Notices

CMP lapping at Calabogie June 24

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default CMP lapping at Calabogie June 24

Anyone going? It will be my third time at Calabogie but my first with TMP...rookie session at 7:30am and I'm looking forward to it...please, no rain.
Ian
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My report as follows:
Left my summer home at 5:45 am and within 6 km had my reaction time, brakes and heart tested by a beautiful deer bounding out directly in front of me. Both of us survived unscathed. A 100 km ride to Calabogie and the trip from Perth to Calabogie is enjoyable..great road, great scenery.
Got the noise check completed (for those of you with sports exhausts, keep under 4K rpm) and then off to drivers meeting.

Drivers Meeting
CMP made it clear that the object of the exercise was safety, driver education and fun, not learning how to race. Bonnie (in charge of Marshalls) gave a comprehensive flag and red flag procedure briefing. Of interest is the debris flag is also used to warn of deer, bear and wild turkeys on the track.

Orientation
This costs $50. and is mandatory for both drivers without track experience and those who haven't attended CMP before. First was a classroom session where an instructor briefed us on the track and passing zones and pass signals. Those with track experience were then excused for their sessions. An instructor in the car is mandatory for all categories of drivers attending orientation.

Instructors
All were qualified PCA instructors. My instructor was Phil from Rennsport region. Phil checked my helmet and did a quick once over of my car.
He was a very good instructor and layered advice over time rather than blurting everything out once. Our first session was to get me reaquainted with the track and session 2 was more of the same. I was signed off to go solo after that but was welcome to request more instructed sessions. As I really learned a lot from the instructed sessions, I got him back in the car after lunch. We tried different lines and worked on technique. Solo again (more on that in the safety section), then Phil was back with me for the last session. I always thought that I looked up when driving and certainly have been told to do so many times. Phil deduced that I was a "cone to cone" driver and we worked entirely on vision for the last session. Phil's deduction was absolutely correct and this session of Phil constantly telling me where to look during the entire 25 minutes really improved my driving.

The Track
fabulous and in perfect shape....cloudy and cool in the am, sunny and warm in the pm.

Other drivers
Approx 20 drivers segmented into 2 run groups. Sessions were 25 minutes...certainly enough for me on a demanding track.
A good and courteous group. Interesting cars were 2 F430 Ferrari race cars and an Audi R8. The F430s sounding fabulous and the Audi really is a beautiful car.

Safety
All flagging stations were manned and you were waved onto the track. I was in earshot of a discussion between the chief instructor and a driver after one session, The review of his driving (I believe the word cowboy was used) was clear and much to the point...no wasted words.
On my last solo session of the day, I found my concentration lapsing halfway through. Missed an apex, then missed another one. I heard the words of John Mahler, Apex head instructor loud and clear....make 2 mistakes, come in and I cut my session short....a good thing I'm sure.

Conclusion
Distance travelled on track was 310 km...a lot of driving and a lot of fun.
I will be back for two days July 8 and 9 and certainly will sign up for more days...great track, an excellent instructor and a very well run event. Highly recommended.
Regards
Ian
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

good review, can't wait to get back to it with UCR this july.

Quick Reply: CMP lapping at Calabogie June 24