Notices

How do accidents on private property get dealt with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do accidents on private property get dealt with?

Long story short, my friend reversed into my car with her minivan in our other friend's driveway.

Bumper is dented, little scrape on the light, something is leaking..probably washer fluid. Nothing that should need to go thru insurance since none of these parts are expensive (it was the Mazda3, not the 996)

Still, just in case she does decide to not pay, how long do I have to file an insurance claim and is it automatically 50/50 if it was on private property or is she 100% at fault for reversing into me regardless of private property or not?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah I think it would be 50/50 if she doesn't fully admit her guilt. Settle it amicably without the insurance thieves.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Yeah I think it would be 50/50 if she doesn't fully admit her guilt. Settle it amicably without the insurance thieves.
i have a witness so i think if she comes in and takes my side it would be 100% her fault. sounds like we will be able to settle it out of pocket and leave the insurance out of it.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a similar situation at the train station parking lot. I got three quotes for repairs which I gave to the woman that hit me. I told her which place I preferred and she paid the shop directly. Fairly painless for me but not for her! Her mistake cost her the thick end of $900.

When's the Ducati arriving??
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ducati will arrive when i decide whether or not to get ether the duc, aprilia or triumph..so many bikes so little time. will be here for next season tho...depending on how bad the snow is (if the roads are dry i'll be out towards the end of feb again).
Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Understood. I like your taste in bikes. The 848 is a beast. Although, I'm starting to like the fairing-less bikes these days. Like the Monster or the Speed Triple. Must be my old age. Have fun with the search.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Ivc
Advanced

If you've got a witness that she backed into a stationary vehicle, then it's on her 100%.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Omar, you have 72 hours to make a claim to the accident reporting centre. I would call them just to confirm that time frame. When my Audi got rear ended, I got the quote immediately, sent it to the guy and told him that he had to have the money in my hands before the time on reporting it expired or I would call it in. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Had soemthing like this happend with my father last weekend at a gas station. He settlled with the guy a few days and $600 later and everyone was happy. The quote for the damage was just under a $1000. His beater car is not worth fixing so it stays as it is.
So settle with her if you can and be resoanble othrwise seh might be forced to take it though insurance.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

screw it. issue resolved, not quite to my satisfaction, but whatever..a 200$ loss to find out who your friends actually are is worth paying.

Stig, i was looking at the speed (well..street) triple and its awsome, but the streety is TINNYYY! i couldn't believe how small the bike looked when i rode on it. Its got the most ***** out of the monster, shiver, triumph naked competition but i dunno...i think i'd pick the Aprilia Shiver if i had to go with a naked.

What are you riding right now?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

No bike for me. 4 wheels or no wheels. Wife and two kids to pay for. Although I just came home from driving a Formula Ford race car. Look for my pics in another thread.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
screw it. issue resolved, not quite to my satisfaction, but whatever..a 200$ loss to find out who your friends actually are is worth paying.

Stig, i was looking at the speed (well..street) triple and its awsome, but the streety is TINNYYY! i couldn't believe how small the bike looked when i rode on it. Its got the most ***** out of the monster, shiver, triumph naked competition but i dunno...i think i'd pick the Aprilia Shiver if i had to go with a naked.

What are you riding right now?
Good you got it resolved, but for the record, whether private property or not, if she hit your stationary car and parked legally, she is 100% at fault, so you don't pay your deductable. You have 1 year to make a claim with the insurance company.

Quick Reply: How do accidents on private property get dealt with?