trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The End.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clarifying Jaak. I no longer need to search out Sunoco stations...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM
swbatte
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
+1 what our good friend Clive said.
This, as far as I know, is the better choice and stay away from the Ethanol damage.
John
+1 ethanol is a powerful solvent and will disolve particles in the gas station's tank or yours and clog your injectors. Shell Gold for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - I thought my question was super simple yet, as everything seems to be since I entered this crazy Porsche world, it was more complicated than one would first expect.

I want you to know that I just came back from a two hour drive with my 9 year old and on the way back we stopped off at Shell for some V-Power 91. The best part was, I finally knew for sure that this was the right fuel for my car.

Thanks guys - appreciate the info!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

yeah i've been hearing conflicting opinions about this, and i'm no expert and i have an old 951. Apparently in the US you can't even buy gas that doesn't have at least 10% blend of the stuff. Race cars run 80% or more Ethanol too... or so i've been told.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pickering993
Thanks for clarifying Jaak. I no longer need to search out Sunoco stations...
Chris, your welcome.

If you have any small engines such as outboards, skidoos, lawnmowers etc., it's best to use Shell 91 as well. They will run better and longer. If you use ethanol fuels, they have to be re jetted to run a bit richers. There have been a bunch of snow machines who's engines have burnt out after one season. I use it in my outboards and they run great. Used lower grades which has ethanol and they ran poorly.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
Wow - I thought my question was super simple yet, as everything seems to be since I entered this crazy Porsche world, it was more complicated than one would first expect.

I want you to know that I just came back from a two hour drive with my 9 year old and on the way back we stopped off at Shell for some V-Power 91. The best part was, I finally knew for sure that this was the right fuel for my car.

Thanks guys - appreciate the info!
What does your butt dyno say ...?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Race cars run 80% or more Ethanol too... or so i've been told.
This depends on the race series. IndyCar of course run Ethanol and up to this last weekend we were told that it was 100% but the recent race in Edmonton where they had a car fire and you could see the flames - leads me to believe along with the commentary that they have added a small amount of gasoline so you can see the flames now. (A good thing!)

Running such a high percentage of Ethanol WILL kill your engine; however this series 'pickles' their engines every night by twisting a valve and running gasoline through the motor from a spare tank for a few minutes until the system is purged and the motor is then shut down. They reverse the process in the morning before going out on track. If you leave Ethanol in your motor it will over a very short time frame (days) start pitting Aluminum and any other alloys as well as attack plastic's and rubber.

Alcohol actually works better in turbo motors running high boost and high compression motors and has worse fuel economy for the avg motorist due to it's lower thermal output. The advantage is lower heat which racers like if they are boosting the engine out of sight.

I've used Sunoco 94 when I had too as I was almost running out of gas and no Shell station in sight, but I only did a 1/4 tank of it to get to a Shell and fill up there. I would never fill up a car and store it for six months with the stuff in the tank!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Actually there are gas stations in the US that do not run ethanol. I actually saw a few last week and they advertise large.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
What does your butt dyno say ...?
I don't understand the question, but since I have a 9 year old son, I am guessing there is a joke in here somewhere??
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

he is basically asking does it " feel" faster
Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aluminum + ethanol = trouble

I stay away from that crap. Only an engine designed for it can run well with it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
he is basically asking does it " feel" faster
Ah, thanks. I have only filled up a handful of times since I got the car and once was the v-Power - I just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

I am getting more comfortable and confident with the car each day so that's really what makes the car feel faster to me at this point. Maybe once I get a few more months and hopefully, a DE day under my belt, I'll be able to notice performance changes better.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
+1 ethanol is a powerful solvent and will disolve particles in the gas station's tank or yours and clog your injectors. Shell Gold for me.
Yes, and:
The worse is Ethanol absorbs water right from the air (it is hygroscopic), and also,
it separates from gasoline within 90 days- definitely no good for storage.

There are several documents in this site with more details.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
I don't understand the question, but since I have a 9 year old son, I am guessing there is a joke in here somewhere??
Your Butt Dyno .. does your Butt feel it is faster and more responsive when in the drivers seat ... similar to a dyno where one tests the car on ....

gonna hafta call you a rube for a while ....

Quick Reply: Octane Question