Notices

Bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts
Default Bearing replacement

Just a cross post for the guys at todays get together .. I finally defeated the blasted bearing on the Audi

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...n-porsche.html
Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Suggestion for next time !

Hey Clive remember I mentioned a product called Loctite Freeze Release that Jim 7 introduced me to at one of the Saturday GTGs.

http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

When I purchased some from Brafasco (Markham store) the guy at the counter said that the product is slowly starting to catch on but not for removing rusted bolts but instead of removing and installing bearings. They use the Loctite Freeze Release to "slightly shrink" bearings so they can be removed or installed easier.

PS. The regular price is $17 but I bought 2 cans on sale at the Markham store (corner of Denison and Victoria Park) for $8 per can.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I would call "trial by fire". Nice work though.

Mark, how well does it work on rusted bolts? I'm thinking in terms of my exhuast system bolts.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey MArk

I can see in theory how it would work but you wouldhave to move fast as metal of course is one of the best conductors known for transfering heat therefore the surrounding housing would freeze and shrink also.

The press got her out allright , and I still would have needed it with any product.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
...Mark, how well does it work on rusted bolts? I'm thinking in terms of my exhuast system bolts.
It should work pretty well on rusted exhaust bolts.

I helped a buddy with his car last month and the product seems to work pretty well the bolts came off alot easier in a garage just slightly above freezing. The only thing I found is that you have to be a bit liberal (use a lot) when spraying down the bolt/nuts to get them good and cold. It does take some getting used to as it seems the bigger the area the more we used (I can't over state this fact)... you can run out pretty fast and in fact that is what happened (good thing they were on sale for $8 at Brafasco)... after that the fasteners that we didn't spray down seem to be alot harder to crack.

Jim had said to me when he showed me the product... use this first then if you're still stuck use a torch.

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey MArk
I can see in theory how it would work but you wouldhave to move fast as metal of course is one of the best conductors known for transfering heat therefore the surrounding housing would freeze and shrink also.

The press got her out allright , and I still would have needed it with any product.
I'm just repeating what the guy at the store told me... I'm not sure about the technical bits but the product works because of the differences in the shrink rates as the metals get colder.

Ya having a press is the only way to remove those bearings... I know where I'm heading when I need a press.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Clive,

Nice work, and a good looking press you got there!

I have removed bearings like that without the use of a press but you need a nacetylane(sp?) torch to do it. Hammered out all the insides of the bearing, leaving only the outter race, then with a torch, very carefully, at a near paralel angle, cut the outter race. Because the bearing and the cast iron hub are two different metals, during the cutting (when the metal is melting) you can see where one ends and the other begins. This way you only cut the race and not the hub. Then I use the old outter race to hammer in the new bearing. However, there is always a sequence of how the bearing has to go back in to the hub, otherwise you can easily damage the new one.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeh Imre I htought of having it cut out . But buying a press sounded WAY cooler.
Now I just need a reason to by a mig welder...

Quick Reply: Bearing replacement