Notices

OPP office charged under street racing law

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Let face it, in reality impounding an OPP cruiser would be pretty stupid.

Just like if a DND vehicle was caught 50 over, it would be pretty silly to impound it. Not to mention they don't have normal licences.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
.... 4,500 convicted at a minimum of $2k per person.
Their "goal" is to get over the 5,000 mark this w/end, according to the news. They rented a second plane to help reach that number ... plus motorcycles, unmarked cruisers, etc. Although, sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic up the 400 ...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I went throught 3 speed traps on the 416 yesterday and passed a cruiser going the other way.

Beautiful sunny day and they're picking off fish in a barrel. Like 125 is dangerous.

Where are they when the weather is ****ty and some lunatic is driving way too fast for conditions???
Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure he gave himself a stern warning!

We know, from his choice of career choice, he takes law enforcement seriously.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:46 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

You know one impact that all these bull**** laws will have on Canadian society is less and less respect for the police and all government officials.

I'm now 46 and I know that I have a hell of a lot less respect for the law vs. my dad did when he was the same age.

The same goes for all my friends who are my age.

I know that this comes across to my kids. I know that when I was a kid there was no questioning the law or the police. This is not true today. Look at what going on with the taser incidents here in Vancouver.

The police and the government in general should really be aware that there is a whole generation like myself that really do not have one ounce of respect for them. We are not just some kids who will grow up someday. I am a middle aged professional (Chartered Accountant) and I think that when people like myself and my friends start to lose all respect for the law and the officers of the courts things are bound to get interesting.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:17 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

Give police a law which, if used with discretion ,might be useful to take some maniacs off the road,and actually expect them to use discrtetion? Not when the bad example is set right at the top-Il Duce Fatino
Old 05-17-2008, 02:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
You know one impact that all these bull**** laws will have on Canadian society is less and less respect for the police and all government officials.

I'm now 46 and I know that I have a hell of a lot less respect for the law vs. my dad did when he was the same age.

The same goes for all my friends who are my age.

I know that this comes across to my kids. I know that when I was a kid there was no questioning the law or the police. This is not true today. Look at what going on with the taser incidents here in Vancouver.

The police and the government in general should really be aware that there is a whole generation like myself that really do not have one ounce of respect for them. We are not just some kids who will grow up someday. I am a middle aged professional (Chartered Accountant) and I think that when people like myself and my friends start to lose all respect for the law and the officers of the courts things are bound to get interesting.
+1. Laws like this really create an "us and them" atmosphere. No one wins.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:26 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dislike this law as well, more specifically that the police officer gets to be judge and jury. However, I feel the intent of the law is reasonable and fair.

Do you really think it's ok to be doing 50km/h over the speed limit? Is it ok to be doing 90km/h down a side street or 140-160km/h on our pothole filled, bumpy highways? When I was in Germany, even when the speed limit de-restricts on their perfectly smooth Autobahn, most drivers do 120-130km/h.

For those bashing the police, I'd bet that you would want no one else but a police officer to come to your rescue if you were stuck in a terrible situation. I was robbed in B.C. where the criminals were in my house at 4 o'clock in the morning. The immense relief I felt when the police arrived cannot be articulated.

I dislike the wording of this law and I dislike the way in which it is being executed, but I have the utmost respect for our police officers. There will be bad apples here and there, but show me one industry where there aren't bad apples.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

What Canuck964 said........I am 48 FWIW and have lost absolutely all respect for law enforcement types..........tasers and tickets (eerr...tax receipts) have a funny way of doing that.

fc-racer

If someone broke into my residence at 4:00 AM all you'd need to do when you finally got there from the nearest Tim Horton's is call the coroner to pick up the bodies of the perps, and confiscate one of my guns for the ballistics........so you'll have to try and pick another scenario to show where cops are usefull........to tell you the truth I am racking my brain and cannot find any..........
Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YYC930
If someone broke into my residence at 4:00 AM all you'd need to do when you finally got there from the nearest Tim Horton's is call the coroner to pick up the bodies of the perps, and confiscate one of my guns for the ballistics........so you'll have to try and pick another scenario to show where cops are usefull........to tell you the truth I am racking my brain and cannot find any..........
they do CSI work.......lab gear is expensive. lots of crimes happen outside the home, but i like your home defense logic. you need an early warning dog too

and i know, you'll argue that we should be allowed to carry firearms with us, but i wouldn't trust half the kids these days with a potato gun. in any case, even back in the wild west when people took their saftey into their own hands, they had a sherrif and deputies to oversee things.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
What Canuck964 said........I am 48 FWIW and have lost absolutely all respect for law enforcement types..........tasers and tickets (eerr...tax receipts) have a funny way of doing that.

fc-racer

Dem's harsh words... I don't like the law either but lets not lets not make the mistakes of a few... cloud the good job that the majority of the law enforcement community does.

Quick Reply: OPP office charged under street racing law