Notices

Porsche Factory Tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Tour

I have a trip planned for Germany this summer and, of course, Stuttgart is a pivotal part of the excursion. Obviously the museum will be worth the look, but how does one get a plant tour? I have been told that an arrangement needs to be done on one's behalf via a dealership, Is this true? As I am not a new Porsche owner (I drive a 40 yr old Poorsch aah), I am certain that they at the dealership will treat me like every other Hans, Helmut and Heine who doesn't give them new business. Has anyone done the plant tour ? What has been your experience ? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

I believe that PCA is your best connection for this. The UCR historian has some connections over there.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama
I have a trip planned for Germany this summer and, of course, Stuttgart is a pivotal part of the excursion. Obviously the museum will be worth the look, but how does one get a plant tour? I have been told that an arrangement needs to be done on one's behalf via a dealership, Is this true? As I am not a new Porsche owner (I drive a 40 yr old Poorsch aah), I am certain that they at the dealership will treat me like every other Hans, Helmut and Heine who doesn't give them new business. Has anyone done the plant tour ? What has been your experience ? Thanks for any help.
I did a factory tour at Zuffenhausen a few years back. Needless to say, it was memorable.

It was a surprise birthday present from some co-workers, as I was over in Germany doing some work at the time. My German coworkers told me I was late for an unscheduled meeting, put me in a Smart car, drove thru Stuttgart and got dropped off at the front gate where I was met by my guide.

I had a bit of an 'in', since I was designing for Porsche at the time.

I would start with PCA to try and get contact info. IIRC, they do have public tours from time to time, small groups.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

also go to the 996 board and Rhonda from FVD just posted a lot of photos of the new museum...very cool. oh and be sure to post your photos here after you go.
Is the Nurburgring part of your plans?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Bahama
Pro

Thanks for the tips, I will exercise all opportunities.
I will definitely post all Porsche pics of the museum and any others seen via my travels (once I can figure out how to post that many). Unfortunately, Nurburgring has not been officially added to the travel plans as yet (is there an outlet mall or specialty shoe/purse store near by ? then perhaps if I drop my wife off...)
Seriously many places to see and other histories to consider, so Nurburgring may not happen, this time.
Thanks again
Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also consider the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. It's only 10 mins from the Porsche Museum and apparently something to behold. Although you might have to find that outlet mall for your wife first!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Bahama
Pro

Absolutely, Mercedes is also part of the 2 1/2 day stay in Stuttgart. In fact I have tightened up and even eliminated visits with family members in Germany to accomodate these automotive experiences. My wife is actually okay with both museums, but I am sure that there is a catch somewhere (like having to participate in a Swarovski museum tour in Innsbruck followed by mandatory and numerous jewelry purchase decisions...)

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Tour