Notices

PCA Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PCA Fire Extinguisher?

Would like to attend some PCA days but I need a Fire Extinguisher.
Sharkwerks sells the sport bucket seat bracket but I need to find who localy sells the Safecraft Extinguisher specific to the bracket.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...gt3-seats.html
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure you buy the bracket that mounts to the passenger seat rails. From what I know of PCA rules it has to mount to 'metal' and within reach of the driver. Shoot Ray a PM - he's the expert on PCA racing.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good quality 2.5 lb. ABC extingusher will work. Would also need the METAL bracket, not plastic to mount onto the adapter bracket. The adapter bracket needs to be mounted metal to metal, most likely the seat rails in front of the passenger seat.

Look in the yellow pages or else use your service company on your fire bottles at your pub. Home depot and other retail shops sell the lower quality with the plastic brackets.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 PM
wxseed
Instructor

These guys are good to deal with and they have halon equivilent. They mainly deal with industrial accounts but they sell retail.

http://www.herbertwilliams.com/
Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I got my brackets made by Mantis for both cars and they work great...metal to metal using passenger seat bolts. you also can remove the extinguisher and leave the bracket for more comfortable foot room between track days.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
mdex
Racer

I have never understood why PCA insists on a fire extinguisher in the car. If your car is on fire get out and let the marshals deal with it... If you do have an impact, and that "missile" tears loose it can do a lot of damage.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mdex
If your car is on fire get out and let the marshals deal with it...
What am I , your slave? Let the 'help' clean it up?

All kidding aside, on DE days there is only one marshal per corner and if you pull over half way up between 5C and station 6 at Mosport and your on fire it's going to be at least a few minutes before either 5C or 6 get to you and or I call track services at 4 to come running. In that time you could have quite a lot of damage. At least if you can get to the fire by shooting the dry chem up under the engine bay or under the dash which ever type of fire you have, you have half a chance to cut down the damage. If your aware of what is going on around you and your car - you'll pull over to where the marshal is at their station to get at the fire quickly. NOTE: Always pull over BEFORE the station so they don't have to waste time waving the flag - the preceeding station can get the radio call to wave the yellow and the marshal can now run to your fire. Don't stop on the track and make us a target and DON'T pull ACROSS from the station - be aware of where all the stations are! I can't tell you how many people get this wrong. And come out to the stations when your not on track and stand with us (you are allowed to do that) and talk to us - we don't bite!) Well there is one who does, but I won't mention her name...

If you do have an impact, and that "missile" tears loose it can do a lot of damage.
If you hit that hard and it tears loose you either mounted it incorrectly or you have way 'bigger' problems then worrying about a bottle flying around!

A secondary plus is the fact yu have a bottle in your car for when Murphy's Law attacks you on the drive home on the 401. You just never know...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

1+

Every car should have a fire bottle whether you track it or not. You just don't know when you could use it to save someone's life....................
Old 04-18-2009, 07:56 AM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by Raymond Lum
1+

Every car should have a fire bottle whether you track it or not. You just don't know when you could use it to save someone's life....................
Agreed, but in the trunk.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by Torontoworker

If you hit that hard and it tears loose you either mounted it incorrectly or you have way 'bigger' problems then worrying about a bottle flying around!
I have seen very flimsy mounts, and have seen them pull loose in impacts where the driver was able to walk away (and hadn't been hit by the bottle luckily). The best option it to build in a system, or keep a bottle mounted in the trunk in order to help others out.

Luckily the only fire I have seen first hand at a DE was in the pits and there were bottles on pit wall that were used to put it out quickly.

Quick Reply: PCA Fire Extinguisher?