Bill C-568 150 kph Speed limiters after 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Bill C-568 150 kph Speed limiters after 2010

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublica...e=1&File=24

Liberal MP Karygiannis introduced this ridiculous idea and Andrew Telegdi seconded it. This has to be one of the worst thought out bills I've heard of. There are stats provided about traffic fatalities, but none with any details of how many involved cars traveling at speeds over 150kph. This would spoil an awful lot of track days for anyone who didn't use a dedicated and unregistered track car.

Karygiannis’ Bill will help stop Highway Carnage OTTAWA - The Honourable Jim Karygiannis, Member of Parliament for Scarborough-Agincourt, stood in the House of Commons today to introduce a Private Member’s Bill which will help to stop the carnage on our highways - “An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)”. “Each summer, we witness carnage on our highways caused by excessive speed.” said Mr. Karygiannis. “This legislation will require all vehicles manufactured after January 1, 2010, to be equipped with speed limiters so that the vehicles cannot travel at more than 150 kilometres.” Mr. Andrew Telegdi, the Member of Parliament for Kitchener-Waterloo, seconded Mr. Karygiannis’ Bill. “Our roads and highways are not part of the Grand Prix or Indy 500 circuit. There is absolutely no need to go any faster than this.” said Mr. Telegdi. “Speeding reduces your ability to manoeuvre or stop your car safely and decreases the reaction time you have in a hazardous situation”. According to Transport Canada, 2,889 Canadians died in vehicle collisions in 2006 (latest reporting year). Transport Canada also reports that speeding was involved in close to two-thirds of these accidents. “There is no reason for your vehicle to be able to travel at 200 plus kilometres. That is twice the posted speed limit.” Mr. Karygiannis commented. “One Canadian is killed in a motor vehicle accident every three hours. We have to stop this bloodbath!”
Old 09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

If an election is called this bill will be stillborn.

Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1984 or 2010 Orwell wasn't wrong just off by a few of decades, sadly I may add.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! I'm gonna kill the 2010 911 on the straights
Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Writ to be dropped Sunday at 8 AM ... bill dies ....
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cross yer fingers...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:06 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

But if they do that then where will their revenue generation come from?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

ECU Flash? BIG MONEYY!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are going to limit vehicles at 150 and claim that "there is absolutely no need to go any faster than this" then 150 is ok. Under what circumstances will it be ok to travel at 150? Secondly, why stop there if speeding over 100 is illegal then why not set the governor at 100, hold on I have a better idea lets equip all vehicles with GPS so that any time we speed on any street we can be tracked in real time and a ticket can be issued automatically and wait that's not all how about anything over 150 and the car shuts down when you reach a safe speed and have a written guarantee that one of the vulchers will arrive within 15 minutes or it's free, hey lets make it 130km/hr. It's unfortunate these ******** have to resort to such marketing tactics to justify their meaningless existence. DICKS!!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Highly doubtful that this law would ever come to pass. The cost to implement it would be prohibitive since manufacturers would be responsible for making this change to Canadian cars only...which represents a very small % of the North American market. The auto industry can be a pretty powerful lobbying group in Ottawa and when they want something done, they can usually get their way. Think of the fiasco with the "additional" anti-theft system they were requiring for cars sold in Canada for the 2008MY...that didn't last long. Or how about harmonizing the bumper regs with the US? You think politicians suggested that? Nope, the auto industry did to save a bundle. So some pecker head politico in Ottawa just decided to do a little grandstanding in the name of safety.
What depresses the hell out of me is that with a near certain election looming, I feel like all the choices on the ballot are going to be crap...once again. Won't somebody with ethics, common sense and a genuine need to make Canadians lives more enjoyable step forward, please!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Won't somebody with ethics, common sense and a genuine need to make Canadians lives more enjoyable step forward, please!
Why would they? We're all in the private sector trying to find a way around draconian governmental regulations, a taxation system that penalizes you for working hard and a "justice" system that rewards stupidity.

I've said for many years that Canada is great country DESPITE its government.

Just last night Stef and I were talking about the upcoming election and she said she wished someone with real passion for our country would step up to the plate. She said she didn't even care what party they came from, so long as they had a deep caring for our country, and its best interests in mind. I couldn't agree more. Love him or hate him, we haven't seen that kind of leader since Trudeau.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, a lot of vehicles already have limiters so the gov. will probably still go ahead.

Technology is a wonderful thing but you can imagine what will happen to vehicles 20 years from a big brother control standpoint.......
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default you might want to do the same

Had time to kill so I wrote to the morons in Ottawa:

Dear Mr. Karygiannis,
that's it. After a lifetime of being a Liberal supporter, your ridiculous proposed bill has made it clear that you and your party want to increase government intervention and meddling at every possible level and I will now vote for any other party but the Liberals. We want less government not more!
This bill (if it ever sees the light of day) will be costly to the battered automotive sector and to consumers alike. Since you don't seem to have given this any thought whatsoever, let me educate you a little: Canada's automotive sales volume represents a smaller market than the state of California in the eyes of the global manufacturers. Requiring them to add costly devices to "Canada only" vehicles would result in many manufacturers opting out of offering the same line-up to Canadians and then passing on the compliance costs to consumers. I am a proverbial car-guy in both my hobby and in my profession and I've owned several high performance cars, some of which were capable of close to 300 km/h, yet my driving record is spotless with no accidents, speeding or traffic tickets. Now how can that be? Wouldn't I simply be tempted by my sports cars to drive recklessly and endanger myself and others by the lure of all that power? Don't I need my government to protect me from those evil engineers that created such weapons of death? No I don't because I am not a child needing a nanny state, but an adult in charge of my own actions and responsible for the consequences of them. I have spent money and time becoming a better driver through advanced training and legal high speed racetrack events in my normal everyday cars and I want to continue to enjoy that freedom! I will respect (if not always agree with) the speed limits, but when I go and play with my cars on the track, I want to be able to enjoy them fully without restrictions. And no, I'm not interested in buying a race car for only that purpose; I'm not a race car driver or ever will be, just an automotive enthusiast.
If you are really serious about making our roads safer, then I suggest you look to Europe as an example of how to get things done. They have sensible speed limits (usually 130 km/h) there that are very strictly enforced with very stiff penalties as opposed to the artificially low limits that we have whose sole purpose is to generate additional revenue for the police forces and insurance companies (thorough punitive rate increases for even minor speeding tickets). Drivers training in countries like France is mandatory and rigorous with new provisional drivers required to log a minimum of 3000 kms accompanied by a parent who has been tested by an approved instructor. After which the driver's log book is reviewed and another written and road test required before a full license is granted. Have you investigated how this compares to the simplistic requirements for our so called graduated license system here?
We live in the largest land mass country in the world yet our transportation systems are like a third world joke. Our airline system encourages a monopoly, our rail system utilizes ancient slow technology with trains that are unreliable while we sell state of the art Canadian made high-speed trains around the world, our urban transit system is certainly not half as good as the world-class systems of Paris or New York, yet cost users twice as much to use as in those cities, and our roads are falling apart everywhere!
I'm pretty sure that your proposal is nothing more than political grandstanding to play to some special interest group that might have a few extra votes for you in the upcoming elections. But hey if you're really committed to lower transit speeds, forget the speed limiters... actually forget cars all together and bring back the horse and buggy! The emissions of those "vehicles" will be right in keeping with the hot air and manure you and your party are dispersing with such ill conceived motions.
Regards,
Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Vote for Phil

Quick Reply: Bill C-568 150 kph Speed limiters after 2010