Notices

Hershey Swap Meet - anyone been? Going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I personally fixed the US balance of payment problem.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Well i was a little concerned tha the guys would be dissapointed after the long drive since so many guys asked about it before hand, but i think the boys made okay ... i think Robison s still ying in bed stroking his 40 dollar blower ...... er ...... motor ...
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some highlights - with Pics...

Weather was spectacular - in fact - I got a bit of a burn!

Crowd was bigger than last few years (according to some) or smaller than the last few years (according to others).

But there was no denying the youthful giddyness we all felt at row after row of new and used parts. Despite Jim's excellent attempts to disuade anyone else from going, it really is a spectacular event.

The corral was full of interesing cars as well - from Beck Spyders to a CGT, owned by the most down-to-earth collector I've ever met. And there was ample evidence of the recession too - the barn-find rotting 356 corpse was going for a mere $20,000!

But more than anythign was the bottomless amounts of fun we had as a road-tripping crew! THey say the journey can be half the fun and in this case it certainly was.

Do you like going to Hershey? Ya Doooo!

RK
Attached Images        
Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, I have to agree, it was a fantastic trip. I was like a like in a candy store. I found so much stuff that I desparately needed. Leather power Porsche seats that Frank wanted to charge me $1,000.00 plus tax for, were a mere $250.00 all in, and they look brand new. I also got rear seat belts, a fog light switch, a new cigarette lighter, a '78 owners manual, a tool kit for $65.00, a heater control module for $15.00 (Frank wanted $250), a replacement dash that looks, rear brake light covers, a new hood crest, Rennline aluminum sill plate, new and rear seats to match my new black front seats. But the best thing I bought was my new Porsche key chain...lol

Then there were the girls. Few and far between, but what there was were a pleasure to look at and talk about for 9.5 hours on the drive back.

Do you like beautiful woman....Ya doooooo!

The CGT looked great and has a wonderful sound under throttle, otherwise it is as quiet as a Mercedes when idling.

Can't wait for next year!

By the way RK, check out my Avatar. I got the right lens covers.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Yup, I have to agree, it was a fantastic trip. I was like a like in a candy store. I found so much stuff that I desparately needed. Leather power Porsche seats that Frank wanted to charge me $1,000.00 plus tax for, were a mere $250.00 all in, and they look brand new. I also got rear seat belts, a fog light switch, a new cigarette lighter, a '78 owners manual, a tool kit for $65.00, a heater control module for $15.00 (Frank wanted $250), a replacement dash that looks, rear brake light covers, a new hood crest, Rennline aluminum sill plate, new and rear seats to match my new black front seats. But the best thing I bought was my new Porsche key chain...lol
Randy at Whale Tail says that Frank is good for his business.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC Frank charges 50% of list .... as more "used parts" vendors ...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Well - I have to say that an 8 hour road trip with three great guys to shop for smokin' great deals in the warm glorious sunshine sure beat driving an hour into the wilderness on a snowy cold day only to find Frank's place unexpextedly closed on a Saturday morning.

Too bad Hershey is only once a year. I wonder if a local version would fly?

RK
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Well - I have to say that an 8 hour road trip with three great guys to shop for smokin' great deals in the warm glorious sunshine sure beat driving an hour into the wilderness on a snowy cold day only to find Frank's place unexpextedly closed on a Saturday morning.

Too bad Hershey is only once a year. I wonder if a local version would fly?

RK
Agreed. That sucked last December when we drove out to his place to find it closed. I noticed that he advertises in Excellence now.

As for the Hershey distance, I had so many great laughs with you guys and that really was so much a part of the fun. I wouldn't change it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Frank also says one price, then you drive there and the price is 50% more. I personally will NEVER, EVER deal with him again. I've had great luck with most Rennlisters and Pelicanites...I just make sure its a person with a well-known "rep" on the board from years of P-car experience, and thread feedback.

On the other hand, Randy at Whaletail is, well, Randy. He seems to know his stuff, but sometimes he's full of **** too.

I think "buyer beware" for any vendors that make their living at selling used Porsche parts is a must.

I've looked at the Hershey threads, and I say it looked to be a fun time. I may try to get in on a run next year.

I'm getting my S parts prepped for paint and assembly next week...then I will be ready for 944Fest in June.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

RS Barn called today and said they've shipped my 968 M030 suspension today. Did I tell you about the Porsche flag and 25 dollar 951 axles? Like a kid in a candy store. I really enjoyed chatting with folks with their cars. Like the guy with the black 52 356, it had taken five years to get to Hershey. Priceless and highly recommended.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

The friggin prices I keep hearing about....sheesh, I gots to go next year!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

No no no! The prices are a fictional fabrication - everything is two to three times as expensive as you'd expect. It WILL pour rain and the drive is a total pain. Don't go - it's not worth it - you'll hate it. ; )

RK
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

I got a feeling we'll need a big bus next year
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
No no no! The prices are a fictional fabrication - everything is two to three times as expensive as you'd expect. It WILL pour rain and the drive is a total pain. Don't go - it's not worth it - you'll hate it. ; )

RK
Agreed. My stuff seemed like a great deal at the time but everything has since fallen apart. Just a bunch of garage garbage. I will never go again and I recommend that nobody else go either. Big waste of time and money.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

I didn't mind the drive distance but the roads are awful. It's like pavement wasn't invented. No wait, that was your driving.

Quick Reply: Hershey Swap Meet - anyone been? Going?