Notices

Anyone here replaced their own early 911 windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone here replaced their own early 911 windshield

I have a new dash for my car and need to remove my windshield in order to install it. Just wondering if anyone here has done a re and re of their windshield themselves and would be willing to help me with this project. I have the 101 projects book and it has this as one of the projects, but first hand experience is invaluable. By the way, the windshield in question would for a 1978 SC.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done it once before. I'm assuming you have a new windshield seal? If not it's a good time to get one. The trickiest part to this is getting the aluminum strip back into the seal once the windshield is in. It's VERY easy to bend out of shape, especially at the corners so you have to be very gentle and careful when removing and installing. If it isn't the right shape when installing, the corners will not sit flush, potentially allowing water to get in.

When I did it on mine, I needed a few tries to get the trip strip in properly, but at the end it turned out well and didn't leak. Kind of helps to have 2 people, but not critical. I did it by myself at the time. Just takes a while when you're being careful...
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

I thought you were suppose to put the aluminum strip in BEFORE you put the windshield in. I was under the impresion the order of operation was
1. put string around winshield under lip
2. Place rubber seal around windshield
3. Install aluminum trim around windshield
4. Press windshield into position and pull string from insdie pulling windshiels seal over body lip.

Am i way out here ?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***** on Clive, I did my BMW that way. The windshield, rubber and trim must be all assembled prior to installing and pulling the string.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I've read about this a few times on Pelican, and the consensus seems to be that while it's certainly DIYable, you need a lot of patience and time, and it might be one of those projects that are better left to pros. NOT Apple Auto Glass, a proper shop.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have checked with the shop the Pfaff uses. They want $425.00 for the re and re with a new windshield. Plus I will have to get a new rubber seal from Franzle which I imagine is at leat $100.00. All that just to change my dash. Maybe what i will do is try it myself (with a buddy...RK, are you in?). If I break the glass, I will get the glass place to reinstall a new one for me.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My mistake. Yes you put the seal on the windshield first and put the trim on the seal while the assembly is out of the car. But you put the string on the seal, not on the body or windshield. The tricky part was getting the trim to line up when putting it on the seal while it was on the windshield, but not yet in the car. You have to do it then because you can't pull the trim out once it's installed on the car.
Another alternative (I did this on my back window) was to not use the trim strip, but instead use black wire or the ribbing used to hold screens in on house windows and screendoors. I couldn't get the back trim in on the seal in the back window without warping it and getting it to line up properly, so I cheated and used the wire method. That way, it's a simple install seal around window, put string on seal (with soap), put assembly on body and pull the string out. Then install the wire where the trim strip would have gone. And if you need to remove again, you don't need to cut the seal again, just pull the wire out and start again.

Quick Reply: Anyone here replaced their own early 911 windshield