OT: Setting Up Wireless Printing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Setting Up Wireless Printing

I have the bell sympatico router and a canon printer (one of those office type all in one thingies).

How do i set it up so that my 2 macs can print to the printer wirelessly if they are on my wifi network?

I'm assuming either the main gateway computer has to be on (my pc in this case) or i have to buy some kind of wireless adaptor for the printer?

The latter solution would be prefered so that i don't have to keep 2 computers on 24/7 leeching power.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

My printer is set up onto the network and I can print via any of my laptops. Does your printer allow it to be connected to the router?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ not sure..how would i check that
Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ not sure..how would i check that
Do you have a cat 5 connector on the printer? That's what I have to connect my printer to my network.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:34 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

If your printer doesn't have an ethernet (cat 5) port or doesn't officially support networking or if it only uses a USB port, then if you were using an apple airport base station (or timecapsule) for your wireless set-up, you could make it a network printer by plugging it into the usb port on those. Very easy set-up.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
If your printer doesn't have an ethernet (cat 5) port or doesn't officially support networking or if it only uses a USB port, then if you were using an apple airport base station (or timecapsule) for your wireless set-up, you could make it a network printer by plugging it into the usb port on those. Very easy set-up.
not sure if it has a cat5 on it. it has 3 thingies on the back..they all look like phone lines tho, not a network connection.

one is for handset, one is for line and one is for something else..its a canon mf4150 laser all in one printer.

EDIT: it is connected to my PC by a USB cable. should i just get the airport or time capsule then and call it a day?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
not sure if it has a cat5 on it. it has 3 thingies on the back..they all look like phone lines tho, not a network connection.

one is for handset, one is for line and one is for something else..its a canon mf4150 laser all in one printer.

EDIT: it is connected to my PC by a USB cable. should i just get the airport or time capsule then and call it a day?
It doesn't look like it supports ethernet just USB 2.0. Get a 1 TB time capsule, ditch the sympatico wireless router (saves you a few $) and you'll get easier wired and wirelss connectivity and a great automated back up system for all your macs using the time machine software (you need to be using Leopard though).
Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Why not just share the printer on the PC? Then on the MAC, browse to the device and connect. It works and best of all, costs nothing. http://www.mac-connect.com/smb_print_mac.php But the PC does have to remain on in order to print.

Otherwise, find a router with a USB port that can serve as a print server. Be careful though. Many routers that do come with USB only support external hard drives or optical drives. It has to specify can be used as a print server. Something like this: http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=1&pid=482

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 09-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

or buy a wireless printer card (make sure it is compatitble with your os)

Quick Reply: OT: Setting Up Wireless Printing