painting a car in Canada vs US

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right off the Canadian Border Services Agency website:

Modifying an item outside Canada

Under customs legislation, if you take any item outside Canada and change it in any way to enhance its condition or value, the CBSA does not consider it to be the same item when you bring it back into the country. You have to declare the full value of the new item.
Example

You take an old diamond ring with you on a trip outside Canada. While outside Canada, you decide to have the diamond taken out of the old ring and placed in a new setting. When you return to Canada, the ring will be considered new and must be declared accordingly.

Even if part of the ring originated in Canada, the CBSA is required to treat the ring like any other piece of jewellery you may have purchased while outside the country. This rule applies unless you have previous authorization from us to have those repairs or alterations made outside Canada.

Repairs or alterations to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft

If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with the CBSA before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST) on its entire value when you bring it back.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Yikes.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Customs agent : "bend over please!" (it is not a question)

You : "yes sir!"
Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

one of the many unfair legistlations in this backwards country. thank god for health care ...oh yeah that doesn't work very well either.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kunkstyle
Right off the Canadian Border Services Agency website:
Repairs or alterations to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft

If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with the CBSA before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST) on its entire value when you bring it back.
Next year I'm considering getting Motons and springs installed in my car. There is a great shop in Seattle that works on GT3s all the time and knows how to install these bits and set the cars up. I'd like their level of expertise, but wouldn't want to pay taxes on the entire value of my car!

I took the website's advice and talked to a nice border guard yesterday about this. The vast majority of time you'll be fine getting repairs/alterations done to your car. If it's a "needed" repair like your car broke down and you needed something fixed, then there are no taxes/duties. If it's optional, then you get to pay taxes/duties on the parts and labour of what you had done.

Fair enough.

Where the above quote comes into play is if you take a car and you get someone like Chip Foose to make you a cool car, that's when you get to pay taxes/duties on the entire thing because now you've really changed what you had. You now have a "Chip Foose" car and not just an old Buick.

I was thinking of taking my wife's SLK down to see Mike Lavalle and get him to do his magic on a paint job, but that isn't going to happen anymore. That's a case where his artistry could make me have to pay thousands extra in taxes on the entire value of the car.

High quality aftermarket shocks/springs just aren't what these rules are meant for.

Check with your local border dude in your area to be sure.

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM
webbie
Pro

if I painted my car in hello kitty color and "decrease" the value, it's okay for the custom, correct?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Never thought I'd hear Porsche and Macco in the same sentence.

If you're on a budget, look for a good local shop instead. I had my very first car painted at Macco for a few hundred twenty years ago and it was absolute crap. Not only was the masking job terrible but the orange peel made it difficult to see any kind of reflection and the little reflection there was, was replaced by heavy spider webbing after the first wash. Maybe they've improved after 20 years but if I thought they were that bad at 16, I'm sure I would think less of their workmanship now.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bestline Bodyshop ???

I believe Bestline Tech has a body shop facility as well. If so why not give em a call... see what shakes out.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's the border guy going to know you had your car repainted anyway? They see like a zillion cars every day.

I'd get it done and not be concerned about it.

Assclown border b.s.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

mark Lue is right, send a message to Raymond Lum on rennlist. he runs bestline auto and they have a body shop. His prices are reasonable on bodywork.

Quick Reply: painting a car in Canada vs US