Notices

Calabogie Motorsport Park Review – Best track day ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 02:28 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Default Calabogie Motorsport Park Review – Best track day ever

Wow, what an awesome weekend!! We had the rare opportunity to enjoy one of North America’s finest and newest racetracks, almost to ourselves. With only nine cars signed up, we had essentially unlimited track time. I did ~80 laps on the 5km track for a total of 400km on-track! Before lunch, I already had six sessions completed.

The track

For those that haven’t been to Calabogie, it’s a stunningly beautiful track with 20 corners, elevation changes, and corners with blind entries. For the most part, the track is very safe with room to spin and to push your car. I think to feel comfortable on this track, you need half a day (just to figure out where the track goes with 20 corners), but to go fast I think would take a year.

The track itself is picturesque and smooth as a billiard table. That smoothness allows you to really feel the car and the chassis through corners and in the braking zones. You don’t have to position the car based on bumps or have the grip disturbed by poor surfaces. Instead, it’s just you and the car dancing through the hills.

Warm welcome

I have to also give huge kudos to track manager Bruce Gregory for his hospitality and good nature. He welcomed us with open arms and treated us like we had been lifelong friends. I’ve never been to a track before where the track manager has been so kind, easy-going, professional and caring; a rare treat that I hope to experience again and again at Calabogie.

Lap around the track

A really fast lap on this track (maybe a lap record?) for a production car is 2:17 set in a 997 GT3. I was quite a ways behind at 2:26, but given how long the lap is, and being the first time out, I’m not too concerned. Regardless, I hope to get a lot closer the next time out as I understand the track and the fast way around better.

Let’s take a lap around this amazing track called Calabogie Motorsports Park (from the Calabogie Motorsport Park website):

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...=47&Itemid=130

Love at first drive

For myself, the corners I loved the most are 4 (Easy), 7 (Candy Mountain), 9 (Deliverance), 15 (Spoon) and 16 (4Left). I love 4, 7, and 9 because they are blind, full throttle corners where the car comes over the crest and feels like you’re being shot out of cannon. I love 9 and 15 because they make your palms sweaty being such high speed corners if you get them right. The corners I struggled with the most were the slower ones (19, 20) and a fast one that requires a lot of confidence (the Kink at corner 1). I didn’t mind 8 (Temptation) because I love trail braking the GT3 and could carry a lot of speed in while still being at the right angle coming out.

Conclusion

I still have a long ways to go before mastering this track, but what a thrill and an opportunity it was to drive such a world-class track in my own backyard!! Thank you to Bruce for allowing us to enjoy a great day, on a great track, with stunning scenery, in a great car! When I get a chance later tonight, I’ll add some pics and hopefully an in-car video (does this track no justice).
Old 05-11-2009 | 02:59 PM
MikeB 81SC
Instructor

Totally agree +1

Life long fan now....will now be a once or twice a year pilgrimage

The drive from Toronto is long (5 1/2 hours).....but all is foregiven after the first lap!
Old 05-11-2009 | 05:02 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Link to some photos and video
Old 05-11-2009 | 05:16 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Spoon is fun... foot to the floor, car slipping left....downhill... blindly.....

I miss Calabogie.
Old 05-11-2009 | 05:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Calabogie is an outstanding track! Spoon is one of my all-time favorite corners - hard opn the gas taking advantage of the camber - talk about a rush!

Two minor corrections, there are 22 named corners and Bruce Gregory in addition to being a very nice guy is also the founder and one of the owners of the track.

Best,
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:59 PM
brucegre
Banned

Guys, thanks for coming out and thanks for the kind words. We really lucked out on the weather, the weekend was pretty wet, all we got on Friday was a late shower to wash some dust off the cars.

I'll try and do it again in August, let's see if we can get a few more Rennlisters out there!

BTW, as Bob said there are 22 corners, but you'll always hear me talk about 20 as we have 9a and 9b (Deliverance) and 12a and 12b (Beak). It's definitely 22 points to think about!

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 05-11-2009 | 11:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Glad you guys enjoyed your day.

Calabogie is a phenomenal track. The more I drive it, the more I love it. Under an hour from home ... priceless.

Here's a video of "Track Manager" Bruce http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...138&video_id=3

I still have 3-4 seconds to make up to match his speed.

I have a friend who's an automotive journalist. After going to Infineon (Sears Point) his comment was, "This place has nothing on Calabogie."
Old 05-12-2009 | 10:05 AM
MikeB 81SC
Instructor

FCRACER - It was such a great day and I forgot to bring my camera....I'm dying to see some more pics....can your passenger share via email, web link to an album or posted pics?

thanks

P.S. great write-up!
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:47 PM
Silver C
Advanced

Default Is it worth the drive?

Greg and I made the drive in just over 4 hours. Out we left Pfaff (401 - o darn only 2 gears - Pfaff - fixed eternal thanks) at 4.15 and checked in at the Calabogie Peaks at 8.30. That included the afternoon traffic - went 407 and past Mosport. Back was probably quicker 'cept for the breakfast stop and that is staying below "get a ticket".

To those who maybe think the world ends at Mosport...

Mosport can eat cars when you start to run fast, the walls aren't that far off the track, the smallest mistake can cost big, I have scars.

Calabogie has an average speed about 20kph slower with a lot more room to get out of trouble.

Mosport isn't a drivable track in the rain unless you have to (same foolish scars), Calabogie is.

I'm not dissing Mosport - it's a phenomal track as we all know, just I think that Calabogie is more track day friendly, you can experiment and play with the car, I discovered lifting in a corner to get rotation (thanks Bruce), understeer - just sit back and wait to hook up cos there is plenty of room. Hell we even swapped cars it felt that safe.

22 as opposed to 12 corners is a lot more satisfying to get to know.

You can buy a lot of hotel nights for one "Hello Mr Wall"

Guess I'm a fan - just need new tires for the next one.
Old 05-12-2009 | 03:15 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silver C
Greg and I made the drive in just over 4 hours. Out we left Pfaff (401 - o darn only 2 gears - Pfaff - fixed eternal thanks) at 4.15 and checked in at the Calabogie Peaks at 8.30. That included the afternoon traffic - went 407 and past Mosport. Back was probably quicker 'cept for the breakfast stop and that is staying below "get a ticket".

To those who maybe think the world ends at Mosport...

Mosport can eat cars when you start to run fast, the walls aren't that far off the track, the smallest mistake can cost big, I have scars.

Calabogie has an average speed about 20kph slower with a lot more room to get out of trouble.

Mosport isn't a drivable track in the rain unless you have to (same foolish scars), Calabogie is.

I'm not dissing Mosport - it's a phenomal track as we all know, just I think that Calabogie is more track day friendly, you can experiment and play with the car, I discovered lifting in a corner to get rotation (thanks Bruce), understeer - just sit back and wait to hook up cos there is plenty of room. Hell we even swapped cars it felt that safe.

22 as opposed to 12 corners is a lot more satisfying to get to know.

You can buy a lot of hotel nights for one "Hello Mr Wall"

Guess I'm a fan - just need new tires for the next one.
Kevin, you're killing me here, I had though about signing up and coming out to oil down Bruces track but now since you're saying that there is lots of room for peeps to slide off without doing serious damage... maybe I'll be there in August. I don't find Mosport fun at all in my snail of a car but contary to everyone else I do enjoy Shannonville so maybe Calabogie will be a revalation.

PS, only if said oil leak is fixed by then.
Old 05-12-2009 | 03:59 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Some pics from Calabogie. My friend is new to his SLR so forgive him as he learns: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8126751...7618047743236/

Quick Reply: Calabogie Motorsport Park Review – Best track day ever