Notices

Dexter Days at Calabogie Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Dexter Days at Calabogie Review

This was a two day event that took place at Calabogie August 8 and 9. Review follows:
August 8
5:15am start from my summer home 80 km south of the track. Skies look threatening all the way there and rain was forecast. Arrived at 6:45 and went through registration. As I had been to the track 3 times before, I didn't need sound check. I took the "instructed option" for the 8th and instructors were Pierre Savard and Keith MacIntosh. There were 8 of us in the instructed group and we did a lead/follow for 45 minutes, followed by a brief classroom session. Track was damp, but Calabogie has PLENTY of grip..no wet line required.
The other group went on-track as we were in the classroom. Within 15 minutes, track went red. A Viper ACR coupe went off between Beak and Throat and ended up on top of the tire wall. Track went green with waved yellows between Crown and Hook. Flatbed was called and between flatbed and tractor with forklift, car was finally removed.
A good group of approx 20 cars with GT-3s, a GT-3 RS, A fully rally-prepped EVO and a supercharged 3800 CC Fiero.
Track dried up nicely and with unlimited lapping much fuel was consumed. I took an instructor as much as possible. Pierre Savard is a very demanding and agressive instructor and I really benefited from my sessions with him. At the end of the day, I had Pierre drive my car (2001 996 cab). Sorry Pfaff, the driver doesn't need a new car, the car needs a better driver! What an experience.
One amusing anecdote (out of many with Howard being in top form). The GT3-RS had a no-contact spin. Driver had his young daughter in the car. When he came in, daughter jumped out of car and yelled gleefully "Daddy spun, Daddy spun!!". Very funny. A terrific group of drivers with much courtesy and patience shown to slower drivers like me. I am an expert at being passed!
Rain started at 4:40 so I packed it in for the day having driven 360km. Torrential rain for most of the way home.
August 9
A more civilized departure time of 7:15am arriving at 8:30 to sunshine and happy drivers. A few additional cars arrived including a 996 GT-2, a trailered C5 Z06, a WRX STI and my pal's EVO. Both the Subaru an the EVO had coil-overs and slicks and I was waiting for the show-down. Unfortunately, the Subaru trashed a left front tire so no comparison was available. Howard took me for a drive in his new Boxter S and again, my lack of talent was exposed! I still have a smile on my face. No on-track issues and we enjoyed mostly dry conditions all day. Sprinkled a bit in the pm, but stlll lots of grip. Headed off 4ish having driven 310km.
Conclusion
A great track, terrific instruction, a fun group of fellow drivers and a well-run event. Thanks to Howard and Marc, my best event of the summer. Highly recommended and I will be back next year.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, Ian! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I can imagine you are quite exhausted after 2 days back to back like that.

Any pics or video to share?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Sounds like fun. I was supposed to go, but had too much work and the weather forecast on my mind! Not to mention a HUGE debit in the "wife column" from the previous weekend at Mosport!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Originally Posted by fryd
Not to mention a HUGE debit in the "wife column"...
LOL, I like that! I almost "broke the bank" at the Challenge weekend in Tremblant last month!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
One amusing anecdote (out of many with Howard being in top form). The GT3-RS had a no-contact spin. Driver had his young daughter in the car. When he came in, daughter jumped out of car and yelled gleefully "Daddy spun, Daddy spun!!". Very funny.
No helmets correct?

I heard the RS came within a rabbit hair of the wall. Obviously he was travelling quickly.

IMO there is no way anyone should take a child out for hot laps on an open lapping day.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
No helmets correct?

I heard the RS came within a rabbit hair of the wall. Obviously he was travelling quickly.

IMO there is no way anyone should take a child out for hot laps on an open lapping day.
Totally agree.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

R****
Yes, I had to be very careful to guard against mental fatigue. Given the unlimited lapping format, I decided to have my own schedule of 25 minutes on and at least 20 minutes off. I found Pierre Savard's instructed sessions to be particularly tiring as he was pushing me to my limits (very modest limits I might add). Sorry, no vids or pics. I'll have to connect with you to get advice on vid equipment.
AS far as the GT-3 spin, both driver and child were not wearing helmets. I did not see the spin, so I can't comment on how close to the wall it was.
Fryd, too bad you weren't there. My pal from Utah was there and he runs a 964 Cup and a 993 Cup in PCA and HSRE. Both cars have race history in the Euro Cup series. We were speaking with Courtney about the cars and my pal was explaining about the high reliability and low running costs compared to more modern machinery.
I was very fortunate this week. My goal is now to improve longevity of my 01 996 given Pierre Savard's demo of the capabilities of my car. I was waiting in Pfaff Audi for my wife's car to be serviced and Brad Meise stopped by and told me that they had just taken off a third rad from a car that they thought I may be interested in. Immediately, my name was on it and Pfaff Tuning extended a great deal to me. Thanks Brad!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Originally Posted by rideau
R****
Yes, I had to be very careful to guard against mental fatigue. Given the unlimited lapping format, I decided to have my own schedule of 25 minutes on and at least 20 minutes off. I found Pierre Savard's instructed sessions to be particularly tiring as he was pushing me to my limits (very modest limits I might add). Sorry, no vids or pics. I'll have to connect with you to get advice on vid equipment.
AS far as the GT-3 spin, both driver and child were not wearing helmets. I did not see the spin, so I can't comment on how close to the wall it was.
Fryd, too bad you weren't there. My pal from Utah was there and he runs a 964 Cup and a 993 Cup in PCA and HSRE. Both cars have race history in the Euro Cup series. We were speaking with Courtney about the cars and my pal was explaining about the high reliability and low running costs compared to more modern machinery.
I was very fortunate this week. My goal is now to improve longevity of my 01 996 given Pierre Savard's demo of the capabilities of my car. I was waiting in Pfaff Audi for my wife's car to be serviced and Brad Meise stopped by and told me that they had just taken off a third rad from a car that they thought I may be interested in. Immediately, my name was on it and Pfaff Tuning extended a great deal to me. Thanks Brad!
I think you may be referring to Pierre Savoy (as opposed to Savard?). If so, I had the privilege of receiving instruction from him last month at the Advanced Ferrari Pilota in Mont Tremblant. Yes, I found Pierre to be an outstanding instructor- demanding, but with clear, concise recommendations. I was also lucky enough to spend some recreational time with him and hear his stories about when he started racing, as well as his personal relationships with Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve. Great guy.

Sounds like you were wise to implement your own 25 min on, 20 min off routine. Especially at Calabogie, where the sheer number of turns to remember must be mentally taxing in itself!

I found the "taking the child for a spin" issue compelling enough to pose the question on the OTD forum. Couple of interesting perspectives, so far: http://www.ontrackdriver.com/general...ld-hotlap.html

Cheers. We'll have to make sure to meet up at another track day before the end of the summer/fall!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
LOL, I like that! I almost "broke the bank" at the Challenge weekend in Tremblant last month!
No worries, I've got your back.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
Totally agree.
Agree for sure.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Yes, Pierre Savoy...apologies. I had lunch with Pierre at the fabulous Mumford's Gas Bar, Restaurant, Tackle Store and Nascar Bikini outlet where we discussed racing and the sweeping/mopping techniques of a very attractive young waitress. All very interesting!

Quick Reply: Dexter Days at Calabogie Review