And it's Canadian!

Cheers,
Rod.
Haha no way! my old mechanic has been trying 2 restore a tr6 forever!
Bring the can-am by a meet one day, i'd love 2 see one up close. I pass by a dealer in whitby all the time but never have the time to stop in.
Old 08-01-2009 | 01:41 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

As with Omar, I've had no convertible since abusing the Miata Mazdaspeed (sweet car!)

I rode dirtbikes CR250R's and a XR250 for trails. Tried various 125's but I liked the bigger 250's. Although the 125's I thought were better to jump with, a tad less weight to fight with.

I'll speak on behalf of my 'ol man. He definitely has a thing for convertibles and has had his fair share, previously an XKR Jaaaaaaaaaag (Top Gear reference ) and now the 997S Cab which I think will be sold soon. Eyes are on the new Turbo to eventually come out and make it the "final" Porsche.

He has a Harley Road King Centennial Edition w/ low (less than 2000kms I'd say). And the nut now wants a CRF450 to go dirtbiking again with his brother.
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:29 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Omar,

I have not perfected the knee down technique, but the tires are fine for peg grinding..... I don't have them long enough to comment on mileage, I've probably got less than 700km on my rear 2CT.

I know a few riders considerably faster than me that use the 2CT on the track without issues....

Pete
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:50 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
Omar,

I have not perfected the knee down technique, but the tires are fine for peg grinding..... I don't have them long enough to comment on mileage, I've probably got less than 700km on my rear 2CT.

I know a few riders considerably faster than me that use the 2CT on the track without issues....

Pete
If you're grinding hard parts, that's just about all the endorsment i needed to hear
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:51 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cleanme
As with Omar, I've had no convertible since abusing the Miata Mazdaspeed (sweet car!)
I never got to drive a Mazdaspeed Miata
It's the ONLY mazdaspeed i havn't driven.

Something about their cost vs. allocated units vs. units sold that made the old man go: "wait a minute...maybe we shouldn't try to set a class record in this car".
Old 08-02-2009 | 11:44 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Neither bike a 1994 HD Road King purchased new and with 49K on the clock, Sturgis 3x no trailer, or my 1997 748 Ducati had much use this crappy summer. For that matter neither my Cab. just that kind of weather.

If you want to learn to drag the knees on the bike go to Shannonville and take the riding school. I did it a few times years ago and even found it helped in riding the cruiser.

There is always next summer....
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:14 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With my old M-Roadster I never put the roof up. I just parked it in the garage with a cover on it and never drove in the rain. My only problem was that some loser broke my ash tray when he/she stole some change from the car when I parked downtown with the roof off. It wasn't even locked !!!! Stupid people!!

Hey OMAR....you still interested in my buddies 2003 R1? Can you handle a "liter bike??"

Quick Reply: Convertibles and Motorcycles