Notices

OT: iphone 3.0...internet tethering!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Default OT: iphone 3.0...internet tethering!

just updated to 3.0 on my iphone and lo and behold, it now has internet tethering. I turned off my airport card on my laptop and now it's connected to the internet via my phone. This is going to be so useful when I'm giving workshops in hotel conference rooms and they want to charge me $300 to hook up my laptop to the web for a 5 min demo!
Works over bluetooth or usb. With wifi or 3G. Almost as fast as when the wifi is direct to the laptop.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

sending vcards is a breeze too. This phone just got way better. and it was great to begin with!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Ivc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, the other great thing about it is that there is (for now) no extra charge for iPhone tethering as long as you stay within your 6GB monthly data limit -- and ordinary surfing won't bump into that limit.

On Rogers.com, they warn that this no-charge iPhone tethering is a "promotion" that will only last until the end of this year, at which time they'll re-assess how they charge for it -- i.e., no doubt they'll add some form of additional charge.

This essentially gives me internet service at my country place, which I wasn't going to bother paying for, making my monthly iPhone bill a much better value.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

It's about time! I did the same thing, works great. Will save that fee every time I'm in a hotel now, and much more convenient than a rocket stick.

My only disappointment is voice control - I thought that was a software feature, and would be included with 3.0, but it looks like it is restricted to the new phone. Oh well.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

iPhone Rulz!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TargaMatt

My only disappointment is voice control - I thought that was a software feature, and would be included with 3.0, but it looks like it is restricted to the new phone. Oh well.
Same, I wanted to make an app for myself to see if I could use one. But I guess the voice control requires the extra processing power & ram of the 3G S.

I personally like MobileMe's Find my iPhone feature. You can track where the phone is and send it messages/sounds. Pretty cool.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut and Paste ROCKS !!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Ivc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Cut and Paste ROCKS !!!!
Yes, with the revolutionary addition of cut and paste, the iPhone has suddenly leaped into ... the 1990's!

Truly, though, the iPhone 3G is the funnest e-toy I own, and OS 3.0 makes it considerably better.

My wife is over at the Apple store right now getting an iPhone 3GS, so she'll be mocking me with the better hardware for a while.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Find my iphone is very slick. I love the tethering...using it now from the conference room of the dealer. Easier than getting their password and ID info for a quick surf.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ok guys,
i need help deciding what to do. telus has pissed me off for the last time so i'm cancelling 2day and going to rogers.

1) 3 year contract on the old iphone and i can get em to knock another 50$ off the phone

2) any reason i should shell out more $ for the new iphone?

3) what about the blackberry storm..that thing looks gangster.

4) any way to con them into giving me a discount on plans that i should know about (free voicemail would be nice)

aaaaand go!

Quick Reply: OT: iphone 3.0...internet tethering!