Notices

Tool cabinet drawer organizers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tool cabinet drawer organizers?

Okay, so I got an amazing tool cabinet complete with a butcher-block-top work surface from the wifey for my b-day, but I need some advice. While the drawers have non-slip mats, I can't see how a bunch of sockets and wrench will stay organized every time I open and close the drawers. Is there anyplace local that sells socket and wrench drawer organizers?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Try Sears at Sherway. They have wrench and socket organizers. Canadian Tire probably has something as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good idea to look at both places - there are different designs and I have found that some looking around is useful
There is also occasionally something useful at Princess Auto.
I have some of the clip-type metal strips for sockets, and I don't like them. i think the ones that are little posts are better, although I have most recently used a row of magnets from Lee Valley to hold individual sockets.
Do your drawers come prepared for dividers? If so your best bet will be to go to the manufacturer.
Then of course there is always the Snap-on tool guy.
Another handy place is Metric Storage - I used their stuff for all my garage, and one of the neat things is a modular system of little plastic boxes that fit together to make up all sorts of useful storage options. - you can get a bit of an idea from the photo:
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow Bob, that's well laid out! I found these online and just ordered them. That should do the job.
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried that organized thing once, and I found that I spent more time organizing and maintaining organization than I do hunting. My tool chest is still organized - top drawer has metric wrenches on the left, metric sockets on the right, 2nd drawer has imperial wrenches, socket ratchet wrenches and a few small tools, 3rd drawer medium size tools, 4th screwdrivers, 5th large tools/hammers. But when wrenching on the Porsche, I've found that the same 5 or 6 sockets and wrenches get used for 75% of the jobs, so why spend all the time organizing dozens of sockets and wrenches I rarely if ever use? When I rebuilt my transmission, I kept the tools I used on the workbench, and in the end, I had maybe 10 things out. IIRC, all the nuts were 11mm with few, if any, exceptions.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

^ +1...I did the exact same thing.

One mroe thing, make sure you have at least 2 of everything. 3 of everyting is my magic number.

Quick Reply: Tool cabinet drawer organizers?