Notices

Info on 1985 Porsche 911 at Bero Motors on Kipling in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Info on 1985 Porsche 911 at Bero Motors on Kipling in Toronto

I've never owned a Porsche but have wanted one for a long time. I almost purchased one in 2005. Went to go arrange a PPI 2 days after it was available and it was sold.

Car was venetian blue. I continued to look and never found one as nice. I ended up buying a 1985 Ford Mustang with less than 100k, original paint, t-tops and loaded with working air. Really fun car! But I've realized that I want a daily summer driver that's a Porsche 911!

This all started because I was driving up Kipling and saw this car outside Bero Motors. Here's what I know:

Car is certified. Has 150K Miles. Is venetian blue. Wants $14K.

Car was a trade in at Bero Motors. Wondering if anyone is familiar with the car or was an owner.

Bero Motors is closed Saturdays and I've not had the chance to take a good look at it.

Thank-you.

Joe
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,038 Likes on 738 Posts

14 K for a Carrera is pretty good actually , pretty much what i would expect in todays market. All car values are down . If it checks out and has a good history and PPi I think that would be a good deal .
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Purely emotional purchase. Hence my concern. 14K is a good deal although mileage is higher than I would want.

Problem is Bero motors is only open until 6pm and I can never get down there in time.

I've always wanted the blue without the rear wing. Was hoping somebody knew about the car.

Joe
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Andre at Bero is a good guy. He rebuilt my daughter's VW (see blog below). Ask him about the previous owner and if he knows, he'll tell you.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure you get a PPI and mileage is not a factor in these cars. Condition is. If it has had it's rebuild, gear box work, and a new clutch that car will be good to go for a long time. On the other hand, if it is burning a lot of oil and you are grinding gears then you are going to be in a world of hurt.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen the car a number of times at Andy's (he does my VW's and has also done some work on my Porsche). The car has been with Andy for some time, and I think he was at one point looking for $16k.
Like Phil, I think Andy is a good, straight forward guy and will readily disclose any information he has about prior ownership. The car as far as I have heard/seen had some rust around the front end (mostly tank area) which Andy fixed up (I saw it with the tank removed and an empty can of Por 50 standing near by). I don't think he has done much with the engine/transmission, although last week he mentioned that he might "freshen" up the engine over the winter if the car hasn't sold. My recommendation, if you really are looking for a car of this vintage, is to ensure that body/structure is sound. From what I saw underneath (at a mere quick glance as it was up on the hoist), it looked pretty clean, although someone at some point before Andy must have attempted to lift the car by the rockers and put a noticeable dent on either side just rear of the doors (which is obviously more aesthetic than structural). If the body/structure works for you, then either work something out with Andy on the extent of the "freshening up" that he wants to do and the extent to which you want the car to run for you, relative to the price you negotiate. Depending on the extent of rebuilding required, I would consider that into the my offer (both body and mechanical).
For myself, if this was "the car" for me, I would want to repaint it (or parts of it) as it has a few scratches/small dings/a couple of small bubbles and genearally looks a little "tired".
If you want, and Andy doesn't have any pictures handy, I can drop by one day and take a few photos for you and send your way.
Good Luck
Old 12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Bahama:

Thanks of the offer. I actually live in the neighbourhood. Just don't seem to have the time to get down there with enough time to look at the car. Can never seem to "escape" work in enough time to get there.

Based on the positive feedback on this board regarding Bero motors, I'm going to get down there to look at this car. I'm looking for a daily driver although the rust may disuade me.

My mustang has no rust and for that matter, nor does my daily driver (an 8 year old subaru outback, that I would like to replace which seems ridiculous 'cause I would just buy the same car again).
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Bahama
Pro

Hi Steam Mill,
http://personal.inet.fi/surf/porsche...sche/911guide/
For your interest if you haven't already done some research on Porsche (areas of rust concern) particulars about matching numbers, etc.
I guess the next question is "Will the car fit under the Christmas tree" ??
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM
jesus3l2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, if you want some help, I live downtown and I know well the "type G" 911 because I got one for a couple of years. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I am from France and it seems that here in Canada, PPI's are common. Whatever, if you need some advice just ask!

Cheers

Jérôme
Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jesus3l2
Hi, if you want some help, I live downtown and I know well the "type G" 911 because I got one for a couple of years. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I am from France and it seems that here in Canada, PPI's are common. Whatever, if you need some advice just ask!

Cheers

Jérôme
The PPI is just another way to protect your investment. Kind of knowing what you are going to be up against.

As far as the car price is concerned, there is no such thing as a sub $20k car of this vintage. Etiher you buy one that is in good shape for $20k or you get one for less and pay the difference bringing it up to $20k or more.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
jesus3l2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky, you have the PPI (I don't know if it's really efficient but it seems to be). In France, you just have friends from forums(similar to this one) who would be able to help you to asses a car. I will be in the same case than steam_mill in a couple a weeks. I intend to leave my 911 in France for the time I am to spend here(3 years). Therefore, I will be looking for another here. But my intent is not to buy a great one but one that I would be able to upgrade to an "R-type like". I don't know what is steam_mill's intent. But buying such a cheap car might lead you to many problems (maybe it's a bargain?)
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The $20K rule Justin mentioned is surely playing itself out with my car. Pay now or pay later. But it's not such a bad thing to pay later, because you get to know the car very well, and you know the work was done right. Though not by design, that's how I've done it.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Bahama
Pro

I agree with Christien/Justin, as I did the same with mine (bought in low then spent $$$$ on bringing up to par/or in some cases beyond). I now know exactly what was done (had some control over who and how well it was to be done). Buying someone else's $20k version of refurbished vintage may not exactly be yours. Try to find the wiggle room with Andy. Whatever you save, you can surely put to good use in the manner you see fit. The watch out, as with any used car purchase, is spending beyond your potential return on investment.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama
I agree with Christien/Justin, as I did the same with mine (bought in low then spent $$$$ on bringing up to par/or in some cases beyond). I now know exactly what was done (had some control over who and how well it was to be done). Buying someone else's $20k version of refurbished vintage may not exactly be yours. Try to find the wiggle room with Andy. Whatever you save, you can surely put to good use in the manner you see fit. The watch out, as with any used car purchase, is spending beyond your potential return on investment.
In fact, maybe you can negotiate with Andy to pay him less for the car but tell him he will make that money back and more becuase you will use him for service. Now, I don't know Andy, but I am assuming that if he was going to refresh the engine, he must be a Porsche guy. Also, you will have to watch out for conflict of interest (I.e., he might charge more later for service in order to make his money back). From the way people talk about him here, he seems like a pretty honest guy though.

Quick Reply: Info on 1985 Porsche 911 at Bero Motors on Kipling in Toronto