Notices

Anybody use Hockley Autosports before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use Hockley Autosports before?

Maybe scheduling a PPI next week. And this shop might be the closest to the owner (though it is still out there). But they are saying 4-6 hrs (closer to 6hrs) to do a PPI on a 993 with compression and leakdown. Does that sound too high?

I have already posted in 993 forum. I know there are other shops in the GTA (Autowerks, etc.). What do you GTA folks think?

Thx!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:34 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with Hockley Autosports, so I cannot comment.

What I can say is the following:
- 3 to 4 hours should be a maximum for a PPI with compression and leakdown tests. 6 hours is overkill IMHO
- I do not think that a compression test and leakdown test are an absolute must for a PPI: I would recommend that you pick a reputable shop who has tons of experience with the model/car that you are interested in and ask them to drive it, look at it and drive it more. They will tell you if they feel something is not right with the car and suggest a compression and/or leakdown test if they think it is required in order to confirm.
My car is a 993, and the shop who did my PPI said that a compression / leakdown test would be a waste of money, in view of their PPI conclusions. 3 years & 20000 miles later, I could not agree more.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 PM
PPo
Drifting

Hockley Autosport is an awesome shop... They really know thier stuff and I have always seen excellent work from them... They don't cut corners and hence can be more pricey...
Old 06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

doing a ppi IMHO without compression and leakdown would be a waste of money. what is the point in doing ppi whithout finding out condition of internals? while they have the plugs out have them swap them for a new set, definitely woth doing while they are out. also not a bad idea to be present for ppi to observe, and learn.
where is Hockley? maybe I would attend ppi with you. when is it being done?
please let us know details on the car you are considering.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hockley Autosports is owned by Ian Mcquillan, he is a PCA member and a long time Porsche Mechanic. He is a bit of a perfectionist and a straight guy, so if he himself is doing the PPI I believe you're in good hands. He used to be crew chief on Karl Thompson's Grand Am Cup team, they won the VIR race in their first year in the series. Since the shop is way out in the boonies they service all makes and models, but their service doesn't come cheap.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I was always of the understand that leakdowns and compressions were more useful for diagnostics on cars like mine - older, with over 100K on the clock. A newer car shouldn't need it. When I sold my 99 boxster, Mantis did the PPI for the buyer and they said hey, we're happy to take your money and do the test, but it's really not necessary at all. In the end, the buyer decided he wanted it.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:06 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I was always of the understand that leakdowns and compressions were more useful for diagnostics on cars like mine - older, with over 100K on the clock. A newer car shouldn't need it. When I sold my 99 boxster, Mantis did the PPI for the buyer and they said hey, we're happy to take your money and do the test, but it's really not necessary at all. In the end, the buyer decided he wanted it.
I am glad I am not the only one thinking that way. A leakdown test is definitely a diagnostic tool: under pressure, if you hear air coming out of the tailpipe, it indicates a leaky exhaust valve: air coming out of the throttle body point to a leaky intake valve; air coming out of the breather vent or PCV valve fitting would tell you the rings and/or cylinders are worn.
A leakage test can also be used in conjunction with a compression test to diagnose other kinds of problems. A cylinder that has poor compression, but minimal leakage, usually has a valvetrain problem such as a worn cam lobe, broken valve spring, collapsed lifter, etc... If all the cylinders have low compression, but show minimal leakage, the most likely cause is incorrect valve timing. The timing belt or chain may be off a notch or two. If compression is good and leakage is minimal, but a cylinder is misfiring or shows up weak in a power balance test, it indicates a fuel delivery (bad injector) or ignition problem (fouled spark plug or bad plug wire).
But for sure the car will show obivous symptoms that a good shop (familiar with the model in question and used to driving it) will uncover without the tests.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I previously agreed to purchase another 993tt, it was taken to a well respected pcar shop that specializes in 993s, the car had 25 k miles on it. It drove great according to shop owner and previous race car driver. only after doing leakdown was it determined that the engine needed to be pulled and about $25k engine job.
these engines are not easy to pull out and parts are not cheap, and usually takes at least a couple of weeks to do. even though miles are low PO may have missed a shift and over revved or something. for a few hundred dollars you should do these tests to avoid any suprises. Often mechanics will cut corners and not check all 6 cylinders so have them change the plugs and give you the old ones.
sorry guys but it is not worth rolling the dice on such an expensive engine.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

$25K for an engine rebuild? Where? Granted I'm more familiar with the 2.4-3.2 engine range than the 3.6's, but 25K seems ridiculously high to me. A full pro rebuild for a 3.2 should run no more than $10-$15K, and that's with EVERYTHING done, professionally, all new parts and all available upgrades. Parts for a rebuild run approx. 2K not including upgrades, everything else is labour.

Hell, I can BUY a rebuilt 3.6 for under 15K!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

993s are 3.6 and for a turbo it is not uncommon to surpass $25 k mark for a rebuild. these parts are very expensive and labour intensive. these engines are described as bullet proof but not idiotproof so if taken care should last but stored incorrectly or overrevved and take out your check book. which is why a leakdown is essential before committing to one of these IMHO.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

go to the 993 board and ask these qs: how important is leakdown in ppi. and how much to rebuild an engine?
you will see where I get my opinions.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

if you do the upgrades you can throw in another $25 k to total about 50, (that is what RUF charges for a conversion, including turbos)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Christien
Race Car

True, I wasn't thinking turbo numbers. Ouch.

Even before reading those figures, a 993 is old enough that I'd pay for the leakdown and compression. After reading those figures, there's no way in hell I'd skimp out on an extra couple hundred bucks.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I just did some reading on the 993 na forum and it seems a ppi should include leakdown and compression, it takes an extra hour for someone familar with 993s. however a full rebuild is around 10k, not the 25 I mentioned earlier. one mechanic won't do a ppi without the leakdown and compression tests
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Where is Hockley Autosports and do you have a contact number?

Quick Reply: Anybody use Hockley Autosports before?