Notices

Lets hear your GPS Story here

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Lets hear your GPS Story here

The GPS devices have come a long way, we rely on them to get us to where we want to go; but once in a while you have to chuckle about some of the directions we are given by our GPS. If you have one to share, post it here:

Here is mine - we were on our way to Buffalo, while pasting through Mississauga we decided to stop for a Micky D beakfast. Exiting Hwy#403 at the Erin Mills ramp... the GPS said "calculating route". At the traffic light at Erin Mills we made a right turn to go north... the GPS said "calculating route". We travel about 100 yards... the GPS said "if possible... make an illegal U turn", my wife and kids couldn't believe their ears... the GPS now has its own nick name.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
PG993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

My Garmin has its own mind also. i used it very loosely on our recent trip to Florida over Xmass. If I followed the routing directions I'd still be on the road comming back.

Seriously. I noticed that the Garmin does not like to use the main 400 series highways and will force you onto the adjacent parallel streets. for example- going to the GTG from, say Keele and Lawrence, it will direct you to go across Eglinton rather than the 401/427. If I'm on the 401 going to say Oakvile, it constantly tries to get me off the 401 and take the city roads. it actually recalculates as I pass the exits at almonst every exit. I must be doing something wrong. I had the same problem driving in the East coast. Does anyone know if this is bug in the software and if so how to avoid it.

Paul
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PG993
I noticed that the Garmin does not like to use the main 400 series highways and will force you onto the adjacent parallel streets
+1
For fun the other day I compared the routes back home from Brampton, using both the Garmin and the navigation system in the Phaeton. The Garmin would have me get off the 403 and drive through 2 million traffic lights on Winston Churchill while the Phaeton's navigation would keep me on the 403 to QEW and voila. Bottom line: at least 10 minutes saved on my trip back home for not listening to the Garmin
Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
webbie
Pro

Garmin user here

Case #1, going to Calabogie from TO. I need to set my vehicle type to 'BUS' to avoid going through all the back roads (gravel etc).

Case #2, all GPS are useless in MTL. Since they have constructions almost everyday everywhere, it throw all the predefined maps out of water. <rant over>
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Paul and Arnaud, check your settings - you may have "avoid highways" turned on.

Last winter at the first GP Kartways night I punched the address into my Garmin - it took me to the east side of Downsview park, at the National Defense building. Even though the map shows the street going through, you can't get out of the parking lot - you have to go back out to Sheppard and drive all the way around. The Garmin, however, insisted that I'd arrived at my destination...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

Paul and Arnaud, check your settings - you may have "avoid highways" turned on.

Last winter at the first GP Kartways night I punched the address into my Garmin - it took me to the east side of Downsview park, at the National Defense building. Even though the map shows the street going through, you can't get out of the parking lot - you have to go back out to Sheppard and drive all the way around. The Garmin, however, insisted that I'd arrived at my destination...
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by PG993
Seriously. I noticed that the Garmin does not like to use the main 400 series highways and will force you onto the adjacent parallel streets. for example- going to the GTG from, say Keele and Lawrence, it will direct you to go across Eglinton rather than the 401/427. If I'm on the 401 going to say Oakvile, it constantly tries to get me off the 401 and take the city roads. it actually recalculates as I pass the exits at almonst every exit. I must be doing something wrong. I had the same problem driving in the East coast. Does anyone know if this is bug in the software and if so how to avoid it.
Hey Paul, I have a Megelan but maybe they're similar in some ways.... when I go into the Trip Planner section there is a Route Method option that allows me to select the Fastest Time, Shortest Distance, Least Use of Freeway or Most Use of Freeways. Once I set the selection it seems to govern the routing whenever I enter a destination in the Enter Address section. Give that a try... .
Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Lue

Here is mine - we were on our way to Buffalo, while pasting through Mississauga we decided to stop for a Micky D beakfast. Exiting Hwy#403 at the Erin Mills ramp...
Well Mark ... I can see your first problem ... you should have stopped for a Timmies breakfast! 403 - Exit at Mavis ... head south about 1.6 kms ... on your left hand side ... no more problem!

I've had a few interesting things happen with my built in NAV system ... my first time out east ... I drove the Cabot Trail ... well I guess the furthest east GM thought anyone would drive would be New York City (actually, it's West Quoddy Head, ME) ... because half way around Cape Breton Island ... I drove off into the Dark Zone! Nothing on my map! Just Black!

Mark
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

it is preprogammed to avoid all vette visited destinations
Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
it is preprogammed to avoid all vette visited destinations

Wow ... that does not leave very many destinations.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Christien
Race Car

Just the podium...

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Well Mark ... I can see your first problem ... you should have stopped for a Timmies breakfast! 403 - Exit at Mavis ... head south about 1.6 kms ... on your left hand side ... no more problem!
Hey Mark, I think you're right, the Micky D breakfast wasn't as good as I remembered... I'll remember for next time!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Just the podium...

LOL

Podiums are reserved for the Audi's.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TomTom story.

Mine had me turn right, do a U-turn and turn right back onto the road I was originally on.

It had me turn onto a gravel road that was 10km long - which if it wasn't frozen and snow covered, I wouldn't have followed.

The voices on it can't pronounce many street names. My wife actually thinks it has a speach impediment.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Just the podium...

Quick Reply: Lets hear your GPS Story here