Notices

Anybody selling a 3.0L engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Apparently wtb ads are verboten for non-paying members - I thought it was just sale ads, so I've deleted. Apologies.

Last edited by Christien; 02-05-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,095 Likes on 782 Posts

So is the original engine pooched Christien ? this is now a technical thread not a wtb thread.

What have your investigations revealed on testing your motor ? what are your long term plans, to rebuild yours so you can keep your car original ? it is a nice car and putting a 3.0 litre in it would diminish the value no ?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Christien
Race Car

It's not pooched, but at temp on the track it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. 2 theories: 1 that the pistons are expanding too much in the cylinders and not moving as freely as they should - this theory is not supported by temp gauge readings, though that's not 100% accurate. 2. It's an oil scavenging problem where too much oil is getting into the cylinders, restricting compression and ignition. If either are correct, it needs to be rebuilt to cure the problem.

It's still fine for street driving, but completely useless at the track. I get about 2 or 3 laps in, just enough to really get the tires hot, then I'm so down on power that it's just no fun. Even a bit dangerous, especially at Mosport, because someone in a GT3 isn't expecting to find someone going about 80 km/h on the back straight.

I'd really like to do the rebuild myself, because I really want to know the insides of an engine and how it works, just like I did with my tranny. And there are lots of performance upgrades I can do while I'm in there. But with a new baby in the house and work really busy, there's not even the slightest hope of the time to do that for at least another couple years, so I'm looking for something to transplant in the meantime.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm desperate to learn the inner workings of the engine. I'd be happy to swing a hammer for you if you need a helper and pupil.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Christien
Race Car

Absolutely, the more the merrier. But it won't be until probably the winter after next.

Quick Reply: Anybody selling a 3.0L engine?