Notices

Reccomendation for company to raise garage door tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts
Default Reccomendation for company to raise garage door tracks?

I need to raise my garage door to accomodate a lift and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good company to do this work for me? Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a guy who can do a good job, he does residential and industrial doors. he's also a huge gear head. shoot me a PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had these guys put a raised track, new door and jackshaft opener in when I installed my lift in my garage. They did excellent work and had the best price around. I would highly recommend them. They might remember me if you mention they did mine last fall, with the white 996.

www.bjelec.ca
Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Donuts, you are the second person to reccomend BJ. I'll call him first to see what he has to say and then will follow-up with Deadeye. thanks again
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

you've got a PM
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Hey Donuts, I had Ben come by and give me a quote on my garage doors. He quoted raising the one bay with a jackshaft opener for $1,200 which was just about $350 less than doing the work and installing a new insulated door. Our house is brand new and the builder used the crappy wood composite doors, so it looks like we are getting 3 brand new doors and 3 openers...

Did you go with the insulated type? Carriage doors by any chance? Thanks again for the recco!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What a timely thread. I'm building a house and raising the garage tracks is on my list of things to-do. I've got 10' clear ceilings and a double garage with a single door. So I hope to cram a four post lift in there at some point.

Do jackshaft openers work with a single (double width) door?

I'm installing garage doors from Hormann. My friend had them installed in his house. You can't hear them open or close they are so quiet. Its because of the ultra quiet nylon wheels and bearings. I think you can retro-fit nylon wheels to existing garage doors too.

Mark - go for an insulated steel/aluminum door. I'm big on low maintenance and they'll help keep the garage warmer. If your garage door frame is made from wood get it capped in aluminum too. Any aluminum siding guy can do that for about $300. That way you won't have to paint the wood frame every few years and it won't rot as fast. I'm in Oakville too. What colour is you Cayenne - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cliff
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Hi Cliff, YEs, the Jackshaft opener will work on the double width door based on posts that I have read on other sites. Call Ben to be sure though, he is very knowledgeable. Yep, I'm going with Steel Insulated with an R14 insulation by CHI. A number of enthusiasts have recommended them and this is what Ben advised me to consider. To be honest, I thought the price would have been higher, but I have 3 doors to buy, so it is still a pretty big expense. About $3,700 for all 3 doors and openers...

My Cayenne is black...like most I'll keep an eye out for your car also!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark, glad things worked out with Ben at BJ. I was also happy with the crew he sent over, I can't remember their names though. Yes, I went with an insulated door (not carriage type) and it's great, my garage is about 10 degrees warmer in the winter now. In the summer it stays pretty hot but thats probably just after parking the hot car inside and trapping all the heat.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Cliff can you recommend an Aluminium guy to cap the wood around the garage doors? I'm in Burlington.

Bill
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

what lift are you considering??
I too have 10 foot ceiling joists and will likely do the jackshaft-opener.
At the moment I am trying to build another garage.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

comatb - I had the work done (3 years ago) by a friend's relative who is in the business. The work was fairly simple. It only required 3 pieces of aluminum per door opening. Then caulk around the edge that meets the brick. I no longer have his number but will contact my friend and find out if his paesan will come out to do the work. I'll PM you either way with details.

hpuck - I was gung-ho on Bendpak and was going to contact their sales office to get details about international delivery and all that good stuff. Then two things happened - I read (on rennlist) that they sub contract some production for some of their mid-rise lifts to a company in China. I don't know if this is still true of their 4 post products. The second is that my cousin works for the police force and spec'd out lifts for the them. They went with Rotary Lifts. They have a Canadian distributor located in Mississauga and they're all American made. The main draw for the Rozzers is that some of the larger (12,000lb lifts) can be installed partially submerged/below grade for underground access. He recommended I take a look at their product.

There are 2 or 3 local lift sellers that are offering very attractive prices (under $2,000) but they either don't say where they're built or allude to overseas manufacture.

I think 10 ft clear is pretty good unless you need to park an Escalade under your Porsche.

The only jackshaft opener I've seen is the LiftMaster. Don't know if they are any other ones. If I can't get a jackshaft, I'll get the top of the line Home Depot model but have the multi piece tent pole replaced with a commercial one piece pole for better and quieter performance.

Hope I've helped.

Cliff
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cliff. I have a garage door guy who replaced my 'builder' doors with insulated Steelcraft doors and Genie openers that did an excellent job and my doors(one double and one single) are very quiet.

Bill
Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 AM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Thanks CLiff,
My GDO guy is a client Adams Garage Doors in Markham and he uses the Liftmaster one.
I have been seriously looking at the Direct Lift 4 post with the jack option. They were recommended by another r'lister to me.

Bill
Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bill - I'll give Direct Lift another looksy

Quick Reply: Reccomendation for company to raise garage door tracks?