Notices

U.S.Import/Temp Permit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S.Import/Temp Permit

I recently brougt a US car into Canada for the usual resons-Price,Choice,Condition,No winters.This is my 4th US car. Ontario has recently changed the temp permit regulations. They wont issue a T permit until you have the stamp from canadian tire(aftre the headlights are done,No -recall letter etc.) . So now you have to trailer or tow the car around to the emissions, headlights repogramme,certification. By then you dont need the temp permit because you qualify for the permanent one. Anyone else recently experienced the same frustrations? The only thing that makes it worthwhile is a car with a bottom clean enough to eat off.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's incredible; another Kafkaesque moment in Ontario politics.

Hope you can get this sorted out.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

This doesn't make any since. One of the main purposes of the temp permit is to allow you to drive your car to CT to have the inspections done.

I agree the way it worded in the link below, it seem that your vehicle need to be "registered and plated in the new vehicle owners name", but it also make mention of a "special Permit". Maybe this is what is now required to drive to and from the inspection centers.

Good luck. It seems patients in necessary when dealing with the MOT as you are at the mercy of the clerk's "interpretation" of the law.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/temp.shtml
Old 05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Know anyone with a dealer plate you could borrow?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I am borrowing a plate from a dealer tomorrow.I did speak to a higher member of the MOT food chain whose answer was "tow it"
Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
asharma
4th Gear

doesn't your form 1 from RIV serve as your temp permit until CT stamps it? Check with RIV...
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

When I brought a car from the US to Ontario I just bought a $10 Illinois temp permit and it was valid in Ontario. I even got pulled over by the cop and he didn't have a problem with it. They are more concerned with your having registration and insurance.

I would call the Ontario DMV and still see if a US temp tag is acceptable also call the DMV from the start you are buying the car to see if you can buy one for cheap. Some states require you to pay tax on the purchase price for a temp tag.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is the car?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
When I brought a car from the US to Ontario I just bought a $10 Illinois temp permit and it was valid in Ontario.
That's what I did too.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

buy a temp permit from the state where you bought the car. typically good for 30 days or so. In my case I bought a car from MA, which don't have temp permits. I may have used a set plates from another vehicle to drive it home :-)
Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow .... I have never purchased south of the border but have thought about it a number of times. I really hope you can get this sorted out without too much further agrevation. - Glenn
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

I just went through the same thing. Their answer was "tow it". Luckily I found a Porsche shop that did the DRL, safety check, towed it to emissions, towed it to CT and got everything done for me. EXTREMELY good service. If anyone's in the Ottawa area don't hesitate to bring your business to Auto Import.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 356 Posts

I went though the same thing with the Audi and got the same answer, tow it. I mulled that over until I realized it still had Cali plates with a valid sticker,..so...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I borrowed a dealer plate for the day and got the headlights and emissions done.What is really frustrating is jumping thru the hoops for 2 levels of government who are living on my taxes and do everything they can to impede me in a perfectly legal process of importing a US car.As a funny aside. I was driving home on the dealer plate exiting Steels to the on ramp to 400 north when an OPP jumped out at me with the question "do you know what the speed limit is?" I was doing about 50k! He said the on ramp was 30k, which is rather stupid if you are about to merge with 110k traffic. He let me off with a warning as I guess he was hunting for street racers(doing 80k on the on ramp). Police state? I probable ranted enough.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ANDREW_D.
I was driving home on the dealer plate exiting Steels to the on ramp to 400 north when an OPP jumped out at me with the question "do you know what the speed limit is?" I was doing about 50k! He said the on ramp was 30k, which is rather stupid if you are about to merge with 110k traffic. He let me off with a warning as I guess he was hunting for street racers(doing 80k on the on ramp). Police state? I probable ranted enough.
And watch the north bound 400 off ramp at Steels Ave as well! I was on my way to the CASC office last month after the GTA meeting and came around the ramp and there was a seatbelt blitz (4 or 5 pulled over already) and a cop points at me as I go by (at the speed limit) and I_just_kept_going... Came to the left turn off the ramp at Steels and no cop behind me with flashing lights so I made the left turn and just motored on at the posted limit. Still don't know what he wanted? I was doing the limit and wearing my belt. Oh I get, we *sound* fast.

Quick Reply: U.S.Import/Temp Permit