Notices

Winter tire shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
P1-EH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter tire shortage?

I've been told by a few different tire stores that there is a shortage of winter rubber because of the new mandatory winter tire law in Quebec. Anyone else experienced this?

I just got my C2S Cab, and I need to get wheels/rubber for the winter ASAP. I have used Tirerack.com in the past, but the dollar ain't what it used to be. Does anyone know a good place to shop for them in the Kitchener/Waterloo area?

BTW, one tire guy in TO told me that the mandatory winter tire law is coming to Ontario in a few years. First I've heard of it.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P1-EH
BTW, one tire guy in TO told me that the mandatory winter tire law is coming to Ontario in a few years. First I've heard of it.
No doubt another Fantino law.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

BTW, one tire guy in TO told me that the mandatory winter tire law is coming to Ontario in a few years. "
how does that make Fantino money? I get it with winter tires more poeple can speed safely and more tickets for the ca$h grabbers...that is all they are interested in anyways.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Tire Rack will probaly still be Cheaper... try www.1010tires.com
Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I also found that there was a tire shortage. They are still available in certain sizes but it all depends on how popular your tire size is. In addition, a warehouse in Quebec with 4,000 winter tires in it burned to the ground last week. Try all of the usual forums, craigslist, kijiji and ebay as well as Rennlist to see what is available second hand.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Despite our dollar where it is, I'm still doing TireRack for my wife's Caddy SRX. It needs tires/wheels and TPMS. For all that, it's still cheaper after the exchange and shipping cost.

As for the law coming to Ontario, I hope it's just a rumour that will never come true. I'm all for snow tires, but I don't think it should be law. It's just another area where government is interfering where it shouldn't be. Soon they'll have speed limiters at 110 km/hr for every car sold here.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Despite our dollar where it is, I'm still doing TireRack for my wife's Caddy SRX. It needs tires/wheels and TPMS. For all that, it's still cheaper after the exchange and shipping cost.

As for the law coming to Ontario, I hope it's just a rumour that will never come true. I'm all for snow tires, but I don't think it should be law. It's just another area where government is interfering where it shouldn't be. Soon they'll have speed limiters at 110 km/hr for every car sold here.
At least if they implimented speed limiters, it would be a "real" solution to speeding. As opposed to the money grab we are dealing with now. Not that I am suggesting they do that though.

Another tire place to try is Wheels Direct in Scarborough. They are well priced and have a great selection and stock.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
alniri
AutoX

Originally Posted by Zookie
Tire Rack will probaly still be Cheaper... try www.1010tires.com
agreed. Their shipping is very prompt too. Got my tires in less than a week.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Another tire place to try is Wheels Direct in Scarborough. They are well priced and have a great selection and stock.
I second that. Now that I'm in Newmarket I can't find a half decent place.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
P1-EH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alniri
agreed. Their shipping is very prompt too. Got my tires in less than a week.
I just placed the tirerack.com order this morning. Rubber and wheels. I hope they get here soon..
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by P1-EH
I just placed the tirerack.com order this morning. Rubber and wheels. I hope they get here soon..
I did the same. Both TO dealers were out of tire/wheel combos with nothing coming until mid December.

Tire Rack was cheaper even with the tax and duty/brokerage fees. Damon thought they would get here before weeks end.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
No doubt another Fantino law.
Many countries have mantatory snow tires....they're better than all seasons in the winter, period. Mark, you've probably seen just as many tests as i have.

I'm sure we'd all be in favor of actual driving skills being taught like in Finland (go watch top gear..see Brad's thread for details if you havn't), but you can't drive like Fin if you don't use the proper gear .
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,039 Likes on 739 Posts

what a strange coincidence , guess where I was Friday ..yup ... last year I went to Bradford Pensylvania to visit a refinery. Last week I went to tire rack in South bend to get some tires.
Picked up 4 fuzion HRis for the Audi ( use it in summer only , also picked up 2 225 50ZR16 Kuhmo ecstas and 2 205 55Zr16 Kuhmmo ecstas for a grand total of 528.00 US.
Not bad for 8 tires I would say ! didn't have to pay any shipping or duty as i was there since Monday - Friday for work. \
Huge place

Last edited by theiceman; 11-17-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Many countries have mantatory snow tires....they're better than all seasons in the winter, period. Mark, you've probably seen just as many tests as i have.

I'm sure we'd all be in favor of actual driving skills being taught like in Finland (go watch top gear..see Brad's thread for details if you havn't), but you can't drive like Fin if you don't use the proper gear .
Yes I'm aware of the tests, winter tires are better but people should still have a choice. It's also the draconian way that they heavy handedly impose these laws.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Yes I'm aware of the tests, winter tires are better but people should still have a choice. It's also the draconian way that they heavy handedly impose these laws.
The difference here is that this law may actually have a positive impact on accident reduction and potential lives saved. There are approximately 600 accidents every time there is a snow fall in the GTA. A much more intelligent move than impounding cars doing 50 over thinking that will stop street racing.

Quick Reply: Winter tire shortage?