Notices

Laser jammer-Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 09:38 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

Default Laser jammer-Ontario

Are they legal here? Can they be detected if you switch off right after a contact?
Old 06-29-2008 | 12:44 AM
Shemmer
Pro

If you watch some of the test videos on You tube it seems that as the cop aims at you, like any other car, it takes a second or two for the gun to obtain a reading. In order to not be suspected of having a jammer you probably have about 1 - 2 seconds after the cop aims at you and hits the trigger to:
1. Realize you have been hit
2. Immediately hit the brakes and come down to the posted limit, and
3. Turn off your jammer.
otherwise it is clearly obvious that you have some sort of jamming device because that's as much time as the gun needs to get it's reading.
Old 07-03-2008 | 02:22 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

To answer...illegal I believe. Just ask any cop on this board.
Old 07-03-2008 | 02:28 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
To answer...illegal I believe. Just ask any cop on this board.
Nowadays, they're more likely to say, try it and find out.

Hmmm, I wonder. Could using a radar detector/jammer where's it illegal to use, constitute stunt driving? I wonder if the cops can make an argument for that. You'd lose more than the detector that's for sure. And by the time you find out that it isn't, the damage will have already been done.
Old 07-03-2008 | 07:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I believe that the jammer is suing a frequency that is not covered under the radar detector law. not that I would use or codone the use of one.
Old 07-03-2008 | 07:49 PM
old man neri
Drifting

If they tried they could probably say you were obstructing a police investigation, obstructing an officer, or whatever you call it.
Old 07-03-2008 | 08:03 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Laser guns will get a reading on you immediately. It's laser....speed of light. A jammer will emit a bunch of light (similar to the laser) in an attempt to jam the gun when it detects you've been shot. It does not emit radio frequencies.

If you get shot, slow down, turn off the jammer, allow the cop to get a reading on you (at the speed limit)...

If you don't have a jammer, slow down, pull over and take it up the rear.
Old 07-03-2008 | 09:26 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

there is quite a thread on the west coast group about laser jammers that is worth reading. I believe the Ontario law is specific for radar detectors,but since we are quickly catching up to them with being over policed on our highways I am sure there will soon be more interest and experience with laser jammers.Any legal opinion on obstructing police using one?
Old 07-05-2008 | 04:58 PM
cdncanoer
Advanced

I've had one for a while now and always turn it off right after I hammer the brakes. It's saved me a few times and worth every penny. Mine is very covert, but I don't want to risk suspicion, that's why I turn it off.
Old 07-06-2008 | 06:57 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cdncanoer
I've had one for a while now and always turn it off right after I hammer the brakes. It's saved me a few times and worth every penny. Mine is very covert, but I don't want to risk suspicion, that's why I turn it off.
Interesting... and how much covert do you think you are now,
since there are cops in this board, and other cops just lurking here?
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:34 AM
Shemmer
Pro

cdncanoer, just sent you a pm
Old 07-06-2008 | 08:46 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

The one I use auto.shuts off 10 sec. after been shot at .. afterward that they can get a reading so techinically it is not a full time jammer therefore legal in my part of the world .

Cheers Guy
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:46 AM
cdncanoer
Advanced

Did I say I've had one for a while now.... oops fat fingered... meant to say I had one a while ago when I lived in Los Angeles, but when I moved to Canada I had it removed from my P-car since they are illegal... there now I feel covert again....

PS - So far this looks to be a copless thread.
Old 07-07-2008 | 01:08 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Here's a couple of decent forums with lots of information of the various types of detectors and jammers.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/
http://www.speedtraphunter.net/

Here is a Canadian law enforcement site. Interesting to just lurk in this one.
http://forums.blueline.ca/
Old 07-07-2008 | 03:15 PM
PPo
Drifting

A little off topic, but I once had to discuss with a female Police officer at length how my on-board air/fuel ratio computer had nothing to do with a radar detector/jammer. I guess she assumed that if it had flashy lights and dials it must be illegal...

The only way I convinced her that it was for engine management was by showing her how badly I can make the car idle with a few adjustments...

My nieghbours can smoke crack on thier front lawn, deal drugs on thier porch, drink on the street, but I can't drive the speed limit in a Porsche without getting hassled regularly... seems fair.

-P

Quick Reply: Laser jammer-Ontario