Notices

OT - Cheap camera for science project

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Cheap camera for science project

My grade 7 son needs a digital camera for a science project. We are going to remove the IR filter and use it to detect heat.
Concept was proven using an old one of mine but it got sacrificed during testing.
His budget runs to , oh, $20 or so. memory size, resolution, etc. all unimportant.
looked at kijiji etc but nothing found in west end.
Car content:
it takes this much boost: ----------------------------------------to go this speed:------------------------------------ When you are pulling this:
Attached Images    
Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I have seen some really cheep digi cams as key chains, I think can-tire even has them.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Bob D..
Instructor

Yeah we've looked a them but they are a bit too low end.
OUr tests were using a 10 year old 1.3mp Kodak
Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

I have a Kodak LS443 which the battery pack stopped holding a charge and it was easier to get a more modern camera than bother replacing the battery. It is a 4MP and was a good digital camera in its day. Only problem is that I no longer have the cables, etc. so it won't power up but if you are dismantling it this may not be an issue. Alternatively, I have a very, very old Sony Mavica digital camera which works but is so old that the resolution is terrible (it literally burns the pictures to an old style floppy disc inside the camera).
I would be more than happy to give either or both to a gradeschool science project. I work in Brampton (407/Airport Rd) and live in Milton. Let me know if you want them and we can make the arrangements.
Steve
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob D..
My grade 7 son needs a digital camera for a science project. We are going to remove the IR filter and use it to detect heat.
Concept was proven using an old one of mine but it got sacrificed during testing.
His budget runs to , oh, $20 or so. memory size, resolution, etc. all unimportant.
looked at kijiji etc but nothing found in west end.
Car content:
it takes this much boost: ----------------------------------------to go this speed:------------------------------------ When you are pulling this:
Bob, what happened to that project you were working on to better your lap times. I believe you referred to it as a, Transdimensional Testicularenhansing Teleportation device. If memory serves me correctly.

aka Twin Turbos
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Check Kijiji or Craigslist....I'm sure you can find one but if not, the local pawn shops will have something for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
I have a Kodak LS443 which the battery pack stopped holding a charge and it was easier to get a more modern camera than bother replacing the battery. It is a 4MP and was a good digital camera in its day. Only problem is that I no longer have the cables, etc. so it won't power up but if you are dismantling it this may not be an issue.
Steve - this sounds about perfect, although my son does need to power it up.
I think there is a port to connect directly a 5V power supply, so I suspect that it will work just fine.
I work in Milton (25 & 401) and live in Etob. Maybe you could PM me a phone number and we can tee something up.

And Eshel - I actually finished the project, but when aiming it to perform the TTT (abbreviating your description) I accidentally pointed it a few inches too far to the rear, and, much to my surprise, I wound up with a TurboS clone.

car content - anyone else have one of these?
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, what is it, a Lotus or a Caterham? I realy would love to have one of those...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

1969 Series 3 Lotus
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

" I wound up with a TurboS clone.

If that's the case, life must be Good!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM