Notices

A 'load' or a valid reason??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default A 'load' or a valid reason??

So I obtain a new key and fob for my 996 from another Rennlister. Phone up a certain dealer in the 'City Above Toronto' and ask them if they can cut a new key and program ($65.00) it. They tell me they won't cut any keys not bought at the dealership because, 'The Service manager says that they have had their cutting tool diamond *damaged* by after market key blanks'. But of course they are quite happy to sell me a new key blank for $95.00!! I bet they are... *&%$#2@

It seems to me that any after market knock off would be too soft a metal - not too hard as this parts guy says. Then after being told that the parts guys can program the key fob - then he tells me that only the service dept can do this and after he checks he tells me not before June 2 could they 'fit' me in.

Has anyone else heard this issue about after market blanks or do you think as I do that this is a cash grab by this dealer? Would I have any better luck with Downtown or are they all trying to fit every hand they can into every pocket I have without me getting a happy ending?

Sounds like the proposed new law Ontario is drafting that FORCES the OEM's to share training, special tools, service programs with the Indy's couldn't come to soon.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Times are tough, sales are tough. If someone treats you like crap, WALK and NEVER go back.

I had a sponsor of 6speed screw me out of a small amount last year. For that small amount, he lost a $7500 sale of oem carbon fiber. I'll never deal with him again and will steer all my imaginary friends away.

I like Mike. Tell him why you're walking and give him a chance.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

you should be able to get the key cut at Pacific Mall
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get a VW key blank cut last year and got the same response. Though it was because it was too soft and would gumm up the cutter.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

What amazes me is that with forums such as this, news on bad service travels fast. If I owned a dealership, I would be doing all I could to be the preferred vendor. Having said that, if there is a legit reason not to cut the key, then I can understand that. I guess we need to hear the other side of the story.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
If I owned a dealership, I would be doing all I could to be the preferred vendor.
Not only that, but wouldn't you also spend time on these forums, looking for things like this that come up, and deal with it directly, openly and publicly? Here we've got the time, space, and likely technical knowledge for a full technical explanation of why it won't work.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
you should be able to get the key cut at Pacific Mall
Pacific mall??? Sounds like a place to get DVD's filmed off movie screens? Tell me more please. From what I was told the key is cut using a PC controlled machine that other then dealers, few have.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Actually they have a point.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Actually they have a point.
what?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
What amazes me is that with forums such as this, news on bad service travels fast. If I owned a dealership, I would be doing all I could to be the preferred vendor. Having said that, if there is a legit reason not to cut the key, then I can understand that. I guess we need to hear the other side of the story.
+1 Pfaff GM and Pfaff Tuning guys were on at one point but they have MIA for a while now.

It couldn't hurt for them to chime in on this one.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Pacific mall??? Sounds like a place to get DVD's filmed off movie screens? Tell me more please. From what I was told the key is cut using a PC controlled machine that other then dealers, few have.
couple years ago they made a mercedes key for me. just ask around in there and someone will direct your to the right store.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Sounds kind of cloak and daggerish to me .. never trust anyone who starts a conversation with " pssst... buddy... "
Old 05-23-2009, 01:49 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM key blanks are only $20 USD at Suncoast. Perhaps the dealer from the 'City Above Toronto' is using the wrong currency conversion.

Give Suncoast a call, they may even be able to cut your key based in your VIN info.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=996keys

You will need the bar code from the fob for the dealer to program it though.

Quick Reply: A 'load' or a valid reason??